A newbie friendly guide to Taming/Hunting

Ask, answer and discuss any and all topics about the hows, whys, wheres and whens of playing Haven & Hearth.

A newbie friendly guide to Taming/Hunting

Postby TeckXKnight » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:07 pm

An illustration of how to safely trap animals along lakes and sufficiently large shorelines for taming or hunting with very low skills and stats.

Step 1: Locate safe points to bring enemies to
Step 2: Locate the Prey, never assume that more dangers aren't hiding nearby
Step 3: Setup a trap and leave an opening, make the trap as big as you need to, to feel comfortable.
Step 4: Lure the enemy into the trap, larger traps give more time to get back into the shallows after the enemy charges at you
Step 5: Close the trap
Step 6: For taming, begin to call down the thunder to build as much initiative as you need
Step 7: To continue taming, use Evil Eye first to reduce its attack to 0, then build combat advantage with either Invocation of Skuld or Sidestep, reduce intensity to 0 with Consume the Flames or Float like a butterfly, and quell the beast
Step 8: If you're just going to kill them, simply use a ranged attack or build initiative with call down the thunder. The AI only repaths occasionally, so you can use one or two moves/attacks on them before you need to return to the shallow water to prevent them from attacking you. A simply method is build 26 initiative, Opportunity Knocks 4 times, then Valor Strike or Knock his teeth out.
Step 9: After a few arrows/rocks/punches/slashes the enemy will become docile, allowing you to safely walk beside them to improve aim speed or use moves like Charge. Check the top right corner to verify they have an olive branch rather than a sword.
Step 10: Great Victory!
Last edited by TeckXKnight on Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:39 am, edited 4 times in total.
TeckXKnight

Re: A newbie friendly guide to Taming/Hunting

Postby SpiderJerusalem » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:11 pm

good guide.

if you hunt as a team, 1 player can aggro the prey and lure it to the shallow water, than is using call down the thunder to gather IP.at the same time the other player builds the trap.than both start shooting it from their boats.

also no need to trap boars.lure them to the water, shoot them till they flee and run after them.they are really slow.
-Bottleneck-
SpiderJerusalem

Postby Jackwolf » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:13 pm

The trap is incase you want to tame them.
Beezer12Washingbeard: If poo mechanics were implemented, mercury could cure constipation wounds
magisticus: Most of us avoid making jokes like this because there is always a risk Loftar might think it's a good idea and we all have to re-design our villages for sewerage. -6/29/17
Jackwolf

Postby Lupich » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:19 pm

Please sticky this, awesome guide and exactly what I was going to do with 2 people and a boat. Glad to know I'm thinking with the right mindset.

Are shallow waters like that very common?
Lupich

Postby TeckXKnight » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:20 pm

The trap is entirely unnecessary for boars, for taming or hunting. The guide is for all animals though. It's a good method to separate pack animals from their herd or to prevent bears from running away. The fact that it was boars in the example was out of sheer convenience that I spotted them first. Thank you for the input though, I may have to include specific instructions for specific animals.
TeckXKnight

Postby TeckXKnight » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:22 pm

Lupich wrote:Please sticky this, awesome guide and exactly what I was going to do with 2 people and a boat. Glad to know I'm thinking with the right mindset.

Are shallow waters like that very common?

Extremely. Every lake has this kind of shallow water and lots of shore lines have sufficient shallow water. I'll find other examples and post them.
TeckXKnight

Postby asval » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:05 pm

Thanks for the guide :D

How did you find so many mussels though? Do the clusters grow as your expl * Per does?
asval

Postby Halagaz » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:09 pm

Honestly i don't understand the need to trap animals into signs, you absolutly don't need to trap animals into signs, i never did it and always hunted very well.

When you begin to play you just need to catch rabbitq and chickens, stand next to them, be sure you have free space in your inventory and right click the chicken rabbit so you can put them into your bag. When you have a sling hunt boars from a boat. You can do it from shallow water but it is dangerous, on the picture the shallow water is very large but on normal river the boar will be next to you and hit you; so do it from a boat. When the boar flee jump on the ground and punch the boar until it die, he run slower than you when he flee so it is not hard.

Other animals i recommend killing them with bow or some combat abilitites, so you can one shot or fight them, and don't bother if they run faster than you, heal or whatever.

You aboslutly no need to use sign traps, and if you do please take them apart after you killed your animals because they don't decay and are ugly when they cover all the river banks near your home.
Halagaz

Postby TeckXKnight » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:25 pm

Halagaz wrote:Honestly i don't understand the need to trap animals into signs, you absolutly don't need to trap animals into signs, i never did it and always hunted very well.

When you begin to play you just need to catch rabbitq and chickens, stand next to them, be sure you have free space in your inventory and right click the chicken rabbit so you can put them into your bag. When you have a sling hunt boars from a boat. You can do it from shallow water but it is dangerous, on the picture the shallow water is very large but on normal river the boar will be next to you and hit you; so do it from a boat. When the boar flee jump on the ground and punch the boar until it die, he run slower than you when he flee so it is not hard.

Other animals i recommend killing them with bow or some combat abilitites, so you can one shot or fight them, and don't bother if they run faster than you, heal or whatever.

You aboslutly no need to use sign traps, and if you do please take them apart after you killed your animals because they don't decay and are ugly when they cover all the river banks near your home.

Your method is also perfectly valid. This guide is geared especially towards newbie-friendly combat. Large areas of shallow water provide excellent cover to hide from animal attacks and give lots of time to prepare traps so they can avoid chasing animals and losing kills. They are simply two different means to the same end.

To Asval: They are very common. Once you have sufficient Exp*Per you'll see them everywhere.
TeckXKnight

Postby Igorzyn » Thu May 26, 2011 7:18 pm

I put a sign but he destroy, why ?
Igorzyn

Next

Return to How do I?