Sevenless' Guide for Beginning Players - Metal section done

Ask, answer and discuss any and all topics about the hows, whys, wheres and whens of playing Haven & Hearth.

Re: Sevenless' Guide for Beginning Players ~Under Constructi

Postby fart69 » Sun May 15, 2011 8:43 pm

Strong argument you've presented. :roll:
fart69

Postby fart69 » Sun May 15, 2011 8:44 pm

If you feel so strongly about it then delete this thread and have Sevenless put everything on the wiki. You certainly don't need my or anyone else's permission to do it.

Let me know how that works out for you.
fart69

Postby Jackard » Sun May 15, 2011 8:46 pm

Man I don't even need an argument, anyone familiar with wikis would immediately recognize your ignorance of how they actually work.
Jackard

Postby fart69 » Sun May 15, 2011 8:47 pm

THEN MAKE A PLAYER GUIDE ON THE WIKI THAT'S EASY FOR PEOPLE TO USE AND THAT PEOPLE WILL FOLLOW IF IT'S SO MUCH EASIER THAN USING THE FORUMS

If it's so obviously a better solution then why hasn't anybody bothered to actually do it?
fart69

Postby Jackard » Sun May 15, 2011 8:49 pm

enjoy your ban, idiot

Jackard

Postby novaalpha » Sun May 15, 2011 8:52 pm

lol :lol:
novaalpha

Postby fart70 » Sun May 15, 2011 8:53 pm

If you'd actually bothered checking my post history you'd see that I've already admitted that I'm cobaltjones. Great detective work though, all while skirting the issue at hand. When someone questions you about something, simply attack them with something completely different. Works like a charm.
fart70

Postby fart71 » Sun May 15, 2011 8:56 pm

fart71

Postby Sevenless » Sun May 15, 2011 8:59 pm

Jackard wrote:ps.

Sevenless wrote:Hmm, This looks nice. Will probably link this in my guide. It's much more along the line of jackard's guide than my own. I tackle the phase after this.

Jackard wrote:By the way, guides long enough to need a table of contents would benefit by being split into several posts. That way you can link to each section.

I may end up reposting my guide when it's complete to take advantage of this. But there's no point doing that until I've got more of it written.

Well, the numbnut (for insulting mods, not for having a differing viewpoint) aside, yes that is the plan. I only mentioned the other option because I had no idea if it was possible. Seeing as it isn't (thank you both Jackard and Sab for looking into it) then I will be reposting this when it's complete information wise in a format that's easier to navigate as per Jackards suggestion.

That being said, I do think this guide belongs more on the forum than the Wiki, although it makes sense if links to it are posted in the wiki. My reasoning is that:

A) This is my opinion, I'd prefer people don't edit it without my consent and awareness. Especially not considering this information is now part of my forum reputation.

B) Many other guides also exist on the forum. The wiki is a great source of knowledge, but for guides the forum tends to have more, and more accurate ones. Also, first place I looked as a beginner for information was in the how to section, that's how I found correct the wiki even.

Note:
If anyone wants to help out with writing the guide (Maybe write a section or etc)/providing pictures, PM me. I don't mind giving credit and adding content that's not personally written by me in the slightest.
Lucky: haven is so quirky
Lucky: can be so ugly, can be so heartwarming
Sevenless: it is life

The Art of Herding
W15 Casting Rod Cheatsheet
Explanation of the logic behind the cooking system
Sevenless

Postby MagicManICT » Mon May 16, 2011 1:47 am

The purpose of a wiki: Provide collected knowledge of all types on a given subject that can be maintained by authorized users or the public. 'Collected knowledge' includes factual information, informed opinions, even myths and rumors (as long as they're properly documented as such).

The tools provided include extensive markup tools to provide a wide range of formatting, database tools for providing tables, and pages for commentary and discussion on page revisions.

A wiki's one major advantage is that anyone with an account can make edits to a page to help maintain or improve it. Of course, this is also it's biggest weakness as some people like to vandalize pages. However, this has been planned for and reverting changes is simple.

Now, how is a wiki weaker for posting a guide than the forums? You have everything the forums have and then some.

Now that I've gotten that out of the way....

Why isn't this already up on the wiki? :D
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

PreviousNext

Return to How do I?