Sevenless' Guide for Beginning Players - Metal section done

Ask, answer and discuss any and all topics about the hows, whys, wheres and whens of playing Haven & Hearth.

Re: Sevenless' Guide for Beginning Players ~Under Constructi

Postby iLerndGramrGud » Sat May 07, 2011 2:31 am

Sevenless wrote:
iLerndGramrGud wrote:This is amazing. I would be utterly clueless without this, so thank you. Now if only my game actually worked, I could put this to use.

Plenty of people who understand the technical side of things. If it's an issue with enders itself I think you can post in his thread to ask for help with it. If it's not enders...

It should be an enders issue ಠ_ಠ

I have not a clue what kind of issue it is :p, it's in the bug section though if you care to check it out.
iLerndGramrGud

Postby Jackard » Sat May 07, 2011 3:49 am

fart69 wrote:The thing I loved about the old guide was that it included screenshots and really make it simple for a new person to understand the parts of the gui/map and how they work.

my guide is only intended as a basic introduction to the game, this isn't replacing it
Jackard

Postby DatOneGuy » Sat May 07, 2011 4:28 am

Very nice to see this, how far do you plan on covering? Building a basic hermit settlement?

I think the current skills/LP section should be cleaned up big time with subheaders and such.
You should definitely link to Avu's Defense Guide but unless he finally updated it (doubt it since he mostly just posted it so newbies would stop getting raided), there's some critical information that should be added like always having your walls extend 50 tiles in any direction past your actual village so that people can't see in or shoot in.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Hi. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
DatOneGuy

Postby Sevenless » Sat May 07, 2011 7:39 am

DatOneGuy wrote:Very nice to see this, how far do you plan on covering? Building a basic hermit settlement?

I think the current skills/LP section should be cleaned up big time with subheaders and such.
You should definitely link to Avu's Defense Guide but unless he finally updated it (doubt it since he mostly just posted it so newbies would stop getting raided), there's some critical information that should be added like always having your walls extend 50 tiles in any direction past your actual village so that people can't see in or shoot in.

Yeah, sounds about right. Walking people up to basic hermit settlement with references to expanding and accommodating multiple players. Linking Defense guide, village location guide (I know it exists, never read it personally. Must search that), taming guide, combat guide (with some expansions from me about basic move combos for PvP combat) is all planned when I get there.

As for the 50 tile rule, agreed on it. I do think it's a little beyond what I could expect a <1 month old player to build solo, or even a group of noobs to build. Remember that for them, a 200 tile long palisade is an incredible amount of work already for them. I'm trying to keep the guide within realism of what the average player beginning player will be willing to build. If I start talking about building what's to them the great wall of china they will start cutting corners. And I don't want them to cut the wrong corners. I'd rather have a settlement up with moderate defenses instead of a village with good defenses and some critical flaw that you know someone will find.

EDIT: While I'm thinking on it. How were you suggesting ordering the LP gain section? I was originally going to just list skills, but I realized that each set of new skills introduced new activities. So I started structuring it as a walk through loosely based on when you're leveling up skills. Certainly for the first week of play or so. After hitting the hunting at lvl 10-20 MM I was going to break off into general discussion of village type activities which are no longer tied to a beginners skill levels (directly at least)
Lucky: haven is so quirky
Lucky: can be so ugly, can be so heartwarming
Sevenless: it is life

The Art of Herding
W15 Casting Rod Cheatsheet
Explanation of the logic behind the cooking system
Sevenless

Postby Jackard » Sat May 07, 2011 8:45 am

if this is about settling you could break it up into different tiers. beginner would be everything up until you have a farm going with most of the crops, intermediate covers stuff once youve established yourself, etc
“A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.”
Jackard

Postby SuchANerd » Sat May 07, 2011 2:32 pm

I really like the fact that you put boatmaking before yeomandry. When you read the forums for the first times, most posts stress the importance of yeomandry after the basics. But it is really hard to get the 4000+ LP survive and explore without having a boat.

Maybe you could add that boars and bears are agressive and dangerous to new players in that first tier of your guide, how important it is to stay alert when moving in forests, and basic camera movements to check the surroundings for danger.

Seems very promising overall. (:
SuchANerd

Postby Anomander » Sat May 07, 2011 3:32 pm

Very good effort, congratz. Should definitely be stickied when completed.
Anomander

Postby cloakblade » Sat May 07, 2011 8:19 pm

I remember getting sting before having five exploration and if you do (and you have a bone) I'd say go for fishing before 5 exploration as it pays for itself after 1 fish (catch, fillet, cooked). Beyond that it sounds like my basic idea of a start I would love to know if you are going to add in points on hunting or make this more of a peaceful hermit tutorial I did see you get 15 UA (but not particularly to fight).
A.K.A. Suddo
cloakblade

Postby MagicManICT » Sat May 07, 2011 9:53 pm

SuchANerd wrote:I really like the fact that you put boatmaking before yeomandry. When you read the forums for the first times, most posts stress the importance of yeomandry after the basics. But it is really hard to get the 4000+ LP survive and explore without having a boat.

It's not that hard. Boat building is 1500 LP, so you're already got more than a third of what you need for Yeomanry. The bark boat is nice, though, and will make that back in a day or two--assuming you're in or near a bunch of birch trees. The point is that you can't really protect your stuff without Yeomanry or spawning alt vaults.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby Sevenless » Sat May 07, 2011 10:38 pm

MagicManICT wrote:
SuchANerd wrote:I really like the fact that you put boatmaking before yeomandry. When you read the forums for the first times, most posts stress the importance of yeomandry after the basics. But it is really hard to get the 4000+ LP survive and explore without having a boat.

It's not that hard. Boat building is 1500 LP, so you're already got more than a third of what you need for Yeomanry. The bark boat is nice, though, and will make that back in a day or two--assuming you're in or near a bunch of birch trees. The point is that you can't really protect your stuff without Yeomanry or spawning alt vaults.

Boat adds mobility. With mobility comes ants. Ants are the single greatest source of nublet LP in the game. That's primarily why I vote boatmaking before yeomanry. It's not a set in stone fact though, it's just personal opinion.

cloakblade wrote:I remember getting sting before having five exploration and if you do (and you have a bone) I'd say go for fishing before 5 exploration as it pays for itself after 1 fish (catch, fillet, cooked). Beyond that it sounds like my basic idea of a start I would love to know if you are going to add in points on hunting or make this more of a peaceful hermit tutorial I did see you get 15 UA (but not particularly to fight).

Debating the change. They'd need an extra rabbit for bone and string though. And at 1 exploration the string isn't exactly easy to find. Nor do I think they'd have a second rabbit by that point most of the time. Also, without a swamp (likely) the noobs would have to dig for worms. Fish are negative hunger bar when you do it that way.

I'm going to hold with exp 1->5 before fishing mostly for the hunger reason. They'd still be better off foraging and looking for more ant hills at that point than they would be digging worms and fishing. Easy LP is everything until you have a boat and a claim up. Then you start thinking about stats.
Last edited by Sevenless on Sat May 07, 2011 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lucky: haven is so quirky
Lucky: can be so ugly, can be so heartwarming
Sevenless: it is life

The Art of Herding
W15 Casting Rod Cheatsheet
Explanation of the logic behind the cooking system
Sevenless

PreviousNext

Return to How do I?