Sevenless' Guide for Beginning Players - Metal section done

Ask, answer and discuss any and all topics about the hows, whys, wheres and whens of playing Haven & Hearth.

Re: Sevenless' Guide for Beginning Players ~Under Constructi

Postby Sevenless » Mon May 16, 2011 3:29 am

MagicManICT wrote:The purpose of a wiki: Provide collected knowledge of all types on a given subject that can be maintained by authorized users or the public. 'Collected knowledge' includes factual information, informed opinions, even myths and rumors (as long as they're properly documented as such).

The tools provided include extensive markup tools to provide a wide range of formatting, database tools for providing tables, and pages for commentary and discussion on page revisions.

A wiki's one major advantage is that anyone with an account can make edits to a page to help maintain or improve it. Of course, this is also it's biggest weakness as some people like to vandalize pages. However, this has been planned for and reverting changes is simple.

Now, how is a wiki weaker for posting a guide than the forums? You have everything the forums have and then some.

Now that I've gotten that out of the way....

Why isn't this already up on the wiki? :D

I think we disagree on what wikis are for. A wiki, in my opinion, is for concentrated facts on specific topics contained. A guide like this is generalized information covering many topics. Each section of the guide might fit into a wiki post, but I want the information linked together instead of spread out over multiple wiki posts. My prospecting guide made perfect sense to include on the wiki, this... I think is better for the How Do I section of the forums.

However, you point out another reason why I'd rather it be on the forums: Anyone could edit it. I've put a lot of work into this, and more by the time it's complete. I'd at least like to be able to review any additions/changes people want to make. The wiki this game uses doesn't work that way.
Lucky: haven is so quirky
Lucky: can be so ugly, can be so heartwarming
Sevenless: it is life

The Art of Herding
W15 Casting Rod Cheatsheet
Explanation of the logic behind the cooking system
Sevenless

Postby Jackard » Mon May 16, 2011 3:51 am

reversion history
Jackard

Postby Shadow7168 » Wed May 18, 2011 1:57 am

For the safety part, don't give ANYONE your HS. Don't even set it. If you want to kin someone, memorize them and then right click > make kin.
Potjeh wrote:They're using swords as throwing weapons now? Damn cheaters!

MagicManICT wrote:Most raiders aren't into choking another man's chicken. They can do some pretty gay shit, but that's usually the line.
Shadow7168

Postby MagicManICT » Wed May 18, 2011 2:02 am

Shadow7168 wrote:For the safety part, don't give ANYONE your HS. Don't even set it. If you want to kin someone, memorize them and then right click > make kin.

All well and good for maximum safety, but there are times when there is no way to memorize or kin a person visually.

For those times when you absolutely need a hearth secret, make sure to give a temporary one. You can change it back or delete it shortly afterwards.

One thing to NEVER do: put your HS on a runestone. If you need someone to get ahold of you, leave your forum name or an email address.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby kserswilldie » Wed May 18, 2011 10:01 pm

Awesome guide
helped me out a lot
after trying to hardmode no guide it and dying three times w/o even learning about curiosities this made it a much more enjoyable experience

I've set up a lil shack in the forest, perhaps a bit too far away from the water, but so far I haven't been raided or even seen anyone near my residence

Some questions:
I've got the hearth fire in the fence thing going, but w/o yeomanry I can't imagine it's doing too much good, but it's there till I get it
I saw someone recommended placing your fire in front of the door to your cabin? I tried this but it didn't seem to work, was this patched or something?

Also, what's the best(easiest/fastest) way to up my int? I've got my exploration at 10, and have found a fair amount of blueberries but this seems rather slow. I've also manged to catch some perch here and there but when I just want to fish for some all I could catch was sturgeon (using leeches). Through some wiki searching I guess it depends on the time of day/moon/bait? Unsure. Any way, is perch/blueberries going to be the best way for someone on his own?
gangstalc wrote:Thx for answers) When I pressed the heart sign - it told "You are alone in the world", and I thought that I am in the wrong world. :(
kserswilldie

Postby GrimEggbert » Wed May 18, 2011 10:06 pm

I've got my unmodified INT up to 60 and I've never eaten any other INT giving food except for blueberries. It's not that hard if you're foraging enough, and make sure you're making use of the food diversity bonus. (Eatting different foods reduces how many points it takes you to level up)
GrimEggbert

Postby kserswilldie » Wed May 18, 2011 10:32 pm

Oo interesting didn't know about that

~

Man some boar is lurking around my peaceful nature retreat!
He beat me up so close to my hearth fire that I was afraid I wouldn't be able to waddle (I'm overstuffed ._.) back into the safety of my log cabin
Maybe one day I can reconcile with him and he can become my guard boar

~

So I been trying to get my Int up eating different food and stuff but RNG is not on my side it seems
Was able to find a healthy supply of blueberries on that purplish land area though, I'll have to re-visit it when the boar leaves...
gangstalc wrote:Thx for answers) When I pressed the heart sign - it told "You are alone in the world", and I thought that I am in the wrong world. :(
kserswilldie

Postby Sevenless » Thu May 19, 2011 4:12 am

kserswilldie wrote:Awesome guide
helped me out a lot
after trying to hardmode no guide it and dying three times w/o even learning about curiosities this made it a much more enjoyable experience

I've set up a lil shack in the forest, perhaps a bit too far away from the water, but so far I haven't been raided or even seen anyone near my residence

Some questions:
I've got the hearth fire in the fence thing going, but w/o yeomanry I can't imagine it's doing too much good, but it's there till I get it
I saw someone recommended placing your fire in front of the door to your cabin? I tried this but it didn't seem to work, was this patched or something?

Also, what's the best(easiest/fastest) way to up my int? I've got my exploration at 10, and have found a fair amount of blueberries but this seems rather slow. I've also manged to catch some perch here and there but when I just want to fish for some all I could catch was sturgeon (using leeches). Through some wiki searching I guess it depends on the time of day/moon/bait? Unsure. Any way, is perch/blueberries going to be the best way for someone on his own?

Hearth fire in the fence only AFTER you've got a claim up. I guess it's not perfectly obvious, but in that picture there is a claim on it.

Sticking your HF in front of the door lets you walk in and out, but blocks anyone without vandalism from getting into your house. You can walk over your HF, no one else can.
Lucky: haven is so quirky
Lucky: can be so ugly, can be so heartwarming
Sevenless: it is life

The Art of Herding
W15 Casting Rod Cheatsheet
Explanation of the logic behind the cooking system
Sevenless

Postby painhertz » Thu May 19, 2011 4:17 am

Also a good one is putting a hf at the foot of your steps in the cellar. It's a trap, only way to get out is to port.
"I shall PERSONALLY witness for you at the shiny, chrome gates of Valhalla!"
painhertz

Postby MagicManICT » Thu May 19, 2011 7:10 am

painhertz wrote:Also a good one is putting a hf at the foot of your steps in the cellar. It's a trap, only way to get out is to port.

Can anyone even get down?

kserswilldie wrote:I've set up a lil shack in the forest, perhaps a bit too far away from the water, but so far I haven't been raided or even seen anyone near my residence

There is a nice discussion on this in the thread. Read through it. You're perfectly fine not being that close to water. You can solve the boat problem later with an alt and making a small claim to keep boats on later. The downside is that you can load containers into boats and getting the containers home from your boat and back could be a bit more of a pain. (I did this last world.)

kserswilldie wrote:
Man some boar is lurking around my peaceful nature retreat!
He beat me up so close to my hearth fire that I was afraid I wouldn't be able to waddle (I'm overstuffed ._.) back into the safety of my log cabin
Maybe one day I can reconcile with him and he can become my guard boar

Can't be a guard boar, but it'll make some piglets for you that can make great bacon. :D
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

PreviousNext

Return to How do I?