Release the Sprite Sheets to us!

Old C&I threads.

Release the Sprite Sheets to us!

Postby Devour » Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:56 pm

Come on, loftar or jorb! Release the sprite sheets to us, so we can play about with them, and maybe make a forum for additional sprites that people've made. I think a couple've people ( especially some of the DF guys that might come over ) could do some real nice work on sprites for creatures for you guys.

Also, far distant future suggestion: Place materials such as rare plants or ores deep in the wilderness, but make it so it's impossible to grow them away from where you got them ( at least for the plants, the ores should probably be transportable ). In addition, I think that the murder skill should be changed completely, and instead it should be easier to kill a player the further away you get from civilization ( or, in this case, the RoB ) or the penalties should be less harsh to the killer the further you are away. This is assuming you're thinking of implementing penalties.
Devour

Re: Release the Sprite Sheets to us!

Postby fldash » Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:02 pm

In a full permanent death game, the murder skill needs to be much harder to get and to use and the penalties for doing such need to be thought about carefully regardless of the location on the map.

As for releasing the sprites, I think that allowing the community to help build the game in a way that doesn't interfere with their licensing ideas is a good idea. I would volunteer to help work on code, but it seems they are doing a good job of it and you have to be careful of having too many chefs in the kitchen.

They have been extremely responsive and understanding of the new players which was why I got a little angry when players started talking about quitting over yesterdays changes. This is about as much of an 'alpha' gameplay test as there can be...
fldash

Postby Devour » Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:04 pm

These changes are why you really have to be glad to have Dwarf Fortress'ers playing your game, as - when faced with overwhelming odds and difficulty - we just dig our heels in and try and eke a living out of the side of the mountain.
Devour

Postby Dennislp3 » Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:51 pm

Yes if you have experience with dwarf fortress you know "Losing is fun!" and while we arent really losing all the issues simulate it very well ;)
Dennislp3

Postby Devour » Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:39 pm

Dennislp3 wrote:Yes if you have experience with dwarf fortress you know "Losing is fun!" and while we arent really losing all the issues simulate it very well ;)

You know what's even more fun? Collapsing the goblin tower from underneath!
Devour

Postby Devour » Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:52 am

Also, even a blank sheet with the directions creatures are moving would do. =p
Devour

Return to [ARCHIVE]Critique & Ideas