Seasons and Food

Old C&I threads.

Seasons and Food

Postby Yolan » Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:21 am

First of, as this is my first post, let me just say that I'm having a great time on this game. Good work guys! I can see that it has a lot of potential. Makes me think a lot about what UO should have been...

Some Ideas/suggestions

Currently, do we have seasonal changes? With seasons are there graphical changes, such as falling leaves, snow, etc? If not, this would be great.

How about requiring that a player eat a varied diet? Nothing too extreme, but say, if you eat nothing but apples for days on end you end up a bit sick. To counter balance the dificulties this could cause new players who can't grow their own food, or say, even fish yet, add a few new varieties of foragable foods... such as nuts and berries etc.

How about having the kinds of food that are avaliable depend on the season? So, apples aren't there all year round, you need to seek out some other food source.

Lastly, could we give food producing trees a value representing how many apples they have? This could be graphically represented with how many apples you can see. So, if the tree has three or four apples showing in its image, maybe it actually has twenty or so. If you pick them all, you are going to have to wait a while for regrowth.
Yolan

Re: Seasons and Food

Postby Gauteamus » Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:21 am

Yolan wrote:How about requiring that a player eat a varied diet? Nothing too extreme, but say, if you eat nothing but apples for days on end you end up a bit sick. To counter balance the dificulties this could cause new players who can't grow their own food, or say, even fish yet, add a few new varieties of foragable foods... such as nuts and berries etc.

The game already has a mechanic that rewards a varied diet:
The amount of food-points needed to fill the food-o-meter is equal to (or at least rising with) your highest ability level
Image<<Bottleneck>>
What if Rosa Parks had a car?
Gauteamus

Postby Dwarfu » Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:54 am

Try this for a reference,

Food Chart

I haven't finished it yet - the numbers on the left are nourishment (how much hunger it 'cures') - I guess I could change the bars on the right to indicate how much of each stat it gives, but I'd like to just get it completed on this first run through.

Is this helpful? If so, I'll continue to publish it.
Dwarfu

Postby kaka » Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:37 am

You seem to have missed that con gives 2 hp and str gives 1. :)
kaka

Postby kimya » Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:37 pm

amazing, thanks!
kimya

Postby Gauteamus » Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:24 pm

Dwarfu: that is very useful, may I suggest to add columns to the right of each sausage (and less importantly, pastry) with the ingredients.
That way one can see what is the best sausages to produce with the meat one has available. Very good job on compiling this!
Image<<Bottleneck>>
What if Rosa Parks had a car?
Gauteamus

Postby jorb » Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:28 pm

Nice chart, Dwarfu! I would like to add though that the colored bars represent the percent chance of getting a certain food event, the order of placement does not matter. I'll put a link to this in the Character Sheet sticky. :)
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby Dwarfu » Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:47 pm

Thanks, jorb, I was wondering why even when I had a near full bar of one stat color, I managed to raise another - I'll make a note of it and continue on :)

Gauteamus, I was planning adding in the ingredients, but wanted to keep the chart simple - but since you requested it, I'll go ahead. If it becomes too cumbersome, I'll split it into a different chart or see what can be condensed.
Dwarfu

Return to [ARCHIVE]Critique & Ideas