A newbie friendly guide to Taming/Hunting

Ask, answer and discuss any and all topics about the hows, whys, wheres and whens of playing Haven & Hearth.

Re: A newbie friendly guide to Taming/Hunting

Postby ChickenSlim » Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:27 am

How do you tame 2 at a time? Aggroing another wouldn't cancel progress on the first one, of the first one aggrod aswell?
ChickenSlim

Postby tomasites » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:46 am

I'd like to know also, how to tamed both at a time.
I had difficult times on that part.
“And the second world where the ruins of a giant city had stood choked with jungle vegetation, where he had made a blowgun from tubes of rustless metal as a weapon gift for small winged men -- but were they men?”
The Defiant Agents
tomasites

Postby Procne » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:32 pm

Ok, I assume you are taming aurochs or mouflons, and you have all animals fenced.

1. Select 2 animals for taming - A and B.
2. Equip 2 ropes.
3. Engage animal A and use quell the beast on it.
4. Animal B is already aggroed on you, engage it and use quell the beast on it.

Now you have to wait for them to reaggro so you can continue with taming.
Remember - you can NOT attempt to tame other animal than A and B, you can NOT attack (as in start combat) A or B yourself, and you may NOT teleport or enter mines/homes at this time. Also no other person may attack ANY of the animals in the herd.
Now, there is a way to avoid waiting until A and B reaggro:

5. Move away from the herd so that it disappears from the screen, and wait for combat to end
6. Go back to the herd and attack animal OTHER than A and B. This will cause A and B to aggro on you, because they belong to the same herd
7. repeat steps 3-7
Procne

Postby MaryShaw » Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:09 pm

Good job TeckXKnight, although this guide comes a little late for me, could have used it back in w3. :P I'll never forget my fear of dying when I tamed a boar for the first time. :lol:
MaryShaw

Postby TeckXKnight » Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:48 pm

*Promised he would update this*
*NEVER DID* Ha ha ha, I'm reliable.

Anyway, I apologize MaryShaw! I was with you terrified to death in World 3 taming my first boar so any guide I could have tried to make would have been useless.

Also, you can tame as many animals as you'd like at once. You're not limited to 2. I usually juggle 6 animals at a time but you can go up to as many as 8 before you just don't have enough time to do any more. The trick is that the animal is attached to the rope you used to first quell it -- but you can unequip ropes even after you've started taming.

So bring 8 ropes with you and tame each of them one at a time. Every time you quell one, start working on another until you can start quelling again. I recommend dual wielding ropes and doing it in pairs to make it easier to manage and keep track of which rope belongs to which animal. This trick works best on group animals (Mouflon and Aurochsen) but if you can gather up that many boars in one spot then it works for them too.
TeckXKnight

Postby trondaron » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:10 pm

TeckXKnight wrote:The trick is that the animal is attached to the rope you used to first quell it -- but you can unequip ropes even after you've started taming.

I think this was implied by your post, but I wanted clarity. I need to swap back(re-equip) in the rope I was using with an animal to continue taming that animal? I can't just leave all 6 ropes in my inv once the first quell is completed?
trondaron

Postby TeckXKnight » Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:55 pm

trondaron wrote:
TeckXKnight wrote:The trick is that the animal is attached to the rope you used to first quell it -- but you can unequip ropes even after you've started taming.

I think this was implied by your post, but I wanted clarity. I need to swap back(re-equip) in the rope I was using with an animal to continue taming that animal? I can't just leave all 6 ropes in my inv once the first quell is completed?

That is correct. The proper rope for the proper animal must be in hand to continue quelling.
TeckXKnight

Postby PierreDole » Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:53 pm

Thats bullshit. Anything a try it won't work. I tryed to follow this but it didn't work. I read this guide here, it still dont work.

TeckXKnight wrote:Step 6: For taming, begin to call down the thunder to build as much initiative as you need

How much do i need??

TeckXKnight wrote:Step 7: To continue taming, use Evil Eye first to reduce its attack to 0, then build combat advantage with either Invocation of Skuld or Sidestep, reduce intensity to 0 with Consume the Flames or Float like a butterfly, and quell the beast

I dont have Eye Evil. Why not? I bought almost all skills. Ok, no matter, i used sitestep and its the red bar (attack?) fall down to zero. After that its red bar go up again. What now? Should i use sitestep again until the red bar won't go up? I tryed this until i was out of init. It go up and up and up... Ok, so i try all again. I gone out of the screen and wait till the combat was over. Than back to the animal and use thunder untill 50 init. Next i sitestap it and as fast as i can used Consume the flame. After the move was loadet i try to quel the beast. Nothing happens... :/

Maybe someone can explain to me what, when, how often and untill what happen i have to do...

I have 54 unarmed, an armor and a rope was equiped. The animal was an aurochs.
PierreDole

Postby TeckXKnight » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:19 pm

It's not bullshit, you're just doing it Very, Very wrong.

Call down the Thunder until you have 14 Initiative. Wait until the animal twitches then walk up to it and Sidestep then walk away a few steps. Repeat two more times so that you've done this a total of 3 times. Now wait for it to twitch again and use Consume the Flames on it. Now stand a few steps away and use Quell the Beast.

If it's actually attacking you, then you're doing it wrong. When it runs out of its red bar it means that it successfully attacked you. If this is the case then get 4 more initiative and SideStep again. Never walk off the screen.
TeckXKnight

Postby PierreDole » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:33 pm

Ok, it was hard, but it worked. Thank you a lot.
PierreDole

Previous

Return to How do I?