Naturally spawn new trees.

Old C&I threads.

Naturally spawn new trees.

Postby Vattic » Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:35 pm

I think it would be nice if forests and even plains slowly repopulated themselves with trees.

How I imagine it working is that when say a forest has bellow a certain number of trees per tile the game would spawn new trees within that forest. It could place them a number of ways but mostly I think it should be weighted but random. I like the idea of having the trees spread, by this I mean that say there was only a small group of trees in the forest left that the new trees would spawn around the edge of this group and over time if left alone it would grow to fill the boarders of the forest. When I say weighted you'd want to avoid well walked areas and other trees and building etc.

When it comes to the plains things would most likely work differently but again new trees should appear naturally in my opinion. It would be more realistic than the uniform tree arrangements I can imagine us hearthlings building.
Vattic

Re: Naturally spawn new trees.

Postby Laremere » Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:01 pm

I think it could work like this (just throwing more suggestions into the air, not thinking your are bad):

The stumps of trees, if removed after the first few days, give the full benefit. Then the stumps turn into rotten stumps, which can be removed quicker, but with no extra wood. A few days after that the stumps disappear all together.

If there is a certain population of trees (not stumps) in an area, the forest floor would expand. If it is in a normal range of density of trees and stumps, the forest floor stays the same, and If there aren't enough trees and stumps the forest floor retracts. If there is low density of trees on the forest floor, then a tree may grow.

The ultimate goal would be if players planted a bunch of trees in an area, they could create a forest. If they kept taking trees from one edge of the forest, they forest would detract from that direction. If players however took trees evenly throughout the forest, without cutting too many down in any one area, the forest would remain the same size. You could also allow for a greater density the farther it is away from the edge of the forest.

Also, it'd be nice if areas players dug up were slowly reclaimed by grass and forest floor.
Laremere

Postby Vattic » Sun Jun 07, 2009 12:25 am

Not a bad suggestion at all, would forests naturally get any bigger from how they are when the map is genned or would players only be able to add to its size themselves?

I like the ability to cut your own clearing that your suggestion implies.

I also like the idea of it being thicker deeper in, I could imagine certain things might live deep in the woods.
Vattic

Postby Laremere » Sun Jun 07, 2009 1:46 am

I don't think naturally getting bigger would be the best idea, as places where people aren't living would eventually be consumed by forest.
Laremere

Postby Vattic » Sun Jun 07, 2009 2:02 am

Haha which I think sounds cool but I know what you mean. I'm not certain what kind of time period this game is set in but at certain times it was almost all forest, the British Isles were anyway.
Vattic

Return to [ARCHIVE]Critique & Ideas