Sevenless' Prospecting Guide

Ask, answer and discuss any and all topics about the hows, whys, wheres and whens of playing Haven & Hearth.

Re: Prospecting Guide - Now with Pictures!

Postby Hishan » Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:14 pm

Grable wrote:
Hishan wrote:This may be a noob question but what light source are you using to get the cave so bright?

Ender's client. CTRL+n

MIND = BLOWN

Thank you sir
Hishan

Re: Prospecting Guide - Now with Pictures!

Postby Sevenless » Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:56 am

Bump due to mining related questions popping up on the "How do I?" forum.
Lucky: haven is so quirky
Lucky: can be so ugly, can be so heartwarming
Sevenless: it is life

The Art of Herding
W15 Casting Rod Cheatsheet
Explanation of the logic behind the cooking system
Sevenless

Re: Prospecting Guide - Picture Tutorial Included

Postby MinersInc » Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:50 am

Is your chance of detecting a node and getting a reading related to any particular stats?

That is, can I use my main character to find Rustroot, then give the extract to a completely new alt and use him for prospecting, with the same chance of detecting metal nodes as my main character?
MinersInc

Postby Sevenless » Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:02 pm

MinersInc wrote:Is your chance of detecting a node and getting a reading related to any particular stats?

That is, can I use my main character to find Rustroot, then give the extract to a completely new alt and use him for prospecting, with the same chance of detecting metal nodes as my main character?

I honestly don't know the answer to that. I *believe* that it's entirely random. My reasoning for this is the fact that the seemingly relevant skills/attributes (perception, intelligence, exploration) I all have fairly leveled. The failure rate is quite significant (at least 1/3 fail, maybe up to 1/2). And yet beginning players with 20 in all those stats still find nodes.

I also don't know how the formula for prospecting distance works. If it's similar to what it's been in the past the formula is based solely off the Q of the rustroot though.

The Art of Herding
Sevenless

Postby Bugssy » Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:29 pm

After using half a closet of QL 20 Rustroot, I get the feeling the QL is ~the % chance the extract has to detect a node.

I found that after getting a positive reading, even after moving closer to it, the next 4 readings would turn up nothing.

Also, the QL 20 extract picked up a tin node ~50 blocks away.
Bugssy

Postby MagicManICT » Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:07 pm

Bugssy wrote:After using half a closet of QL 20 Rustroot, I get the feeling the QL is ~the % chance the extract has to detect a node.

I found that after getting a positive reading, even after moving closer to it, the next 4 readings would turn up nothing.

The quality improvement is based on a square root function M * sqrt(q/10). Knowing this, you can't really equate the percent chance directly to the quality of the rustroot.

Otherwise, you might have a good thought there that the percent chance of 'seeing' the node is tied to the quality of the extract.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby Tommassino » Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:44 am

I have one question, everywhere it is written that you find nodes UNDER yourself while prospecting (it says something like: there appears to be iron under you, when you find a node i think). Im a bit confused, if it is one layer under you, or is it just under you in the layer on which you stand. It would kinda suck if it was on the lower layer (mineholes are damn expensive).
Tommassino

Postby MagicManICT » Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:01 am

Tommassino wrote:I have one question, everywhere it is written that you find nodes UNDER yourself while prospecting (it says something like: there appears to be iron under you, when you find a node i think). Im a bit confused, if it is one layer under you, or is it just under you in the layer on which you stand. It would kinda suck if it was on the lower layer (mineholes are damn expensive).

It's always on the layer directly below you. So, in order to prospect below layer one, you need to dig out a big enough area to do so.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Re: Sevenless' Prospecting Guide

Postby Projeear » Sun May 15, 2011 5:54 pm

Fuck it. I've had a bloody 'nough of having to keep digging through my histories and researching for this thread.

Bookmark'd. Useful piece of kit. :)
Grand Walker of World 1 (w1).
Ex-Lawspeaker of New London, Deadwood and New Deadwood (w3).
Witness of the World 4 Great Explosion (w4).
Ex-Lawspeaker of Gregminster (w5).
Ex-Lawspeaker of Laketown (w6).
Squatter and Rebuilder of Templus Pacis (w6).
Hermit thereafter.
Lawspeaker of Tachbrookshire (Hafen 2)
Projeear

Re: Sevenless' Prospecting Guide

Postby Sevenless » Sun May 15, 2011 9:28 pm

Projeear wrote:Fuck it. I've had a bloody 'nough of having to keep digging through my histories and researching for this thread.

Bookmark'd. Useful piece of kit. :)

^_^ Glad to be of service. It looks like my general guide for beginners might get stickied, I'll probably have a brief section at the very top of it that links this guide among others people have written that I found very useful.

The Art of Herding
Sevenless

PreviousNext

Return to How do I?