Alarm clock

Old C&I threads.

Alarm clock

Postby Potjeh » Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:47 am

In my career as a baker, I've burned more bread that I've baked. I put dough in the oven, and then start milling flour or doing something else to pass the time. However, I often pass too much time, and find nothing but ashes in my oven.

So what I propose is an alarm clock item that can be added to the oven to upgrade it. It should require iron to make and maybe even a new skill - one that'd allow more mechanical contraptions, otherwise it's pointless. So how does it work? Well, we pretend that our avatar sets an alarm when he puts the dough in the oven. Once the baking is complete, the alarm goes off, which can be represented visually. Maybe the clock can jump up and down on the oven and shake a bit. This would enable us to do other stuff more easily while we're waiting for our bread to bake, as long as the oven remains in sight.
Image Bottleneck
Potjeh

Re: Alarm clock

Postby loftar » Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:51 am

Once I get around to fixing the ovens to act as predictably as they are intended, though, you'd be able to simply set an alarm clock IRL. Funny as an ingame alarm clock would be, it is my intention to make it superfluous.

And yes, I know exactly how it feels. Oh, the ashes that I've made. I am glad to share the joy. :D
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby Laremere » Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:54 am

Pro-tip: Just put as much wood into it as you need to cook it, and no more. Honey Buns require 1, Carrot Cake requires 2, Bread and Apple Pie require 3 wood. (thanks to someone else who posted this info) That way when the wood runs out, the finished product just sits there, finished, but not burnt. Also, the smoke goes away when it is done, so you know when to get it.
Laremere

Postby Dwarfu » Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:28 am

Laremere wrote:(thanks to someone else who posted this info)

That would be me...has anyone been able to see how long raisin cake takes? I have some grapes in the herbalist bench, but not sure if we can even make raisins yet...

edit: nevermind, I see the little timer wheel behind the grapes now - I could swear on tanning the timer wheel was in front of the object...
edit2: i looked again, I guess it is in front of the grapes...is it me, or do the grapes look...so...bright? compared to everything else...
Dwarfu

Return to [ARCHIVE]Critique & Ideas