Runstones as Signposts

Old C&I threads.

Runstones as Signposts

Postby Dwarfu » Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:55 pm

I use a runestone or two to mark the boundaries of my farmstead and to help people find their way. However, I noticed if I put the stone on the corner of my claimed lot, no one can read it, thereby making it pointless. On the other hand, if I put it on the outside of my claim, then anyone can walk off with it.

Is there anything in the works for other signage or allowing runestones to be read from a distance (I don't think its the reading part that's the problem, its the fact you have to walk to it to engage it and you are stopped by the claim line)?
Dwarfu

Re: Runstones as Signposts

Postby Devour » Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:58 pm

Main question is: Why would someone run off with your runestone? Unless they're some kind of creepy collector, I can't imagine an actual reason for it. :?
Devour

Postby Vattic » Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:14 pm

Signposts would be a nice feature in their own right.

On the topic of people running of with things I've had my runestone moved a number of times, I have one marking my house out the front. I would imagine there will always be at least some problem with greifers.
Vattic

Postby shockedfrog » Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:32 am

While it's hard to agree on a absolute definition of griefer, I'm personally ok with wikipedia's "A griefer is a player who plays a computer game in order to irritate and harass other players, rather than in pursuit of game objectives." then, as players are mainly encouraged to have their own objectives, a player who has the objective of 'moving people's runestones around' can't be considered a griefer. The term is being overused quite a bit, I think. :)

Being able to read things from a distance sounds good to me. It would also be nice to be able to erase a runestone a limited number of times, whether it's for fixing mistakes or reusing for different purposes or (friendly/creative) vandalism.
shockedfrog

Postby Devour » Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:10 pm

If your objective is to grief / irritate / harass, then you are a griefer.
Devour

Postby shockedfrog » Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:03 pm

That's an overly simplistic definition that totally misses the connection between griefing and gameplay. I find a lot of you guys as irritating as you might find me, but that doesn't make any of us griefers.
shockedfrog

Postby Devour » Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:12 pm

shockedfrog wrote:That's an overly simplistic definition that totally misses the connection between griefing and gameplay. I find a lot of you guys as irritating as you might find me, but that doesn't make any of us griefers.

We don't purposefully set out to irritate or annoy you. You purposefully set out to irritate or annoy us.

There.
Devour

Postby shockedfrog » Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:15 pm

I do things for my own benefit, as do you. If I did things to hurt you knowing that I would gain absolutely nothing from it myself, then that would fit your definition of griefing.
shockedfrog

Postby Vattic » Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:24 pm

I really hate to derail this topic further but here I go :P.

That really depends, you could argue that all greifers get some benefit from their actions as obviously they enjoy them, that pleasure is a benefit. So just gaining some benefit doesn't really mean your not greifing.
Vattic

Postby Dwarfu » Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:38 pm

Its all a moot point because it all leads to the same thing - someone walked off with my runestone.

I don't need to waste time questioning their reasons or intent, because I will most likely never know (hey, maybe they could leave a runestone explaining themselves! :roll: )

Who knows why people do the things they do. Back to the point at hand. We've more than identified the problem, can we please discuss solutions?
Dwarfu

Next

Return to [ARCHIVE]Critique & Ideas