Dungeons/Caves/New enemies

Old C&I threads.

Re: Dungeons/Caves/New enemies

Postby Laremere » Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:57 am

I think custom types of coins are required, as 100 coins would basically have the same value as the bar it was made out of, so why then would you use coins? If leaders made coins, then they could set the value of the coins to whatever they want. If they make lots of coins, they may for a short time be "richer" as they could buy a bunch of stuff, but on the other hand they soon run into problems of inflation, where their money is now useless. They would have to make a balancing act of keeping value to their mint, while possibly making some profit on minting coins.
Laremere

Postby jorb » Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:29 am

Laremere wrote:I think custom types of coins are required, as 100 coins would basically have the same value as the bar it was made out of, so why then would you use coins?

Increased divisibility, of course. No one would trade a steel bar for a full quiver of arrows. No one would trade a steel bar for 60 full quivers (simply because no one needs that many, and because storage has a cost in itself). The market, also, is probably not predictable enough yet to allow for the kind of long term investment that 60 full quivers would be. One steel coin, one hundredth of a steel bar, on the other hand, might be a reasonable price for one full quiver.

Laremere wrote:If leaders made coins, then they could set the value of the coins

What unit do you propose they set the "value" in? :)

Coins are a measure of value and, as such, cannot have a value in anything other than themselves. One coin is worth itself. Plain and simple. I think what you mean is "set the denomination on the coins", which is quite something else.

Laremere wrote:If they make lots of coins, they may for a short time be "richer" as they could buy a bunch of stuff, but on the other hand they soon run into problems of inflation...

Debased currencies!? Some evils should be kept out, even of computer games.

(I might consider it, as an interesting economic experiment, if nothing else. But I'm going to hate myself every step of the way. Long live the gold standard.)
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby shockedfrog » Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:39 am

Thanks for bringing up this 'Turnip, Gold, Soul' thing, Cejer, reading up further on it has been quite interesting. Anyone with a little time who needs a more in-depth look at it should go to http://www.goodman-games.com/forums/vie ... =16&t=4905 and scroll down to the 'The Three (or so) Economies' post - note that in this post, 'Wish' equals 'Soul'. The other two 'economies' mentioned are important too.

I can understand someone being willing to trade a coin for a couple of apples. However, from my limited understanding of this system so far, I think a cast iron coin would probably count as a Turnip market item, due to being able to turn 100 of them back into a bar of cast iron (or eventually trade them to others with the same intent). Cast iron is an item that everybody in the game right now either has or needs in some way in order to progress - at least, I'm not aware of any players who intend to live their entire virtual life without ever using an item that requires cast iron.
shockedfrog

Previous

Return to [ARCHIVE]Critique & Ideas