PvP Combat Guide [Old Haven]

Ask, answer and discuss any and all topics about the hows, whys, wheres and whens of playing Haven & Hearth.

Re: Comprehensive PvP Combat Guide (actually updated this ti

Postby Ninijutsu » Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:31 am

Marsunpaisti wrote:Also, the video was on world 7:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-663O6c1tKc

Animals must work differently than humans I suppose.
Of another era.
Ninijutsu

Re: Comprehensive PvP Combat Guide

Postby Ninijutsu » Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:30 am

Learned a neat opening gambit for static combat 1v1's

If somebody is opening up with charge and death or glory, wait for them to get around 70-60 defense bar, then throw on combat meditation and punch - NPNG - punch. It works every time, but it's risky if you don't know how to really capitalize on the advantage. I've ended fights very quickly by catching people off guard with this.
Of another era.
Ninijutsu

Postby cloakblade » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:38 pm

Ninijutsu wrote:Learned a neat opening gambit for static combat 1v1's

If somebody is opening up with charge and death or glory, wait for them to get around 70-60 defense bar, then throw on combat meditation and punch - NPNG - punch. It works every time, but it's risky if you don't know how to really capitalize on the advantage. I've ended fights very quickly by catching people off guard with this.

The counter to this is either to not get caught or to immediately Oaken Stance and Slide(?) ?
A.K.A. Suddo
cloakblade

Postby Ninijutsu » Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:06 pm

cloakblade wrote:
Ninijutsu wrote:Learned a neat opening gambit for static combat 1v1's

The counter to this is either to not get caught or to immediately Oaken Stance and Slide(?) ?

Dash instead of Charge. If you get punched at 60%~ defense in the opener, you have to worry about your defense, and that's time you're not putting into getting early initiative. Your opponent can snowball his advantage if you do that, regardless of whether he gets the second punch off.
Of another era.
Ninijutsu

Postby Ninijutsu » Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:54 am

Hey guys, I don't really play anymore, and now that I have a lot of free time I've decided to offer you something extra. If you have trouble understanding the guide, or want more advice, you can PM me for my skype name and I will coach you. If you want to spar you can provide me a character to use temporarily and I will help you out with learning how to get better. I will do it whenever you want absolutely free.
Of another era.
Ninijutsu

Postby gogis » Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:22 am

So, whats new with changed FLAB and FLEX? I have no access to spar and animals doesnt count. Any new insights, combos, strategies?
gogis

Postby rollinggun73 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:24 am

I really like this guide. It's saved my ass on more than one occasion. :D
"Trust can be one of life's greatest rewards, but it can also be the cause for the most destruction in one's life" - John-Talmage Mathis
rollinggun73

Postby PsychoRomeo » Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:28 pm

To someone who is completely unfamiliar with how combat works, this is a very poor guide. Much of the content of this guide is written assuming that the reader has participated in not-immediately-unsuccessful fights already.

In addition, when I requested additional information from the writer of the guide (as they claimed to offer), I had the pleasure of interacting with someone who was completely disinterested in helping me, used as few words as possible to answer my questions, and dodged questions that just required too much effort to answer.

Personally I suggest anyone having trouble understanding combat after reading this guide look for rats (in fields/forests) or toads (near swamps) and initiate a fight with them by attempting to use Punch or Jump on them (after learning The Will To Power) from the combat tab. That combined with this is what got me what I needed to know.
PsychoRomeo

Postby MagicManICT » Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:47 am

Someone can write a step-by-step guide, but it's a video game, not karate class. There isn't any way to pause the action and learn each move. Start out small with foxes and enough UA you don't get ran over (40 is a good number). Play around with each skill to get a hang of what it does and doesn't do effectively. Stay near a lake with wide shallows or a cave or house to escape to if things go south. When it comes time to start learning how to fight players, read back over the guide again. Get a friend or two and spar with them. Join a town with the goal of learning combat. You'll learn a lot more than anything anyone can post here.

edit: check out TheTrav's listing of various combat actions and what they do and don't do. It might be a bit more informational for absolute beginners.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby Ninijutsu » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:19 pm

Hmm, I wonder why my guide was excluded from a re-sticky over the others :\
Of another era.
Ninijutsu

PreviousNext

Return to How do I?