Dungeons/Caves/New enemies

Old C&I threads.

Dungeons/Caves/New enemies

Postby RaptorJedi » Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:04 am

I just had an idea for dungeons or caves, which I guess could fit in with the quest system. I was thinking of having a few randomly spread around the world, with ring level enemies inside. It'd be neat to be roaming around and find a cave that has a sleeping bear inside, or a group of bandits. And then when you clear it out, they each have their own respawn timer of I dunno, a few hours, and then something else comes in.

I also thought of a few new enemies, like lynx, wolves and badgers. I'm not sure if you're gonna go a more mythological route and include things like dragons, or else I'd list those too.
<Megagun> FOx
RaptorJedi

Re: Dungeons/Caves/New enemies

Postby Rift » Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:30 am

...maybe mines could come with monsters in them that you would have to clear out to use the mine.
Rift

Postby RaptorJedi » Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:39 am

I thought of something similar to that, where the mine had small pockets of already mined out areas, that had monsters inside them. Almost like digging too deep in Dwarf Fortress. Maybe having one or two be super powerful, and you would need to call in friends to help.
<Megagun> FOx
RaptorJedi

Postby loftar » Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:50 am

Fortunately for you, we have already thought of all those things and a couple more really cool things. :)

Many of them are to be implemented the next time we deal with the map generator, others are just pending graphics.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby shockedfrog » Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:52 am

I like parts of the idea in theory (being able to clear enemies out of a mine and then it becomes usable for a certain period of time) but the benefits of doing so should be limited to an increase in mining speed or slightly better availability of existing ores, nothing that would penalize solo players or worse, force them into yelling LFG all day.
shockedfrog

Postby RaptorJedi » Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:04 am

Or maybe make it so the tougher monsters are blocking higher level ore veins. Like gold or something. Or maybe a chest with gems or rare seeds or steel or whatever.
<Megagun> FOx
RaptorJedi

Postby shockedfrog » Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:16 am

I think I'm going to sound like a stuck record, saying 'Reward teamwork, don't penalize solo play' over and over again.
shockedfrog

Postby RaptorJedi » Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:19 am

Yeah. I see what you're saying, and it makes sense, which is why I think mega monsters (ones requireing a group) should be rarer. Something where you can get a group of guys together to kill it, but you won't find one every time you strike the earth (:3=).
<Megagun> FOx
RaptorJedi

Postby shockedfrog » Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:33 am

It is understandable that some parts of gameplay will not be available to solo players. My focus is more on the rewards or other aftermaths of those parts of gameplay, which will have an effect on the parts of the game that should be fully enjoyable by solo players. So it doesn't matter how rare these mega monsters are, what matters is that the rewards for/consequences of defeating them are not things that unecessarily spoil parts of the game that solo players should be able to take part in fully.
shockedfrog

Postby RaptorJedi » Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:36 am

I see that. I agree with you. It could be solved by having mega monsters be a few levels higher than the current zone (like ones in the brodgar mine are as hard as things out where the Bay 12 guys are.)
<Megagun> FOx
RaptorJedi

Next

Return to [ARCHIVE]Critique & Ideas