Little-Known Pro-Tip Thread, Must Read (Up to 115 Tips!)

Ask, answer and discuss any and all topics about the hows, whys, wheres and whens of playing Haven & Hearth.

Little-Known Pro-Tip Thread, Must Read (Up to 115 Tips!)

Postby jordancoles » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:38 pm

Welcome to this thread!

I'll start.

Tip #1: If you're a nooby and your shoes break under your feet, a way to get free shoes is to put leeches in the foot slot. It removes the thorn in foot effect.
Shoes, boots, thorn in foot

Carry on please :D
General noob help is also nice but try your best to even get the veterans zomging :lol:

Tip #2:
AAlex wrote:Right click your water flask before you cross the water, and then you can take a drink mid swim. I assume most people know this... But is handy to know if you don't. ^^

Swimming, stamina

Tip #3:
AAlex wrote:
kaizokuroof wrote:You can use boughs for wicker baskets and round poll fences - and presumely other things that just ask for a "stick" in the build menu - This is helpful for taming, when on grasslands and you run out of precious sticks blocking in animals.

I only tested this with both the WickerBasket and Round Poll Fence.

:)

Also if you place a sign and move off it fast enough you get a solid sign with no materials in it ;)

Branches, Boughs

Tip #4:
WatsonX wrote: You can speed up leather production by putting a tanning tub thats already tanning leather by putting it in a boat and then taking it out. This will put the percent complete up to 92.

Leather, fast, tanning

(This works with anything with a storage slot btw)

Tip #5:
Vigilance wrote:
kaizokuroof wrote:When fighting someone, if they engadge first, place a signpost in front of you before they get to you and you'll null their attack - IE they will run into the sign - You can then follow up by attacking them while they are getting ready to attack you again (because they need to click the move and click your picture) - Also works while running away - you could use call down the thunder after you block them too :) :)

stack ip with thunder before they enter a distance to hit you, this is helpful with boars and slow-moving folk.

Combat, technique, special moves

Tip #6:
screwbag wrote:Bone ash could be used for crafting necro robes

Onionfighter wrote:You can burn sprouted wheat to get ash.

Ash, high-q necro robes

Tip #7:
secobi wrote:click the combat icon next to a rabbit's, chicken's, fox's, boar's or bear's avatar for an olive branch to prevent them from running away.

Hunting tip

Tip #8:
WarpedWiseMan wrote:You can drop a boat full of stuff in the blackness that encircles the interior of a house. Or an empty one. I used to port home and dump my boat into the black area so it wouldn't block up the place and so I didn't have to carry it anywhere.

Storage, space management

Only do this for the lulz as you probably won't get your boat back

Tip #9:
Amenbeach wrote:If you pick up gray clay and it is higher than q10, that means it's a ball clay node of that q.

Also, if you dig q10 acre clay, that means that 99% of the time, you aren't on a hub.

Finding clay, nodes

Tip #10:
dagrimreefah wrote:If you punch a chick, you get a dead chicken :D

Food, curiosity

Tip #11:
dagrimreefah wrote:If you want to fill a tanning tub with water from a barrel (or fill a cauldron for that matter), instead of using a bucket you can simply lift the barrel, then right click the tub/cauldron while the barrel is over your head. :idea:

But remember: Tubs only need 60L water to tan, but hold 100L

Tanning, time saving

Tip #12:
BruThoL wrote:Fight a boar, and hit it strong enough to make it flee (not killing it, derp).
After a few seconds (when it will be out of sight actually), It will come back to you and follow you without attacking (see top right icon, it's still "fleeing" fight).
Also, it won't use pathfinding to reach you if it can destroy things between both of you. So you can use it to destroy stuff in a claim without leaving scents (and usually faster than you would yourself).

Hunting, destroying

Tip #13:
jordancoles wrote:Remembered this one while out boating, when on a boat and you see another boat along the store, it is possible to use the lift command and carry the other boat over your head while inside a boat. This is great if you're boating and not CRing to a location, like a wagon on water ;)

Space management, storage, efficiency

Also for this it should be stated that with this trick you also move at the speed of the boat which is equal to running speed on land.

UPDATE 21/10/2011
-----------------------------

Tip #14:
Kurundo wrote:I'll talk about leech quality.

Leeches do have quality, and it can change. When you have a leech equipped it will drain your blood 3 times before bloating, each time it drains your blood it's quality will change one point towards what ever your constitution score is.

As leeches increase in quality they do more SHP damage and heal more HHP, good leeches can be used in conjunction with the Theft skill to replace your knocked out enemies with leeches that will do (in my case) 20 damage each time they drain blood (say you put 4 of these leeches on them, this will do 4x20x3 or 240 damage), which can quickly dispatch your foe while leaving less severe criminal scents about.

But seeing how I'm for the most part a friendly miner and helper of noobs that I encounter, I rarely use the above mentioned application of leeches and generally sit in my home using them to build up hunger while I afk.

leech info, combat, murder, scents, hunger

Tip #15:
lordu wrote:Cattle can be lead around by equipping a Rope, right-clicking on the animal, and selecting 'Leash'. if you unequipping a Rope while is 'Leash' the animal will fallow you and you can put anything in your hands like sword and traveller's sack, very helpful when leading 2 cattle

Domesticated animals, efficiency

Tip #16:
Amenbeach wrote:If you are mining and the block drops a stone at your feet, there is no more ore in that place. So, stop mining. Mine in a zig zag pattern to minimise cave ins. Carry a frog to slow down trolls that may appear. Wear a miners hat if you can, though you won't be able to wear a STR+ bear cape at the same time. You can't mine within 50 spaces of an entrance. If nothing is happening when you click on a wall (lag notwithstanding) this is why. Take tea or water with your while mining. You can go at jog speed in a cave as it uses less stamina than running in forests. Press Ctrl+N (on Ender's Client) to see clearly in mines and caves.

Mining, combat

Tip #17:
Sarchi wrote:One village claim can hold as many charterstones as you like. This is useful because you can use them in order to have a set warping point in your village without the time consumed by finding the proper cr, etc.

For example: Hearthfire by a clay spot, CS warp next to a bunch of kilns. It can make things much more efficient.

No longer valid as charter stones have been removed.

Tip #18:
rye130 wrote:You can port with items held in your cursor. For example, you are out foraging and fill your inventory and want to port home. You can hold your armor in your cursor to get rid of the agi debuff and save yourself some travel weariness.

Space management, storage

Tip #19:
MagicManICT wrote:
EyeOfRa wrote:Party some far away friends, thunder on one of their portraits, watch them freak out, and let the lulz roll.

Good trick to use if you want to force a character to stay online, too. (I'm not sure why you'd want this, but I can think of a few possible things.)

Joke, combat

UPDATE 22/10/2011

Tip #20:
ewlol wrote:You can create walls in rivers by taking MALE tamed cattle, putting them on a raft, then subsequently destroying the raft. The male animal will land on the water and stay there forever.

Bug, joke, domesticated animals

Tip #21:
ewlol wrote:You can press your number keys 1 - 9 to trigger flower menu options instead of clicking them.

Interface, time saving

Tip #22:
ewlol wrote:You can store mass amounts of items in barter stands.

This is particularly useful when farming. Begin by loading the barter stand with an ALT (not your main farmer, I prefer cooking alt, since I don't have to steal the ingredients out later). In the stock slot, insert random shit (like stones) and then select your desired purchase item as the crop you plan on harvesting (i.e. onion), set the quality to 1 and the number to whatever you want (I usually have 30, since I farm with an empty boosted inventory). With each full inventory, purchase the shit on your farmer, and then the 30 crop units will be stored in the stand. You can store an upwards of 8000 items in one HQ stand. (if you set the buying to 56 units and harvest with traveller's sacks).

The only downside to this is: You have to steal the crops out later when you want to cook with them. (oh and beets and pumpkins get annoying).

Discovery, barter, vending, storage

Tip #23:
ewlol wrote:High-quality chairs are a wonderful addition to your farm. They will regenerate stamina just as quickly or faster than q70+ water at high levels, and they don't use up very many resources.

Time saving, stamina

Tip #24/25:
knightgabe13 wrote:1. You can keep your happiness meter up by collecting frogs and killing them. I don't know if that's a pro-tip, but I'd keep that in mind for when happiness means something :P

2. You can lead rabbits in claimed areas away by leaving distance between them and you, and make sure you are in between them and the center of the claimed land.
Then, use punch and quickly press the icon next to them to get them to stop running. Voila, you have some lunch from their land.

Happiness, hunting

Tip #26:
bitza wrote:when you need bulk clay (brick wall), you'll get multiple the amount clay from a node if you dig at the edge (where it's q10), and as that particular tile depletes, move a step or 2 closer to the node peak.

Clay, time saving, nodes

UPDATE 23/10/2011

Tip #27:
I've decided to post a link to the Enders client for new players. It's not exactly a tip but this is slowly turning into a general noob guide so here it is. Standard client sucks, get enders and be cool like the rest of us. ALSO, here's the link to the current world 7 map :lol:
Ender Client Thread : viewtopic.php?f=27&t=14575
Map of World 7: http://sabinati.com/HavenMap/ or http://havenmap.sabinati.com/

Time saving, general info

Tip #28:
MagicManICT wrote:(use shift + mouse scroll wheel) works for the default client, too, and thus should work for all the clients.

Enders

Tip #29:
lolman70 wrote:if you lift a boiling cauldron when u are done it will stop boiling and saves the water

Efficiency, time saving

Tip #30:
dagrimreefah wrote:If you hold ctrl or shift+ctrl while rolling the mouse wheel, you can put item in/out of your inventory/into a container in order of ascending/descending quality, making seed-sorting easy!

Time saving, efficiency

Tip #31:
jordancoles wrote:When smelting ore in a furnace, fill it completely and let the ore sit for 15 minutes (16 to be safe). After the time has passed put one piece of fuel in and light it up. This is a well-known glitch that will save you a lot of fuel when smelting in large quantities. This also works for kilns and ovens.

Resource saving, efficiency

Tip #32:
rozn wrote:Always be paranoid, always expect an attack. Always be ready. Good tip to survive if someone attack you randomly.

Advice

Tip #33:
fox wrote:Image

little work

Tip #34:
GanjaGuardian wrote:You can dig sand in the character creation room.

Early game, time saving

UPDATE 27/10/2011

Tip #35:
Robertzon wrote:Image

Tip #36:
MagicManICT wrote:When trying to move long distances quickly, click as little and as far away as possible. The more often you give a move destination, the more likely you are to rubber-band back to an earlier position. This will prove helpful when trying to chase down animals you're trying to kill or when trying to flee a fight.

Advice, bug, combat

Tip #37:
MagicManICT wrote:Just put your HF in front of your house. You'll need to hold shift when placing it because a small section of the tile in front of the door won't allow objects to be placed there. Figure it as one measure of several a person should take to protect property along with a wall and personal or village claim.

Defense, advice

UPDATE 29/10/2011

Tip #38:
EyeOfRa wrote:Unequipping clothing with Shift Click gives discovery LP

MagicManICT wrote:This works for any equipment you have and haven't discovered on that character yet. The newbie clothes also give the discovery for linen cloth (so you can make torches). (I was informed of that by someone else, so I'm just passing along the tip.)

Early game, discovery

Tip #39:
rozn wrote:Control left click to get out of a boat. :lol:

Edit: Oh yeah. If a anthill is close to water then get the ants to follow you into the water. They spaz out and you can go raid without being attacked.

Combat, foraging, boats

UPDATE 30/10/2011

Tip #40:
shaner228 wrote:I have one, while not particularly useful in anyway whatsoever, it's kinda fun to do :P If you right click an uncarved runestone, so you see the write a message box, then without moving, have someone else move the runestone away, you can then write on the runestone without actually being near it :) which I find very fun to do.

Joke, bug, mail

Same thing works for parchments ^

Tip #41:
KeyKeep wrote:For bear hunting.

You need large shallow water (a lake is perfect).

Make a trap without totally closing it. Pull the bear (use punch on it from far to engage fight) in the trap.
When it's in, go into the water, wait for the bear to twitch, and close the trap quick.

Gather 26 IP (leadership skill "call down the thunder" is great but you can also use dash after every twitch).
Then after every twitch break the bear armor (lazy to find the move name but it looks like a door when you do it). Do this 4 times.
Then at the 5th twitch, knock its teeth out.
Bear should be fleeing now (look at top right circle, if it's green, it flees) if not, just repeat from gathering 26IP.
If your trap is ok, the bear won't be able to flee actually, so it'll just not move (neither attack).

You can go to melee without worrying.
Now, charge 16IP, use flex to max your attack, 2 times the door move, and knock teeth.
Repeat. Repeat, yell at the bitch stealing your boat, continue with the bear, it's dead, lift it fast because the same bitch who stolen your boat is just waiting for you to kill it to ninja it.

Hunting, bears, early game

Tip #42:
bmjclark wrote:I know someone posted about it a while back(not in this thread), but anyways. If you feed a deer a carrot it heals you depending on the deers level.

Healing, hunting

UPDATE 01/11/2011

Tip #43:
MagicManICT wrote:
rye130 wrote:If you are playing as a hermit why even bother with Yeomanry early on since you probably have nothing of value. Wander around finding curiosities and a place to settle for a few days all the while buffing your exploration.

Great point, but having a pair of bunny slippers and a backpack is very nice. Of course, it's usually not too hard to just pick up from where you spawn and start walking in a direction until you're ready to log off. Next time you're on, just keep on and start whistling "These Boots Were Made for Walking." At the point you get the LP for yeomanry, you could be far enough away to settle.

Early game, yeomanry

Tip #44:
Maulkin wrote:Construct your heartfire inside your house, preferably in a corner where it is not in the way.

Now construct it again somwhere else, where you like it to be. That leaves behind a normal fire that can be used to cook meat. If you leave the house after you are done, before it burns out, and stay away for a little, when you come back youll find your fire is back to unused. Rinse and repeat, the last a loooong time.

Workes inside anything, cellar, cave minehole.

(please rewrite please, im somehow in a rut where i cant fi my words together to create good sentences)

Joke

Tip #45:
GanjaGuardian wrote:If you have rage and not murder keep a frog or rat in your inventory, then when you ko them just drop the frog and jump to build attack back up. This is handy to have full attack bar when they awaken and also handy to build attack bar just in case you get attacked by their friends while camping the body.

Combat, criminal acts

Tip #46:
rozn wrote:You DO need to turn on criminal acts to forage on a claim but it does not leave summonable scents. On a personal claim however it leaves trespassing scents to get onto the claim, these can not be used to summon. On a village claim trespassing is allowed (To the point where you can walk freely) so you leave no scents when you forage items on a village claim.

Scents, claims

UPDATE 06/11/2011

Tip #47:
BruThoL wrote:When you're a noob, it's often painful to kill just a fox in fair fight.
You can either try to gather 26 IP then use opportunity knocks 4 times and knock teeth out.
Or go for full advantage...

But there is faster to do.

Go hunt with a friend (even if he has no combat skill - I usually go hunt with my cook. And we bring the meat grinder). First, spar, use fan the flames or lot of moves to raise intensity to 10.
Get back to your boat (not leaving the spar mode), and go find an animal.

When you do, engage the animal, and ask your friend to use moves on you (a fast one like flex or jump is cool).
Each time he does a move, your maneuver is activated.
Here is how to kill a bear from shallow water (assuming it's trapped).
Wait for twitch, punch the bear, go back to water, raise your attack bar using flex on your friend and him moving on you with you on bloodlust maneuver, punch the bear, ...

Or in a fair fight with any creature, your friend keep using some move on you and you use it at your advantage. If the creature has no attack, go bloodlust, your attack meter will fill very fast.
If the creature is nearly full attack, go oakstance and you'll be given def very fast...

Hunting, early game

Tip #48:
MagicManICT wrote:
ArvinJA wrote:There are numerous subtle ways to fuck up in this game. If you manage to get your key alt killed within your palisade, and he stands close enough to your palisade, and you let him turn into a skeleton, his inventory and equipment will be dropped. There is a chance that the key will drop on a palisade tile making it impossible to pick up, which means you'd have to ram your gate as your key will no longer exist (it will despawn before your ram has dried). So the pro-tip here is: if you're keeping your key alt logged in, either armor him up so random noob griefers with slings can't kill him, or keep him some tiles away from your palisade, so that if he dies, the key will be safe for you to pick up. Also, remember, there's an inherent risk involved in keeping key alts, and using your gates, be aware of that.

Better solution: keep a second key alt around. Just like a computer back up, you keep copies stored in multiple locations just in case the shit really does hit the fan. Remember, kids, why make one when you can make two for twice the cost? (Sorry, bad rip-off from a movie... points to whoever can name the movie!--would give you something in game, but... not in-game right now.)

Another solution: No matter who you are, get a village totem up. It's not hard to do. Build a set of crossroads so that you never need to use your keys again.

Key alts, advice

Tip #49:
Lopezruy wrote:Tip:
Don't scream at your computer like this:

Joke

Tip #50:
Maulkin wrote:If building something takes too long, get a friend to help, it speeds up the building.

Time saving, efficiency

Tip #51:
jordancoles wrote:Regenerating health takes away from your stamina so by putting your day/night slider to one side and using No Pain No Gain on a frog you drop on the ground you are able to drop your HP and then recover it at three times the speed. This is good for seriously burning hunger, for FEP.

Hunger, stamina, FEP, combat

Tip #52:
Mvpeh wrote:Make alts for basic tasks such as woodcutting or getting soil, water, or clay. It won't matter if they die, and it'll also speed up the process, as you can have your main do something else meanwhile. ;)

Effeciency, resource saving, time saving
Since world 7 it's advised to raise the survival on your alts for things like clay and soil because you will cap quality otherwise

UPDATE 14/11/2011

Tip #53:
jordancoles wrote:Once a bear becomes raged it will not run away from you anymore. If you have a low MM skill and the damage is gradual there is a very good chance that the bear will not run before becoming enraged when slinging from a boat also.

Hunting

Tip #54:
BruThoL wrote:Search keywords : alcohol, wine, beer, psyche, attention, boost, buff, intelligence.

Drinking wine gives a temporary +10 INT.
It's very useful to boost your attention by 10 points to study more curios.

Also, a wine glass contains 0.2l of wine. Though 0.1l is enough to activate the buff.
When you drink wine, one hourglass means you drank 0.1l.
So if you don't have much wine, a good tip consists in drinking only one hourglass (not the two - you can move quickly after drinking to stop before the second one is done). This way you'll use half the wine you would have used without knowing this tip.
Though if you drink half the wine, the buff will stay half the time (but it's enough time to put some curios on).

Alcohol also raises psy a bit. So drink some wine before crafting bear cape, or jewelry...
Here is a wiki quote :
If you drink Wine or Weißbier you will get the status effect "A Glass with a Friend" which increases Psyche by 5 and later after drinking more alcohol "A Glass to Keep the Cold Out" which increases it by 7. Smoking Tobacco also gives a temporary Psyche buff which is why it is recommended that you drink alchohol and smoke tobacco before you craft products that depend on Psyche.

Tip #55:
jordancoles wrote:When dying, die honorably. Even if your combat is total shit, might as well go out like a knight instead of a jackass.

Combat, death

Tip #56:
Malicious wrote:Tip: Don't settle down next to an already established village :P

Advice

UPDATE 17/11/2011

I have updated all tips with keywords below them for quick search, adding keywords to your tips will save me some time :D

Tip #57:
MagicManICT wrote:
Sheldon wrote:Pressing Ctrl+X in Enders will allow you to see behind objects

Hiding the objects works even better and everything can be hidden in Ender's. You can't interact with things with X-Ray turned on. You can when things are hidden. Also, the hiding objects is selective, so you can choose what you do and don't hide. X-Ray just makes a cluttered mess out of a busy screen.

Enders, hide, ctrl + h to hide

UPDATE 21/11/2011

Tip #58:
rozn wrote:Never summon perps ( with no hf ) outside. Do it in the safety of your basement ;)

Combat, general help, advice

Tip #59:
burgingham wrote:I have one too: You can block someone in a cellar by standing on top of the trapdoor.

Combat, tricks

Tip #60:
longfeather wrote:Sign posts are a good way to store mass amounts of blocks, leather, rope, etc., if you are running out of conventional storage. Just remember not to build the materials onto the sign posts.

Storage, space management, efficiency, early game

Tip #61:
Wisp wrote:Don't even consider buying swimming when you are new. It will likely lead to a quick death.

Skills, general advice

Stamina depletes VERY quickly while swimming and if you run out you will drown. The stamina depletion is affected by Constitution so if you're just starting out there is no real point in trying to swim.

Tip #62:
Wisp wrote:Carry some water when you are out foraging/hunting. It could save you from a sticky situation if you need to run away for any reason.

Survival, stamina, combat

Tip #63:
ApocalypsePlease wrote:
Ninijutsu wrote:When drinking water while swimming, don't do it immediately or you will refill your stamina immediately and it will stop drinking.

I learned the very hard way yesterday.

Don't swim until you have 60+ constitution and know the tricks to do it.

(Swimming is doable in the 40 con range, but with potential lag outs and whatnot, it is safer to have more just incase)

Advice, Skills, Swimming

UPDATE 27/11/2011

Tip #64:
Patchouli_Knowledge wrote:When making a layout for farming, it is ideal to have the different crop types in sections of multiples of threes. That way you can harvest the top third and use the lower two thirds for processing or fodders. The except for this is tea and pumpkins.

When sorting pumpkins, slice the pumpkins, then scroll the seeds into a seed bag before putting the seed bag into one small container and the flesh in a bigger storage such as a large chest. Doing this allows you to sort pumpkins by seed bags. This can also be done with poppies and tea leaves but more for filtering the seeds in the bag and putting the byproduct in another container rather than sorting by seedbags.

Farming, efficiency, advice

Tip #65:
Patchouli_Knowledge wrote:When performing heavy farming tasks, store cupboards in carts so you can have a deployable cupboard workspace. When you are done, put it back into the cart to protect them from decay. Alternatively you can store large chests (or a combination of both) if you are planning to transport products from one area of your farming site to another. Use the cart to transport liftable tools such as metal plows.

Space management, time saving, efficiency

Tip #66:
krikke93 wrote:When starting a new account/alt, you can learn lp by equiping your linen cloths and then unequiping them (you'll discover them). Also the same with metal armor/tools, so when you make an alt, you can learn lp from equip and unequiping metal armor and tools.

Lp gain, advice

Tip #67:
DDDsDD999 wrote:This only works if it's lagging, so it should work all of the time:
Open a container with wine in a glass
Right click the glass
Quickly click on ground somewhere before the flower menu shows up
Click drink and you'll be drinking wine from a distance

Nice if you want your villagers to go "wtf?"

Joke

UPDATE 01/08/2012

Tip #68:
The perfect hole curiosity that can be obtained randomly by cutting cheese out of its tray can also be worn as a ring and it gives a boost to your cooking skill.
Tip, little-known, yay me

Tip #69:
Ninijutsu wrote:If you're inside of a house while it's destroyed, you spawn on the ground where the house was unconscious.

Game mechanic, tip

Tip #69:
Phaen wrote:If you log out over water while lifting something, the lifted item disappears. I use it regularly to get rid of runestones and skeletons.

Space saving, little-known

Tip #70:
Agasi wrote:He isn't talking about setting down items aligned to the grid but placing the item as close as possible to another item.
Attempt this with two crates vertically, the crates would be closer together than two crates aligned to the grid. More crates could be put in a set area than if they were all aligned to the grid. This would probably be useful to keep boats tidy with their wonky invisible sides. But I haven't tried so.
But this is probably only useful for crates and possibly make them harder to click/access vertically.

Storage, space saving, tip

Tip #71:
TheTylerLee wrote:
Jacob_Lee wrote:You can easily burn hunger by hand-plowing a few tiles, then guzzling q10 water. It drains hunger very quickly.

even faster then that is sprinting while drinking at the same time

Hunger grinding

Tip #72:
Snakeyyy wrote:
villagegirl wrote:I got one, i hope its not mentioned already. I noticed I could pick something up and then left click (very quickly) away and I would move there carrying whatever I picked up. If your inventory is full that is. takes some practice but very useful :)

You can also (with a full inventory)
pick something up, and teleport home with it

Little-known, time saving, space management

Tip #73:
Federico wrote:While taming, have a friend/alt use charge on the tamer while having the Combat medidation maneuver (While Sparring). A full charge will decrease the cool down on both Call Down The Thunder and Quell the Beast, saving a good ammount of time to a point where taming a pair of moufflon can take 15~30 minutes instead of a hour.
Good if you're late for something or you just want to mass animals to improve chances of getting more females.

Taming, domesticated animals, time saving, combat mechanics

Tip #74:
MagicManICT wrote:Not sure who originally posted this, but a question about it in the Q&A thread made me think of it:
You can't empty a feed trough directly. However, you can use a trough to fill up a chicken coop. The coop does have an "empty fodder" button you can use to dump the old stuff out. Repeat as necessary to keep your troughs at or as close as possible to the quality of crops your filling them with.

Farming tip, quality, troughs, feed

Tip #75:
DDDsDD999 wrote:You can fill a trough you have lifted by right clicking the shadow with a fodder item in hand.

Little-known, troughs, farming, feed

Tip #76:
Colin500 wrote:Click right on image and "show image"

UPDATE 15/10/2012

Tip #77:
jordancoles wrote:Basically, shield stance is a way for you to transfer your MC's offensive power into a form of defense. It effectively turns your melee skill into a UA defense by multiplying your MC by 1.25.
If you have 100 mc and are in shield stance it's the same as if you're being hit with 125 ua.

Another reason why MC is used is because of the offensive weights of the moves. Punch is .75 weight, sting is 1.00, and val strike is 1.75 iirc. This means that MC moves will lower your opponents defense bar better than a punch which is the preferred attack for UA users. The up side to MC fighters is that it is much quicker to become competitive in pvp because of how much rings and armor help to increase the stat. On top of this your skill is multiplied by 1.25. The downside to being an MC character is that people who are full UA (the majority of players) will have the advantage of being able to use maneuvers against you, and they will most likely be able to get full benefit from those maneuvers. Since most MC users have low UA and high MC, it means that someone with 2-3 times more UA them are able to get the most out of their maneuvers when using them against the MC character. An example being that Death Or Glory will give them more IP every time you use a move on them and etc. It's not exactly straight fact but maneuver delta depends on your UA vs the opponent's UA. I would say that in order to get full delta on someone you'd need to be about 3x's their UA. As a general rule for an MC character you'll want to have at least 300 UA because otherwise everyone will be able to rape you with their maneuvers, DoG, Bloodlust, Oak stance, all giving full potential to your opponent while you're stuck in shield stance. The reason why I say 300 ua is because 3x's that is 900 which isn't common unless they're in a larger faction. Another reason why it's good to have some UA is that if you're hit outside of shield stance, you'll be hit based on how much UA you have an not based on how much MC defense you have.

Lastly, you will need high strength, a high quality sword, and you will need to be full martial in order to do anything as an MC character. Typical armor class these days is around 1400-1600 so you will need to be able to sting for higher than that in order to do damage to your opponent. Without being full martial you can almost forget about it.

Melee combat

UPDATE 17/06/2013

Tip #78:
Ninijutsu wrote:Reaching 0% starving causes you to lose about 4% of your max HP every few seconds.

Game mechanic

Tip #79:
krikke93 wrote:Wine counts as an FEP event, so this will reduce the amount of FEP needed to level.
This can also be useful when your FEP bar is almost filled, you can just drink wine and you'll level.

Resource management, tip

Tacheron wrote:Addition to tip 79 - wine and beer both stack so they're perfect "fillers" for any FEP gain.

Tip #80:
Xcom wrote:You can drop a lifted item directly south of your character by right clicking the head area (hidbox of your character at the time of the object being lifted). Boats, Containers, Random liftables works perfectly. Barrels and a few other items doesn't. But if you hold a bucket in your hand you can fill the barrel or empty it by right clicking your head area and accessing the barrel using this trick.

This is a very useful trick to place a boat/LC/container down to access its content fast as the object will be instantly drop directly in front of the player where it will be zero distance from the player as well. Access and drop will be near instantaneous.

Tip, space saving

Tip #81:
LadyV wrote:I was thinking of this earlier while feeding my animals. If you tame animals and don't yet have crops to feed them try using candleberry, apples
Mulberries, chantrelles, and blueberries also work.

Resource management, tip

Tacheron wrote:Addition to tip 81 - you can use elm tree boughs (not firs though) to fill troughs - useful at world start to feed tamed animals if you don't have crops to do it.

Tip #82:
jordancoles wrote:It's possible to follow someone in your party while carrying things overhead, this is great for alt chaining while carrying boats of logs.

>Get in a party with the person you will be following
>Step away from the item you will be carrying 10-20 tiles and then click to lift it
>As you're running to the object, right click the person's image box in the party
>Once you've picked up the object, click follow on the flower menu

Transportation, tip

Tip #83:
jordancoles wrote:You can board other people's boats without getting out of your own, all you need is a boat on the shoreline and for them to stay still long enough for you to boat into them.
This works perfectly for AFK victims

>See a boater in the water
>Place your boat along the shore and run back from it 10-20 tiles
>Click to get inside of your boat and while running to it, right click their boat to bring up the "Avast!" flower menu
>Once inside of your boat, click avast to boat straight into them and hop into the back of their boat

Happy hunting

Pvp, tip, boating

UPDATE 06/07/2013

Tip #84:
krikke93 wrote:Boat Bridge System

I'll show you all a little trick I use to make a bridge across a river or deep water cave pond.
Just do as I say:

1. Take two boats and put them in this position

2. Get in the boat where you are and boat to the other side

3. Lift the second boat and bring it to the side you came from

4. Get out of the boat. Both boats are now at the first side of the river.

5. Get into the second boat and boat to the other side

6. Congratz! You now have crossed the river with the boats at the exact same spot for next time!

Transport, travel, swimming, rivers

Tip #84:
Nummy wrote:Easy way to discover missing metals (you need at least one metal discovered for this to work, but you can discover later easier when you get bars).

For example: first you find copper on one character and you haven't discovered other metals yet. All you need to do is obtain one metal bar of missing metal or 10 nuggets. Then just go to alloying crucible and melt bar to nuggets and nuggets back to bar. That way I discovered iron, wrought iron, steel and tin on my character without specifically discovering them from process.
Hope it helps... :)

Metal working, discovery, nuggets, bars

Tip #85:
Tacheron wrote:Shovels remove stumps faster (don't remember seeing that one in the list).

Time saving, efficiency

Tip #86:
Tacheron wrote:When you're out hunting/clay digging or whatever, do it all from a boat: you can dig clay from shallows in a boat, you can put dead carcasses and even chests directly at the shoreline and interact with them without leaving your boat. Might save you at some point.

Safety, pvp, time saving, efficiency, hunting, foraging

Tip #87:
jordancoles wrote:You can plow the ground while in a boat on a water tile. If you put a meat grinder and a large chest in your boat you can kill an animal, make sausages and then store them in the large chest. You can then put the chest and grinder in the boat and safely grind hunger in the water without having to worry about someone stealing your things.

Foraging, FEP, hunger, boating, tip

UPDATE 09/10/2013

Tip #88:
Gallade wrote:How about this then, you can pour all the grape juice from a wine press to a barrel by just lifting the press, then right clicking the barrel.

Efficiency, tip, farming

Tip #89:
Gallade wrote:Every armor has an armor class that is expressed with two numbers (i.e. 5/10).
We'll call the first number Block, and it's the damage that piece of armor will nullify.
The second number is the Absorb, and represents the damage that the armor will take in your stead.
All armor has a set number of hit points, and once they absorb enough damage, they will break...
BUT! Block is calculated before Absorb, so if you have a high enough Block, nothing that would deal less damage than that will damage your armor (let alone you) at all!

Bottom line is...if you equip a full suit of armor, it will last much more than if you equip only one or two pieces.

Armor, armor class

Tip #90:
krikke93 wrote:
mrkittens wrote:Not sure if it's been mentioned, but you can pick mussels without leaving your boat. Gray clay too.

You can also interact with any object close to the shore when you're in a boat. For example chipping stones from a boat.

Boat mechanics, boating

Tip #91:
GenghisKhan44 wrote:Build your hearthfire in front of the door of your first house; except for you, no one can walk over your hearth fire.
BUT you will not be able to build it in front of the door WITHOUT using also holding down SHIFT to place it. SHIFT allows you to move hearthfires - and almost any other building or construction - outside of the grid. That can be very useful for conserving space and placing things in just the right position.

It's also important to note that anyone with the vandalism skill and a minimum of 25 strength can break your hearthfire to get inside.
Security, tips, storage, housing

Tip #92:
GenghisKhan44 wrote:An unrelated tip: foxes can be trapped within COMPLETED roundpole fences and cannot destroy them. This has helped me get foxes with a q8 sling and lvl 10 MM; a very good way to get early hide, leather, and INT food (very useful for curio studying).

Combat, animal AI, foxes, early world

Tip #93:
overtyped wrote:Heres the best tip ever. Get a 1 farming alt, with maxed nature. Farm these 6 crops, store them like the way Its shown in the picture. When you are grinding fep, eat one of each of the Q1 foods.

you have a barely 1% chance of raising the stat you don't want, and it will reduce the fep requirement by more than 50%.This method is how a lot of palibashers grind strength.

Con't.

Sevenless wrote:Since we're on the topic:

each food eaten reduces your total Fep needs by a flat 7.125% This means that 15 different types of food will guarentee a Fep event, no matter what your top stat.

Beer and wine are also Fep reducers, although they don't produce any feps themselves.

6 items overtyped mentioned + beer + wine + 1 food type for actual stat you want = 64.125% reduction in total fep requirements.

Grog wrote:Make it some more items of the wanted fep (roasted boar, roasted bear, salami) and its totally easy to raise a stat.

Also nice fep-reducers: All type of ants, blueberries, chantrelles.

Invariance, feasting, hunger, eating, FEP, grind

Tip #94:
jordancoles wrote:
ULGMsean wrote:While riding a wagon, you could lift and drop logs.

It is also possible to forage items while riding the wagon.

You can lift anything, you just need the proper angle

Wagon mechanics, oxcarting, tip, time management, transportation

Tip #95:
MagicManICT wrote:I've got two I don't think have been mentioned. The first I mention because I stated it elsewhere and a few people were surprised, so I'll post here:

Hotkeys: Crafting can be performed with the following commands--
Craft: 'Enter' key
Craft All: Ctrl+j or Ctrl+m

Still hunting for a hotkey combo for the "build" command on construction signs (if one exists)

Claims: Ctrl+right click a claim, and you can mem the claim owner.

Not sure these are well published anywhere, but I accidentally ran across the second one while doing some work with an alt.

In-game commands, key commands, efficiency, time saving, pro tip

Tip #96:
vatas wrote:Not sure how useful this is, but I have recently started marking herbalist tables by placing same quality fresh tea leaves on nearby tables. When they dry to black leaves I leave them there to give relative quality indicator of the table.

-----
Nice that somebody found my tip usefull. I feel like elaborating this thing a bit:
Why to use Fresh Tealeaves? They turn twice, first to Green and then Black leaves meaning they will go closer to Table's quality than other stuff that only turns once.

The quality of anything produced on a table is the average of the precursor item and the table quality. This means you can test the quality of a table by checking the quality of items produced.

q10 table and q20 fresh leaves would make q15 greens and q12 blacks, for example

Quality management

UPDATE 26/04/2014

Tip #97:
mvgulik wrote:Why settle for a [-1|+1] quality check if you can do a absolute table-q check.
RoB-Wiki wrote:Use both a Even and a Uneven q item (=> Fresh Tealeave). The higher TableQ of the two is the actual TableQ.

---
Let me include the formula to be used, or the above makes no sense.
TableQ[-1,+1] = (ItemOutQ*2)-ItemInQ

Quality management

Tip #98:

LadyV wrote:
MagicManICT wrote:
LadyV wrote:If your going to break mine supports to clear space be sure to use a miners helmet and be exactly centered on the grid square so the maximum cave in rocks that can hit you is only one.

How does one stay centered on the tile when trying to destroy something? I don't think I've seen this advice/trick before.

Turn the grid on and do your best to center yourself. Im quite sure centering programs are out there for exact centering. They were used last world for mining. I just do so by eye. And yes from all my mining experience it does minimize the number of hits. I've had my share of cave ins.

Control + Z with union client makes it so every tile you click on centres you to it

Mining

Tip #99:
YingYang wrote:I don't know if this is on here but when digging clay if you keep your survival at 1 you will get ten times the clay.

Brick walls, construction, resource management

Tip #100!
Bramson wrote:
MagicManICT wrote:
Cranny wrote:IDK if this has been said before, at least I have not seen it.

I harvested hemp buds by mistake with a char with no farming and they came up nice Q. :D
I also think it was a full industry char, but now Im not sure. :?

Nature industry slider doesn't matter as you always get exactly one.

All harvesting of crops, hemp buds included, are softcapped by your farming skill. Given enough Q on the crops, even a completely untrained farmer will still get a good quality, but it's still lower than if you'd picked it with your farmer.

I can confirm, with a brand new alt you can harvest hemp buds and they will come out the Q planted. :)

Farming

Tip #101:
jordancoles wrote:If you put a damaged skeleton into a boat it will come out repaired

Pr0-Tip

Tip #102:
Nate_H wrote:You can run over small animals with a Wagon.

Leeches will still attach to you If you pass through a swamp with a Wagon.

Tip #103:
jordancoles wrote:How to setup a decent cheese production:

You'll need 5 cupboards total to hold enough trays for one whole load of cheese. 30 tubs total can fill this setup overnight.
Keep 4 tiles full as placeholders in each cupboard (I've used leaves) so that you have the exact amount to fill the whole floor.

The middle floor has 2 cupboards and the top floor has 3. They could as one floor since the basement is larger and can house the 5 cupboards on one floor

Cheese, industry

Tip #104:
jordancoles wrote:How to setup a decent silking operation:

Silk, space management, industry

Tip #105:
Slaya15 wrote:If you get caught by a bear/boar inland, but have a boat waiting on the water, and decent-ish agility + combat skills, try to get some IP as fast as you can before the bear/boar attacks so you can get off the skill called Evil Eye. It will reduce the bear/boars attack to 0, and it takes bears/boars longer to get 70+ attack bar than it does for your Evil Eye to come off cooldown, so you could kite a bear/boar all the way to your boat. Keep in mind that it takes you 2 IP per use, so you'll wanna be using a fast IP gainer like charge (full yolo) while dashing to your boat.

I'd also like to note that run speed (alt + e) is enough to run from a boar if drinking water, and a good move to gain IP from a distance is call down the thunder

Combat

Update 10/07/2015

Tip #106:
Holya wrote:Pro-Tip: Turn on tracking, stand by the crime scene, equip and unequip a dowsing rod over and over again

This will reset the area for things that you can see

Tip #107-109:
Bampfylde wrote:#1:
Water combat:
You can put one combat move/attack on your cursor after clicking into a river (but before you enter the water)
This is great for movement hits when you get followed in by someone who hasn't got a move queued on you.
Also, its easy to get a movement hit on someone just after you exit the water but before they do, if they are right behind you - wait for them on the bank with an attack queued.
But try not to kill them in the water unless you have to :(
#2:
Flotsams without boat:
You can click to forage a flotsam in the water, and before you enter the water still right-click your flask. Stamina drains pretty slowly while not moving in the water (i.e. while grabbing the flot), but if you get below ~10-20% at any point just drink to full stamina and click back to shore to stay safe.
#3:
Insect combat helpers:
You can occasionally use ants to help you in combat, by triggering your manoeuvers/giving you something low agi to move off. Most useful with combat meds against a higher-statted opponent- but be careful, since you have to stop moving around so much briefly (they first attack then start their moves).

Tip #110:
DamJNeT wrote:You can ALWAYS use travel to hearthfire", even if you have 100% travel weariness.

To be able to bring back more than your inventory while foraging, build any container, fill it, lift it and travel to hearthfire.

If you want even more, build a boat and 2 containers. You can put the containers in the boat, lift the boat, and then port home.

That's why river foraging is so good but if you wander and find an abandoned claim with loot far from your home, this tip is great since you can come back with 40+ items instead of 10.

With the other tip of having an item "on your hand" when your inventory is full, I believe the maximum items you can carry while fast traveling is full inventory + 2 full containers in a lifted boat + item "in your hand"

Tip #111:
ramones wrote:I'm not sure if this tip was added already or something similar but...

When you're starting with fresh char, let it be start of the world or in later stages that you plan to use the char, create first random char, put hs on him then after 5min create your "main" char through his HS. This way you have straight bashable HF in case you wanna move anywhere else soon, without the need of reaching the strenght cap.

Tip #112:
Woot wrote:Not sure if this helps anyone for taming or anything, But I found that even with just 28 charisma with a random alt I have been playing with, stern order gives a full five advantage on mouflons.
It was weird, but helpful even 11 UA is enough to block the first hit at full advantage, so... yeah, great for taming, rather than side step or skuld.

Enjoy, also, with some skill, you can tame aurochs and mouflon with 11 UA. Boar too, if you find them with a very wide shore, like those at a lake. But bring armor....
Pretty sure that's common knowledge but I didn't see where anyone posted that mouflons are vulnerable to charisma moves.

Tip #113:
ramones wrote:Not sure if anyone posted this before, first post too long to go through 100 tips.

At beginning of the world or anytime in later stage, if you are just starting and don't want to enter the cruel world and afk character for sliders, you can simply leave character in waiting room and move sliders until he is full peacefull and ready to go. Don't forget to dig sand and take clothes for discovery aswell.

Tip #114:
venatorvenator wrote:I haven't found any mention of this: you can use the "harvest" shortcut/button to harvest dreams from catchers instead of right-clicking every single one of them.

This means that the ideal setup of dream catchers isn't a single line as villages use to do, but rather a zigzag, a circle, or two parallel lines where you can use the shortcut only once and harvest all of them without hitboxing.

Tip #115:
hathaway wrote:You can place empty signpost by placing it and moving to another position simultaneously. It requires some luck (or lag), but you can success more often if you practice.

Now go forth onto the hearthlands with this new knowledge!
And remember,

Last edited by jordancoles on Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:18 am, edited 85 times in total.
Duhhrail wrote:No matter how fast you think you can beat your meat, Jordancoles lies in the shadows and waits to attack his defenseless prey. (tl;dr) Don't afk and jack off. :lol:

Check out my pro-tips thread
Image Image Image
jordancoles

Re: Little-Known Pro-Tip Thread

Postby AnnaC » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:48 pm

jordancoles wrote:Tip #1: If you're a nooby and your shoes break under your feet, a way to get free shoes is to put leeches in the foot slot. It removes the thorn in foot effect.

Really? :shock:

Is there anything leeches can't do?
Hearthlings: Marona; Chamberlain (retainer alt), Vincavec (shaman of the Dryad Wells Forest)
AnnaC

Postby AAlex » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:51 pm

Right click your water flask before you cross the water, and then you can take a drink mid swim. I assume most people know this... But is handy to know if you don't. ^^
AAlex

Postby EyeOfRa » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:54 pm

I was always told about it, took it as start drinking before swimming,. I just actually figured it out, it's handy.
God forgives, Melsonia does not
Image -RJT on Melsonians o7
EyeOfRa

Postby kaizokuroof » Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:34 am

You can use boughs for wicker baskets and round poll fences - and presumely other things that just ask for a "stick" in the build menu - This is helpful for taming, when on grasslands and you run out of precious sticks blocking in animals.

I had a retardedly huge signature and have gotten this embarrassing replacement to show for it.
kaizokuroof

Postby AAlex » Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:35 am

kaizokuroof wrote:You can use boughs for wicker baskets and round poll fences - and presumely other things that just ask for a "stick" in the build menu - This is helpful for taming, when on grasslands and you run out of precious sticks blocking in animals.

Also if you place a sign and move off it fast enough you get a solid sign with no materials in it ;)
AAlex

Postby EyeOfRa » Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:43 am

Knew that one, Fun stuff. Not really all to useful though.
EyeOfRa

Postby AAlex » Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:47 am

EyeOfRa wrote:Knew that one, Fun stuff. Not really all to useful though.

Tell us more almighty one.
AAlex

Postby jordancoles » Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:59 am

Some good ones so far let's try and keep it going shall we? Doesn't need to be anything amazing, just something the wiki doesn't tell you after one search
Duhhrail wrote:No matter how fast you think you can beat your meat, Jordancoles lies in the shadows and waits to attack his defenseless prey. (tl;dr) Don't afk and jack off. :lol:

Check out my pro-tips thread
Image Image Image
jordancoles

Postby EyeOfRa » Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:16 am

AAlex wrote:
EyeOfRa wrote:Knew that one, Fun stuff. Not really all to useful though.

Tell us more almighty one.

I shalt let you all figure them out by thyselves, etc etc.
I don't know to many, not that i can think of at least. This one most vets probably know, but it's somewhat new to me. While moving, if you have a move queud you won't get hit through the defense.
EyeOfRa

Next

Return to How do I?