Dungeons/Caves/New enemies

Old C&I threads.

Re: Dungeons/Caves/New enemies

Postby shockedfrog » Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:41 am

Could you explain that further? I'm not quite sure I see how that has anything to do with it.
shockedfrog

Postby theTrav » Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:49 am

new monsters ey... I've got one for you...

E
theTrav

Postby RaptorJedi » Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:54 am

Well, like say you're mining in the mine in Brodgar, and a mega monster pops up in there. It would be as strong as say, a bear when you first encounter them around rings four or five.

And OH NO! An elephant! Not as bad as a carp though. If you wanted to scare me, it would be a carp :3=
<Megagun> FOx
RaptorJedi

Postby shockedfrog » Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:56 am

I didn't ask you to repeat what you said, I asked you to explain why that had any relevance to my point. :)
shockedfrog

Postby theTrav » Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:57 am

Solo players are going to have less resources and typically lower stats and lower quality equipment than a group of players given the same amount of play time...

Having a challenge that effectively requires a group of players (like a mega monster that produces lots of resources and LP) is going to mean that group players get those resources and LP and solo players don't. The only way the solo players will be able to access those resources is by purchasing them from groups.

It is unlikely that the solo players will be able to gain LP at the same rate as a group dedicated to gaining LP, particularly if there are a number of these mega beasts to slay.

I think that states the problem shockedfrog has... I don't really agree that it is a problem, so long as the megabeast resource isn't critical to a lot of fun in the game. I also however, don't see much value in having the megabeasts in general, but that's a question of my own play preferences (I'm heavily into social interaction and economics over combat and really only enjoy combat if it's also a social interaction i.e. pvp)
theTrav

Postby RaptorJedi » Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:01 am

Ah, well I was thinking of it as more of a way for solo players to be able to get the same thing as group players, only they would have to work harder for it. Or something.
<Megagun> FOx
RaptorJedi

Postby shockedfrog » Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:55 am

Thanks, Trav, much clearer than I ever am. :) However, it wouldn't be so much of a problem if the resource could be bought from those groups at a reasonable price, but being rare resources the cost will be great, and that's if they're willing to sell them to outsiders at all. There's the possibility of stealing them, but they would likely be defended to the point that the methods required to steal them would only be available to groups, which is not a bad thing in itself but doesn't solve the problem.

It's hard to say what makes a resource 'critical to a lot of fun in the game'. i'm one of those people who looks for every purpose for everything and would be disappointed to miss out on anything, whether it's a sword or a balloon animal. I obviously don't expect to actually get everything, but if things are closed off for no particularly good reason then it's like I'm playing a cut down version of the game.
shockedfrog

Postby RaptorJedi » Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:00 am

Aha, now I get what you mean. I think that if there were monsters guarding something valuable that would be useful, that killing the monster for access or treasure would just be one of a few ways to get at it. Like say it guarded a chest that had gems used for making necklaces, those same gems could have a small chance to be mined up, and the monster would just be a somewhat easier way of obtaining it.
<Megagun> FOx
RaptorJedi

Postby shockedfrog » Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:07 am

Yes, that sounds reasonable (obviously the whole thing needs all kinds of subtle balances, but sound in theory)
shockedfrog

Postby theTrav » Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:51 am

Another potential option for solo players is to do some mercenary work, and lend your sword to an established groups large monster hunt in exchange for a share in the spoils
theTrav

PreviousNext

Return to [ARCHIVE]Critique & Ideas