A newbie friendly guide to Taming/Hunting

Ask, answer and discuss any and all topics about the hows, whys, wheres and whens of playing Haven & Hearth.

Re: A newbie friendly guide to Taming/Hunting

Postby Igorzyn » Thu May 26, 2011 11:56 pm

Look, sorry for bag english:

I try do it, a friend distracted him (i don't ask to this motherfucker),
all was going fine, but i use the Quell the Beast, the 20 number in yellow appear but my combat chat closed, and of my friend not, and nothing happens.
why ?

So next i try to do the same thing, since step 1, and when i try to "Quell the beast", i can't.
Igorzyn

Postby BruThoL » Fri May 27, 2011 12:29 am

Not bad guide.

Trapping the animals is just for them to not run away when you attack.
So they'll leave combat, but can't go away, and then you are free to go kill them in contact.

You don't need to reset attack of the animals.
Look when they can't approach you, every 10 seconds (it depends of intensity though, it could be 3 seconds...), they will "move" it's a very fast move, and it does nothing, they just move a bit. It's like they wanted to attack you at this moment, they saw they couldn't so they are not moving more...
So it's the moment to go fast to contact to do something.

For example with deers :

Pull one on some of the spot showed on first post.
Then go away, loose aggro (and get some branches).
Come back, and close the spot, so he can't run away.
Get into water where he can't touch you.
Then engage : get some IP (Call down the thunder is a must have, but even with dash you can do it, for dash, wait for him to "mini-move" and dash just after that so he won't hit you)
When 26+ IP, wait for mini-move and "opportunity knock" him. Do this again, and again, until he has no defense. (blue tray empty)
Then hit him the stronger you can ('Knock this teeth out' for example).
It will deal very high damage, so the deer will leave combat (look at the top right icon to be sure), but he can't go away, he's trapped :)
So he'll just heal up.

Then you can go close to him without any fear of being attacked. Just stick to him so you can do your moves the faster.
Then "flex"/"jump" (2-3 times) then attack with punch or knock if you have enough IP.
One or two times should be enough to kill it.

Ah obviously, pull the deer far away from his mates, so they won't heal him up...
BruThoL

Postby RJT » Fri May 27, 2011 1:09 am

Igorzyn wrote:Look, sorry for bag english:

I try do it, a friend distracted him (i don't ask to this motherfucker),
all was going fine, but i use the Quell the Beast, the 20 number in yellow appear but my combat chat closed, and of my friend not, and nothing happens.
why ?

So next i try to do the same thing, since step 1, and when i try to "Quell the beast", i can't.

After you successfully use quell the animal deaggros but they will reaggro enabling you to use quell agar each time you use quell you gain 20% tameness so you need to use quell 5 times before you get a tamed animal, but if you force aggro you will lose all your progress. (I'll edit this to be more clear when I get to a computer attempted to use a phone :D)
[8:21:56 PM] Ravian: We didn't run
[8:22:04 PM] Ravian: We left in the other direction
http://strawpoll.me/6822558
Stand against tyranny, Brothers and sisters. Rise!
RJT

Postby TeckXKnight » Fri May 27, 2011 1:38 am

@Bru
Ya, twitch hunting is becoming more and more prevalent due to its obvious benefits. I'll likely edit the guide to say just to use twitches. As for hunting bigger game, I've written out how to fight them so many times and in so many manners that I should just see if I can track down what I've said and copy it onto here.
There's a difference if you're going at animals with ranged weapons, a decent sword, or just your fist. You're always capable of killing any and every animal with any of these means though. Mind you killing a bear with 10 strength and 20 UA isn't the easiest thing to do ever but it's not too hard as long as you're not seeing lagg spikes. Lagg spikes = death.
TeckXKnight

Postby BruThoL » Fri May 27, 2011 4:57 am

TeckXKnight wrote:There's a difference if you're going at animals with ranged weapons, a decent sword, or just your fist. You're always capable of killing any and every animal with any of these means though. Mind you killing a bear with 10 strength and 20 UA isn't the easiest thing to do ever but it's not too hard as long as you're not seeing lagg spikes. Lagg spikes = death.

So true!
I nearly died from a bear with this technic some hours ago because of a lagg...
Hopefully he just destroyed my stuff ( :( ) and didn't attack me while i was down ;)
So then I took back the_good_old_sling_you're_safe_with, and finished him.
BruThoL

Postby Jackard » Fri May 27, 2011 6:19 am

since this is a newbie guide to hunting, might want to add a short segment for Ants
Jackard

Postby RJT » Fri May 27, 2011 9:05 am

Igorzyn wrote:This video are doing the right thing ?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tE2QuYjuK34

Should I still make the video? Thought I'd ask since you guys found one. :)
[8:21:56 PM] Ravian: We didn't run
[8:22:04 PM] Ravian: We left in the other direction
http://strawpoll.me/6822558
Stand against tyranny, Brothers and sisters. Rise!
RJT

Postby TeckXKnight » Fri May 27, 2011 11:00 am

I suppose it can't be helped then, I'll get to updating this guide on Monday so that it will be useful =)
Until then, I'll be gone for the weekend as of today.

What I'll add:
- Kiting/Fighting ants
- Trapping and killing deer
- Twitching
TeckXKnight

Postby Dataslycer » Fri May 27, 2011 7:26 pm

Trap shooting is also excellent to keep animals from running when they go into panic mode, even bears. As long as they don't have a pathway towards you, they do not break the signs.

For shits and giggles, you should add the Zelda sound to "Great Vicgtory" when you hold up the boar corpse in the traditional Zelda style. :lol:
If you keep focusing on the shadow behind, you will not see the light in front of you.

Being successful isn't just about hard work and succeeding, it is also about picking yourself up when you fail.
Dataslycer

Postby krikke93 » Fri May 27, 2011 8:07 pm

Thanks, I didn't really tried taming yet, so this is a useful guide :)
Also funny you attack 2 at a time, though that's pretty easy :)
Hope you have a great day
krikke93

PreviousNext

Return to How do I?