Sevenless' Guide for Beginning Players - Metal section done

Ask, answer and discuss any and all topics about the hows, whys, wheres and whens of playing Haven & Hearth.

Re: Sevenless' Guide for Beginning Players ~Under Constructi

Postby DatOneGuy » Thu May 12, 2011 6:13 am

If the solo player eventually wants a village claim to avoid being taken over by a larger village just passing their claim by, CHA helps them keep authority up. (Although it could be argued that low quality shewbread is easily tossed on many alts and logging in once every 4 days on each to swap out can keep authority up, it depends on if they're willing to do that or not).

I understand the '1 account' idea behind the thread, but there is pretty much no reason to not have multiple accounts once you have wheat and spare wax, once every four days for at least 30k LP? (q10), that's simply amazing, the accounts just need the initial afk time most people can keep up by downloading Arksu's and using the Ctrl-Y feature, the extra windows take up almost no CPU and if you don't do anything on the accounts except login->stand over HF->Open Stats window to check time left, then you won't have a problem. IIRC they will actually hit max Peaceful/Change before the first Shewbread pops.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Hi. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
DatOneGuy

Postby Sevenless » Thu May 12, 2011 12:40 pm

DatOneGuy wrote:If the solo player eventually wants a village claim to avoid being taken over by a larger village just passing their claim by, CHA helps them keep authority up. (Although it could be argued that low quality shewbread is easily tossed on many alts and logging in once every 4 days on each to swap out can keep authority up, it depends on if they're willing to do that or not).

I understand the '1 account' idea behind the thread, but there is pretty much no reason to not have multiple accounts once you have wheat and spare wax, once every four days for at least 30k LP? (q10), that's simply amazing, the accounts just need the initial afk time most people can keep up by downloading Arksu's and using the Ctrl-Y feature, the extra windows take up almost no CPU and if you don't do anything on the accounts except login->stand over HF->Open Stats window to check time left, then you won't have a problem. IIRC they will actually hit max Peaceful/Change before the first Shewbread pops.

You misunderstand what I meant. I meant 1 account logged in at a time. I know my laptop dislikes running multiple clients anyway. I personally don't know arksu's, but I'd expect logging in enders inside a house over a HF would have much the same effect on CPU requirements. But yes, alts are mentioned favourably for hermits who want to mine/farm and for gate alts as of now. Any other uses you can think of let me know.

MagicManICT wrote:If you're going to describe both, then both views are needed.

I was intending to have a small section discussing the decision of village/no village. I think I'll encourage them to stay solo for a while, preferably until they've at least got their own palisade built and have figured out some of the game themselves. But really, village life is the only way to reach the endgame content in HnH. So in a way this is designed as the "How to not be a retarded villager 101" in the long run I guess. But mentions of what's needed will be made for the hermits out there.
Lucky: haven is so quirky
Lucky: can be so ugly, can be so heartwarming
Sevenless: it is life

The Art of Herding
W15 Casting Rod Cheatsheet
Explanation of the logic behind the cooking system
Sevenless

Postby painhertz » Thu May 12, 2011 3:30 pm

any chance of getting this stickead?
"I shall PERSONALLY witness for you at the shiny, chrome gates of Valhalla!"
painhertz

Postby MagicManICT » Thu May 12, 2011 5:59 pm

Sevenless wrote:You misunderstand what I meant. I meant 1 account logged in at a time. I know my laptop dislikes running multiple clients anyway. I personally don't know arksu's, but I'd expect logging in enders inside a house over a HF would have much the same effect on CPU requirements. But yes, alts are mentioned favourably for hermits who want to mine/farm and for gate alts as of now. Any other uses you can think of let me know.

This is because of the way Java works. It is an interpreted language so it can run the same code on a wide variety of machines and processors. Running multiple instances of an app is horribly CPU intensive. (Multi-core machines won't notice until enough open up.) Java runs each instance as if they were different apps (even if they are the exact same one). If, however, one app can open multiple windows, the memory space is shared and minimal extra CPU time is used because Java only has to interpret one app. I'm not familiar with Arksu either, but if this is available, I might have to check it out. (I'm running on an old single core that doesn't like multiple java apps running at once, either.)

Sevenless wrote:
MagicManICT wrote:If you're going to describe both, then both views are needed.

I was intending to have a small section discussing the decision of village/no village. I think I'll encourage them to stay solo for a while, preferably until they've at least got their own palisade built and have figured out some of the game themselves. But really, village life is the only way to reach the endgame content in HnH. So in a way this is designed as the "How to not be a retarded villager 101" in the long run I guess. But mentions of what's needed will be made for the hermits out there.

Good to hear. :) What's the "endgame content" in HnH? I didn't realize there was an end game. ;)

painhertz wrote:any chance of getting this stickead?

I'd rather see it linked in the "Welcome" thread than have yet another sticky at the top of the forum. Besides, it's not even ready yet. I think the plan is already to link it either in the welcome thread or add it to the wiki. Let's put it this way: If nobody else puts it on the wiki homepage, I'll do it. This game has needed a thorough instruction manual for a while now.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby Shadow7168 » Thu May 12, 2011 10:49 pm

As for the whole village vs. solo thing, I would say live in the wilderness for a little, get your stats up, then teleport to a village. Speaking of that, you should also include a section about villageporting.
Potjeh wrote:They're using swords as throwing weapons now? Damn cheaters!

MagicManICT wrote:Most raiders aren't into choking another man's chicken. They can do some pretty gay shit, but that's usually the line.
Shadow7168

Postby painhertz » Sun May 15, 2011 7:06 pm

Bump for ease of use. All of my noobs are digging this tutorial.
"I shall PERSONALLY witness for you at the shiny, chrome gates of Valhalla!"
painhertz

Postby TeckXKnight » Sun May 15, 2011 7:22 pm

While this thread is bulky to read, it is full of vital information. Would it be possible for this thread to attain sticky status or link status in a sticky for ease of navigation for those that it would benefit from it the most? =)
TeckXKnight

Postby Sevenless » Sun May 15, 2011 7:30 pm

TeckXKnight wrote:While this thread is bulky to read, it is full of vital information. Would it be possible for this thread to attain sticky status or link status in a sticky for ease of navigation for those that it would benefit from it the most? =)

Yeah, it is getting kind of cumbersome to sift through at this point (Many things I am, verbose is one of them :/ ). I'm actually going to be remaking the thread in a new post as soon as I know how many sections I need so I can hyperlink each section individually for easier reading.

Unless there's something a mod can do to give me X blank posts right at the top of the thread so I can do that here instead of having to move it.
Lucky: haven is so quirky
Lucky: can be so ugly, can be so heartwarming
Sevenless: it is life

The Art of Herding
W15 Casting Rod Cheatsheet
Explanation of the logic behind the cooking system
Sevenless

Postby TeckXKnight » Sun May 15, 2011 7:36 pm

To be honest, I am not sure what abilities mods have and how simple they would be to use/their willingness to use them. I suppose it wouldn't hurt to ask, so I'll go do that.
TeckXKnight

Postby Jackard » Sun May 15, 2011 8:01 pm

Dunno about you but I wasn't planning to sticky it before it was complete.
Jackard

PreviousNext

Return to How do I?