Tamin Mouflon Advice?

Ask, answer and discuss any and all topics about the hows, whys, wheres and whens of playing Haven & Hearth.

Tamin Mouflon Advice?

Postby Girlinhat » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:10 pm

I've got ~23 str, but ~51 with bear equipment on, 11 con, 12 UA, 8 Melee (planned on using shield maneuver) and all the required skills, up to leadership. I know the basics, to fencepost them, separate one from the herd, and then call down the thunder, get in, get advantage, consume, and quell. I've got q20 leather armor and pants, could add boots and boar helmet also, and wondering if I've underestimating these little sheep things?
Girlinhat

Re: Tamin Mouflon Advice?

Postby Mhi200 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:28 pm

I'm also after the answers to these questions, I'd like to add:

Approx. how much do they hit on you? (And how much am I likely to take, I heard something about animals partially piercing armor)
If I evil eye straight away, do they have a chance to get an attack in first, or will their attack bar disappear too fast?
Mhi200

Postby bitza » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:29 pm

one mouflon is, give or take a bit, comparable to a boar
Karede wrote: It takes a special kind of autism to play this game
bitza

Postby Sevenless » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:43 pm

Although the wiki taming guide seems to suggest "seize the day" as a move, I'm highly against it for nubbly taming. It's much more beneficial to call the thunder and use sidestep from brawling because it minimizes the amount of time you're in combat with the mouflon.

I was recently dragging some sheep to a lake and while running they were hitting me for 30 a shot. Supposedly this is their max damage and it ignored armor. Consume the flame eats a lot of health if you're trying to tame two at a time. All told took about 120shp to tame both (and that's not including the healing I did during the ~hour it took).

Personal preference is find them on a lake, pen them against a lake's deep shallows. Lets you in and out with no danger to yourself.
Lucky: haven is so quirky
Lucky: can be so ugly, can be so heartwarming
Sevenless: it is life

The Art of Herding
W15 Casting Rod Cheatsheet
Explanation of the logic behind the cooking system
Sevenless

Postby Girlinhat » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:55 pm

Hmm, noted. I doubt I'll have the luxury of water (aside from waterflasks) but I will have some friends to help lay fenceposts quickly. If multiple people use quell, does it stack? If I have three people, can we each use it twice and get a tame? 30 damage isn't bad though, I can survive a few hits of that...
Girlinhat

Postby Sevenless » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:03 pm

No quell doesn't stack. One person must do it at a time. Without the luxury of water makes it an all or none gambit really. You'll need to fence it, thunder until you have 18 initiative points (4 uses of sidestep in case it get a little advantage and 2 for the use of quell), consume and quell. It will then turn peaceful, fence it again. Wait until it starts attacking you (15-20 minutes I've heard, not sure if it's set or random). Repeat, thundering before releasing it. If you can't survive 4-5 hits before your defense bar dies, you can't do it.

There's some gate trick people use, I don't know about it personally. The reason why quell won't stack is that you can't initiate combat with the sheep, it must attack you before you're allowed to start the next quell. If you have two sheep there's a slight speed increase because they will sometimes re-aggro due to herd mechanics. But that takes a lot of SHP to deal with that many consumes of the flame.
Lucky: haven is so quirky
Lucky: can be so ugly, can be so heartwarming
Sevenless: it is life

The Art of Herding
W15 Casting Rod Cheatsheet
Explanation of the logic behind the cooking system
Sevenless

Postby Girlinhat » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:06 pm

Is there any way of quickly gaining SHP? I know I can change my slider towards day/night (I see more animals in the day, so...) but are there other tricks and methods for SHP gain?

Also, if I can keep it locked away, and then release it on command, can I get higher melee, and use the shield for 1.25x melee blockage and hold out longer, or am I better off using UA?
Girlinhat

Postby homsikpanda » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:08 pm

i get the impression killing them is easyer then taming?

how do they not break down the wall? or how to you build it so they don't get thru? i'm a noob when it comes to blocking animals in D:
homsikpanda

Postby Girlinhat » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:13 pm

Mouflons and Aurochsen cannot destroy anything, so a roundpole fence will kill them contained. Or a sign. Build a fire, place 1 branch, and then stop, it leaves a sign that the animal cannot break. If you do this, you can easily kill them with ranged weapons, but if they're dead, you cannot tame them! Tame animals get higher quality, and you can harvest more stuff from them. A dead sheep gives 8 wool, a tame sheep gives wool until it dies.
Girlinhat

Postby Phades » Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:51 am

Ok. Think outside the box a bit.

You can tame any animal very easily REGARDLESS of whether or not water is available.

I'll share my taming trick:

The orange blocks represent fence sign posts. The purple block represents a dead mouflon/auroch/boar that you just killed. The blue blocks represent your positioning.

Preparation:
Fence in the mouflon/auroch to separate the 2 you will be taming. You should tame 2 because it will take about the same amount of time to tame 2 as it does 1. The other will be ready and probably agro you moments after quelling the first if not while you are trying to get the quell off.

Fence in 2 other mouflon/auroch separately (so you can kill them and move their corpse around without getting attacked by the others.

Before you begin you should have 4 mouflon/auroch alone in their own fenced in areas. It doesn't have to be the same dimensions as the picture above, any dimensions will work using this technique.

Kill off the first 2 mouflon/aurochs. When they are dead, jump in a boat or walk far enough away so that you de-aggro the rest of the herd. This is important since you will be opening up a section of the fence for the remaining 2 to be tamed.

Go back and open a section of the fence signs. Lay one of the dead corpses in front of it as to cover the opening. This needs to be carefully placed such that you can get in and out of the area, but not big enough for the auroch/mouflon to get out. You can test it by agro'ing the animal and run away in a boat if it does get out. You will know if it is set correctly, because it will be tough for you to get in and out, however, it will be possible.

Taming:
Call down the thunder till you get about 36ish IP. You can do it with a lot less, but you'll probably mess up the first few times (getting stuck). Run in close and sidestep, run out. Since you can get in the fenced area, you will be able to hit the animal but it cannot get out. IF you stand there and don't move away, it can hit you.. so don't stay right next to it. Repeat until you have max combat advantage. Then, move in and consume the flames. Lastly, quell the beast (can do from a distance).

The next animal will be ready. Go do the same to that one. If you take too long, keep in mind that the corpse can decay. So don't take like 2 hours to do it. It should take about 30-45 mins to tame the 2 depending on how good you get at it. Note that aggro/attacking the other animal in the herd generally causes the other to re-aggro you faster than normal. So, it can be faster to tame 2 at the same time than just 1 by itself. Note that you'll also need 2 ropes equipped. Don't leave the area, don't un-equip the ropes and don't let any friends attack any of them or you will bug your animal and it won't re-aggro you.

You need to quell 5 times to tame each animal fully.
====
This same trick can be done using the boulders from a cellar to tame a boar easily since boars can't break them.

Also, you can use a modification of this trick to get an animal "stuck". This requires building the entire roundpole fence with a gate. When the animal is halfway between the gate, you close it. This causes the animal to get stuck and you can walk in/out as you please to attack it. I generally don't use this method because it's faster to just lay signs than it is to gather the wood to build the whole fence. Also, my marksmanship is high enough that I can kill the blocking animals faster than it takes to build the whole fence.

If you can't kill mouflon/auroch yet with MM, then you should use the gate trick.

Enjoy.
-Diadems of Odditown
Odditown loves you no matter what.
Phades

Next

Return to How do I?