Runstones as Signposts

Old C&I threads.

Re: Runstones as Signposts

Postby Devour » Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:43 pm

The ability to "lock down" runestones for seven days or something.

Fixed, all you have to do is keep returning and locking down your runestone. I mean, this could lead to you being unable to get out of your house, but people could do that anyway if they wanted to.
Devour

Postby shockedfrog » Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:43 pm

I don't see why they should be given that protection. I would be all for some kind of signpost that can be planted and never stolen, but can be destroyed.
shockedfrog

Postby StarChaser » Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:56 pm

Oh lord. Not destroyable Runestones. NEVER do that.
Think of all the work The Stone Carver went to just so they could go have some griefer to go and destroy them all? Or what about Guy or The Wanderer?
Runestones should always stay as they are. Immortal. No matter where you hide them.
StarChaser

Postby Devour » Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:01 pm

shockedfrog wrote:I don't see why they should be given that protection. I would be all for some kind of signpost that can be planted and never stolen, but can be destroyed.

Of course you don't, considering your sole aim is to grief.
Devour

Postby shockedfrog » Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:25 pm

Star, I said 'some kind of signpost', which was meant to mean an alternative to runestones. The purpose of such static items being destroyable is that they would be abusable otherwise.

Devour, again with the attacks, which is ironic since you seem to be trying to block off as many means of attack as possible. Look at the things already in the game. Murder and theft, trespassing and stealing. As far as I see this game going, it's not about 'let's build something nobody can touch', this is a game of 'let's build something and beat up whoever tries to touch it.' There are many reasons to move runestones, whether to disorientate players who would rely on them for guidance or to become a meaingful hassle for those who later have to replace them, because while someone is distracted by a task like that, they may not be watching their own, far more valuable and usually better guarded property.
shockedfrog

Postby Devour » Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:31 pm

shockedfrog wrote:Star, I said 'some kind of signpost', which was meant to mean an alternative to runestones. The purpose of such static items being destroyable is that they would be abusable otherwise.

Devour, again with the attacks, which is ironic since you seem to be trying to block off as many means of attack as possible. Look at the things already in the game. Murder and theft, trespassing and stealing. As far as I see this game going, it's not about 'let's build something nobody can touch', this is a game of 'let's build something and beat up whoever tries to touch it.' There are many reasons to move runestones, whether to disorientate players who would rely on them for guidance or to become a meaingful hassle for those who later have to replace them, because while someone is distracted by a task like that, they may not be watching their own, far more valuable and usually better guarded property.

There's a reason that the UO developers implemented many methods of "locking down" items.
Devour

Postby shockedfrog » Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:56 pm

There may very well have been. This is not UO.
shockedfrog

Postby Dwarfu » Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:06 pm

shockedfrog wrote:It would also be nice to be able to erase a runestone a limited number of times, whether it's for fixing mistakes or reusing for different purposes or (friendly/creative) vandalism.

I just had a need for this. When I built my cabin, nothing was around me. I just put a runestone up on a path marking it as my farmstead. I eventually built a path all the way back to RoB. It has helped several new hearthlings find their way back.

But now I'd like to edit the runestone to point out that RoB is <- that way. This would be great for intersections where perhaps nothing exciting exists at the time, but when new areas become known and important, a single signpost/runestone would suffice instead of having the intersections cluttered & pointing to random things in all directions.
Dwarfu

Postby Devour » Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:15 pm

shockedfrog wrote:There may very well have been. This is not UO.

That may be true, but it follows the same idea lines.
Devour

Previous

Return to [ARCHIVE]Critique & Ideas