Please Ask Simple Questions Here

Ask, answer and discuss any and all topics about the hows, whys, wheres and whens of playing Haven & Hearth.

Please Ask Simple Questions Here

Postby TeckXKnight » Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:10 am

In an effort to combat repetitious and unnecessary threads, please ask just about any simple gameplay questions you have here. Frequently asked questions that are not covered by other bodies of data will be added to the main post.
Please check the invaluable resources we have at our disposal before asking questions whenever possible.
http://ringofbrodgar.com/wiki/Haven_and_Hearth_Wiki - Haven and Hearth Wiki
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3196 - Jackard's Welcome Readme
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=19114 - Sevenless' Beginner's Guide
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6518 - Dataslycer's Combat Guide
search.php - Forum Search Function
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=13216 - Forum Rules
http://www.seatribe.se/bt/ - Bug Tracker

Q: Is there any way to view your coordinates easily?
A: Nope~! Your best bet is to locate distinctive features around your area, in my opinion lakes and mountains are ideal, then scan through Alg's map until you locate yourself. The more of your area the better off you'll be. If you're using a custom client such as ender's, you also have auto mapping which will generate a map based on your minimaps automatically. You can utilize this to better find yourself on the world map:
http://sabinati.com/HavenMap/

Q: How do I join my friend without having to spend hours traveling?
A: In the character creation room there is a fellow in the top left corner, type in your friend's hearthsecret there and a staircase should appear. Your friend can set a hearthsecret in the kin list.

Q: Why can't I craft a certain item if I have the necessary skills?
A: You need to discover the materials first. This is true for all items and constructions. Items must be discovered in different manners, for some you must be the first person to pick the item up, such as woodblocks, straw, plant fibers, and metal bars. For other items you must be the one to harvest the material, such as meat, bones, crops, and foragables. If the item was in the inventory of someone else before you then you did not count as discovering it. Items bought from a barter stand, even your own, count as being discovered.

Q: I'm digging for clay but not getting any, why is this?
A: There are invisible resource allocators known as 'nodes' in the world. Not every location has a node and nodes that do exist are circular/ovular in shape. Nodes determine how much of a resource is at a location and at what quality. Nodes produce the highest qualities at the center of the node. If a mudflat or shallow shoreline does not have a clay node, then digging it will produce only 1 piece of quality 10 clay or no clay at all. Nodes deplete as they are used and produce lower and lower quality products. Nodes will heal in time if not used but will never exceed their original maximum quality. Some resources do not need a node to be used, such as water, stone, sand, and soil. Without a node you cannot dig for clay, fish for fish, or mine for metal ore though.

Q: How do I get my first seeds for farming?
A: From the wiki, "Wild Windsown Weeds begin to appear when you have a Perception * Exploration score of 80. They can be found all terrain types except for mudflats and mountains." Get your exploration skill to 8 or above with at least the base 10 perception and you will begin to see plants known as Wild Windsown Weeds. Place these forageables on drying racks or herbalist tables and they will turn into a random seed after 16 real life hours on the drying rack or 2.6 real life hours on a herbalist table.

Q:I can't extend my claim.
A: Update your custom client. Fresh downloads are not up to date. Read the respective custom client thread to find how to update your client.

Q: When I try to run the game, I get an "Application Blocked by Security Settings". Where do I go to fix this, and how do I fix it?
A: This is an issue with a recent Java update. To fix this please refer to this link: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=35081
Last edited by TeckXKnight on Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:42 am, edited 8 times in total.
Reason: edited RoB Wiki link pointing to Startpage now
TeckXKnight

Re: Please Ask Simple Questions Here

Postby defiler86 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:59 pm

Quick question (and other might want to know as well): what determines the quality of cooked food. I found some formulas for baked goods, and more complex meals (sausage and such), but what is the formula for roasted meat or rat on a stick. (IE: early food items.)

Only asking because fish I catch has a quality of 20-25 and after its cooked it reduces down to 7-9. Got a cooking only of 2 and survival . :\
defiler86

Postby MagicManICT » Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:06 pm

defiler86 wrote:Quick question (and other might want to know as well): what determines the quality of cooked food. I found some formulas for baked goods, and more complex meals (sausage and such), but what is the formula for roasted meat or rat on a stick. (IE: early food items.)

Only asking because fish I catch has a quality of 20-25 and after its cooked it reduces down to 7-9. Got a cooking only of 2 and survival . :\

In general:

Roasted meat: survival. Softcapped twice, once when butchered, again when cooked.
Everything else: formula based on ingredients and tool used. Use the wiki to see if the formula is posted

So... For example: If you're survival is only 2, and you catch a q24 fish, then your filet will be q13--(24 + 2) / 2--and after cooking it it will be q7.5, truncated to q7.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby defiler86 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:13 pm

MagicManICT wrote:In general:

Roasted meat: survival. Softcapped twice, once when butchered, again when cooked.
Everything else: formula based on ingredients and tool used. Use the wiki to see if the formula is posted

So... For example: If you're survival is only 2, and you catch a q24 fish, then your filet will be q13--(24 + 2) / 2--and after cooking it it will be q7.5, truncated to q7.

Thanks, MagicMan. That explains it a lot. :D

Now I don't feel bad about now 7 quality meals now.
defiler86

Postby burgingham » Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:37 pm

I was thinking about such a thread earlier when I was browsing another forum that had exactly this. Guess I will sticky it although I am really not happy with the number of stickies the "How do I?" has. Then again what to remove? Maybe the music thread to the wizards tower, but that is about all i can think of.

Jorbs and loftars threads here are quite old too and covered by other peoples beginners guides. They should decide though what happens to their threads I guess.
burgingham

Postby Annoyance » Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:16 pm

Is there a particular path of progression for one's character's stats?
With both FEPs and LP stats to raise, are there particular 'check points' if you would suggest obtaining?

for the use of LPs for something like:
'First you should get a,b,c skills. Then you should raise exploration to 8 to get some windsown weeds. Once you have some seeds, you should obtain x,y,z skills. Then you should get unarmed to 40 so you can punch and kill that fox. then you should etc etc etc'

and for FEPs much the same, aside from the specific stats one raises
Annoyance

Location: I don't really know tbh.. somewhere east of Nople though

Postby Potjeh » Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:41 pm

That's more of a guide than a simple question thing. I recommend Sevenless' guide, it's pretty damn good.
Image Bottleneck
Potjeh

Postby defiler86 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:54 pm

Another odd question... looking at the World 5 map ( http://algeralith.info/HavenMap/ ) and trying to figure out where the heck I'm at. I'm trying looking for the land marks near me, but not much help. Is there any easy way to figure your location by coordinates? :\
defiler86

Postby Chakravanti » Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:55 pm

burgingham wrote:I was thinking about such a thread earlier when I was browsing another forum that had exactly this. Guess I will sticky it although I am really not happy with the number of stickies the "How do I?" has. Then again what to remove? Maybe the music thread to the wizards tower, but that is about all i can think of.

Jorbs and loftars threads here are quite old too and covered by other peoples beginners guides. They should decide though what happens to their threads I guess.

Make a new, closed, publicly viewable forum called first stop, in it index all the threads that are important. Make another, Call it reference, put posts that are archaic but important nonetheless and desticky them. Leave them all in their original places and make the subforums a closed series of pointers and let sticky topics be of important ongoing discussions rather than serving as a clusterfuck for various quasi-dated tutorials.

One should be at the top and the other should be somewhere about purgatory.
Well what is this that I can't see
With ice cold hands takin' hold of me
Well I am death, none can excel
-Ralph Stanley, O Death!
Chakravanti

Postby ImAwesome » Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:01 am

if you don't have a skill, but come across a little construction sign post for a build, if you put in the rest of the needed objects can you finish it?

example: I just started a new hearthling and came across a construction sign for a row boat, can I make it?
ImAwesome

Next

Return to How do I?