Beginner Guide to Village Roles

Ask, answer and discuss any and all topics about the hows, whys, wheres and whens of playing Haven & Hearth.

Beginner Guide to Village Roles

Postby Ranma » Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:53 pm

Hello, I am here again and trying to write another guide in my spare time, hopefully it would be useful.

First thing first, this guide is mainly made for people whom are deciding to go with the 'Village Life'.
Most experienced players are already know what to do and what should they do to become 'useful' for your companies.
Thus making this thread not really useful for vets and experienced players.

Here we go:

Before we start, I'd like to determine the difficulty on playing each roles and responsibility on each roles
as stated above, I will write it like (x/y) x = Difficulty y = Responsibility (1-easiest - 10-hardest)

Description for Difficulty and Responsibility :
Difficulty: Means by management viewpoint, how to efficiently do this, the higher levels of it the more time you need in general if you are not doing things
efficiently.
Responsibility: Impact to the village if you decided to choose this role and you are not online as much, higher it is, most likely more online time you will
need to fulfill the role.

-) Take note, you might even take 2-3 roles at once if you can master the efficiency for the difficulty and have extra online time to fulfill your
responsibility.
-) THERE is NO 'FORAGER' or 'EXPLORER' as a role since foraging is an individual activities thats need to be done by each individuals to avoid conflicts on
how to share curios gathered. Trust me, it never works. Good example to do foraging is when you finished your village duty or each to the village's rules
itself.

1) LawSpeaker ( 3 / 10 )
*) Usually is an alt. The real LS uses another character to do so.
*) The main decision maker, a leader. Anything needs to be done or even village's policy should be determined by LS.
*) While LS most likely doesn't really have specific things to do except decision making, they will take another role to play, thus making 10 stars on
responsibility.
*) To obey the LS's rules and regulations, you make yourself a good villager.

2) Chieftain ( 3 / 9 )
*) Simply put, if the LS is the boss, and Chief is the secretary.
*) Chief will usually need to handle some events and such as in the real secretary, you will see chief often than LS in forums dealing with politic.
*) Good chief example: (LadyGoo, Chief of Dis while Qant is the LS) and (Snackish, Chief of Brodgar while Yolan is the LS) you will see chief often in
dealing with political problems.
*) While Chief most likely doesn't really have specific things to do except dealing political problems, they will take another role to play, thus making 9
stars on responsibility, taking after the LS.

3) Farmer ( 9 / 7 ) Skill & Attribute Related: Farming
*) To compete with Quality Race or to keep the production up good, you need to be a VERY DEDICATED farmers as to pluck every harvest possible on these crop
(hemp , flax , wheat , grape). This is your primary crops that needs to be tended nonstop, you can even make a simple 3x3 areas just for quality raising
means for this 4 important crops.
*) Carrots, mainly used for high-Q waxes production. 1 beehive and 1 circle area of planted carrots. This is optional if you want to sell or make good q CTC
for villagers or whatnot.
*) Beetrots, mainly used for feeding animals, plant as many as your livestock eats, plant highest, feed lowest. Simple.
*) Tea, pretty much useless until you have a good herbalist table, but it is a good idea to level its quality along the way. Main source of 'filler' curios,
Seer's Tealeaves. And will be useful when you have good water and cauldron for LP-whoring (Learning Ability bonuses from drinking tea).
*) The second tier crops that is important: poppies, peapods, pumpkins, and onions. For, cooking of course. End-game tier best foods : Pumpkin pies, perched
perch, ring of brodgars.
*) The rest of the crops is fairly useless (tobacco, hops, and peppercorn), as in not really worth to be raised in quality because of the preparation needed
to handle them and the result is not too beneficial.
*) The next job for farmers is including feed the livestock. Getting some livestock is the other way to provide easy foods, wools and milks. Those are always
a good source to have.

4) Treefarmer ( 7 / 3 ) Skill & Attribute Related: Farming
*) The epitome of industrial Quality race, uses the 3 most important natural resource, water-soil-clay(pot). Treefarming is not necessarily worth doing
for every villages, you can buy the wooden product made by it (since when you buy from vets trader, you will end up getting much better quality than one
you grow by yourself). It is necessary when you're doing spirals, massing cheese, or any activities that uses wooden product excessively.
*) Read this http://ringofbrodgar.com/wiki/Tree.
*) Treefarming needs proper preparation (and it cost you a fortune) to be able to compete with the higher-ups. While the repeating process (resource, soil
and water and table upgrades, etc) to do treefarm is not so cheap either. So if you doing trees with the intention to trade, don't do it until at least
you know what are you doing
. Don't waste your time, trust me.
*) Firs, for their tree-product. Blocks, Boards, Branches, Barks. While Birch has the same function of different natural area. But somehow most people
prefers Firs than Birches.
*) Mulberry, no other explanation but Silkmaking.
*) Your another work is to store all cooking-branches in a Wicker Basket signposts for the chef to be able to cook decently.
*) Store Boards with cart sign and Blocks with Palisade sign. That way you will have stocks from the treefarm.

5) Miner ( 8 / 2 ) Skill & Attribute Related : Str & 20+Agi
*) Mining does sound challenging or fun to some people, while it is actually can be true or vice versa. Mining is in the verge of DO IT or NOT DO IT. What
does it mean ? It means you can't just thinking like "ah, I will stop with L5 or something like that". No, it is not enough, what is the difference of Q10
ore and Q50 ore to you ? Probably, yay higher quality ! NO, not again, it doesn't worth at all your time. Why ? Again, it is just better if you buy from vets
trader for some high Q grinder, cauldron by using your time which should be used to mining to L5. If you're looking for best quality metal product, our
traders will have better smelter and coals.
*) So, what to do ? I suggest mining is only to be done at L1, get access to some mines, preferably irons, construction grade irons. With this, you will have
crap metals for building and repairing purposes, also you can start wallgrade wrought and steel production which is high on demand at forums at midgame =
profit. Much much better than forcing yourself to go to L5 if you has limited resources needed to go to L5.
*) For wallgrade steel massive production, I would recommend a new small village claim with walls with only few smelters, kilns, and crucibles. Why ? You
will need this for ore transporting and blocks restocking mainly. Best project for smaller scale village, or even hermits. [OP Note: at W5 which I just
started playing for 2 months, I made 32 pcs of steel every 3 days by myself, including fuel restocking and everything else, 100% manual, ALONE. By only my
effort alone, I could gear up my whole villagers with decent gears. Trust me, it's not hard, all you need is a setup and boat with 2 LC and you're good to
go]
*) Last note, if you really persistent about going to L5, I suggest proceed with knowing what crazy preparations you will need and lastly, you KNOW what are
you doing and will do. L5 seems pretty intriguing with their golds and troll around, then again it is not easy, thus need an uber luck for it. The tunneling
will eat more than thousands of blocks and resources + efforts before you will find it. If you're going to L5 with mindset for normal metal ores, then it's
not even worth one bit.

6) Crafter ( 10 / 1 ) Skill & Attribute Related : Str, Perc, Dex, Psy, Smithing, Sewing, (300) Survival, Carpentry, Cooking, Exploration (believe or not,
some softcaps will need this). And have farming as an optional for all-rounder.

*) Or as said, 10 difficulty and 1 responsibility. This character doesn't need to online much, but it will always used to make everything around. Thus,
building this character is time-consuming like crazy while also consuming a great number of resources.
*) This character could function as 'production' machine to maximize utilization of village's product. I assume only mid-top level villages will have a
crafter on their own because of their difficulty to build this crafter toon.
*) Description for each :
Strength = Conjuction with smithing, weapons, armory crafting.
Perception = Cooking, and some softcaps
Dexterity = Obvious Sewing, Pottery
Psyche = Jewelry, Goldbeater, Curios making (Mainly any curios that named after Seer's)
Sewing = Obvious, no need explanation
Survival = More than bears, troll butchering ?
Carpentry = Everything starts from Boards
Cooking = Some softcaps with goldbeater (not confirmed)
Exploration = Some softcaps (this information is exclusive)
Farming = This character can perfectly be used as treeplanter + farming as well

7) Chef / Cooks ( 2 / 6 ) Skill & Attribute Related : Cooking + Perception
*) Sadly to say, I have to say this is an endless job If the farmer is competent in stocking ingredients. I would say you will be playing a minigame with
theme of Dinner Dash. Need a good house setup to start a cooking house.
*) You will need a good Quantity of good Quality ovens and a decent Metal Meat Grinder.
*) Foods is never enough for working villagers, but be careful of stats grinding little bastard doing nothing but grind stats all day.
*) Nutrisionist Guide : (Sorted from lowest - highest tier and coded from (S)-Lower (M)-Medium (H)-High tier)
[OP Note: I will only write foods that is technically superior and beneficial in terms of availability, cost, and effort needed. Ex:Roasted Bear(S) > BBB(S)]
Str = Big Bear Banger(S) - Roasted Bear Meats(S) - Brodgar Blue Cheese(M) - Midnight Blue Cheese(H)
Agi = HoneyBuns(M) - Ring of Brodgar(M) - Creamy Camembert(M) - Delicious Deer Dog(H)
Int = Fish Stick(S) - Roasted Perch(M) - Blueberry Pie(M) - Perched Perch(M) - Tasty Emmentaller(M) - Musky Miben(H) - Jorbonzola(H)
Con = Cow Chorizo(S) - Chantrelle & Onion Pirozki(M) - Bark Bread(M) - Generic Gouda(M) - Pumpkin Pie(M) - Apple Pie(H)
Per = Carrot(S) - Chicken Chorizo(M) - Mothzarella(M) - Carrot Cake(H) - Lamb Sausages(H)
Cha = I doubt anybody will want this crap
Dex = Perched Perch(S) - Chicken Salad (S) - Chicken Chorizo(S) - Chantrelle & Onion Pirozki(M) - Boiled Mussels(M) - Creamy Cock(H)
Psy = Roasted Troll Meat(S) - Boiled Mussel(M) - Steamed Cavebulb(H)
[OP Rants: Damn, son. Why is it so hard to raise Dex ?]

8) Warrior ( 7 / 5 ) Skill & Attribute Related : Unarmed Combat / Marksmanship, Exploration, Str, Agi, Con or Perc
*) Most people will think this is an interesting role because villager will give you foods or any shit for the sake of village's security. Therefore, doing
nothing but grind stats when everything seems to be okay. HELL NO !
*) The roles as warrior not much different than others, the difference is just about your LP spending and experience to your 'role' as in fighting, like any
of your villager, farmer does their job and spend their LP on farming and has experience what to do to get in order. Once again, YOU ARE NOT SPECIAL.
*) So, when there's no fighting, what should I do ? Yes, son. There is always PLEEEENTY of shits you can do. I will write some examples for what you can do
to be as useful as your village-mates.
[OP Note: Imo, warrior will be playing with a lot of village idols and p-claim+LS alts]
-) No such shits as 'RANGER', too mainstream. You do the tracking !
-) Making Foraging Outpost = Build 1 vclaim + 1 Palisade wall with CR inside and outside and then connect your village CR to the inside outpost also inside
to outside, so your village-mates can have that as foraging outpost. Though it's not safe, so it is better to make one not too far from main village.
-) It would be much much easier if you have access back to your main village since you will have so many jobs going 'outside'.
-) Help your miner to build 'Mining Network'. Idol again, yes you will do so many idol shit things for porting purpose
-) Feed as many mouths as it needs, grow some LS alts and have their accounts documented for your ports purposes.
-) Builds, builds ! building project can never be enough, there will be always building projects.
-) Cooking some damn glues ? Yeah sounds easy but it will fed you up if you need to cook them like just 4 pcs a day.
-) Resource gatherer (clay-soil-water, or even stones), yes you will need around 100 survival for it which is not hard at all. This simple jobs seems easy
but can be annoying, yet it is must be done daily.
-) If the village has treefarm, and the treefarmer collect branches in signposts, you could transport them from time to time from treefarm --> ovens area.
-) Collecting some fuel logs, for building purpose or any other shits. Fuels are always needed.
-) Don't forget, TANNING LEATHERS ! This jobs need to be done everytime.
-) Help your miners to smelt ores, seems easy but this labor is pretty boring to do.
-) SOOoooo MANY MORE.
[OP Note: There's countless thing to do without the need of any stats and attribute, and that's what warrior SHOULD do in their free time.]
*) So as you can see, there is no reason for anybody in the village says "Oh there is nothing to do, so I'll just grind stats." BULLCRAP.
*) Grind stats only when you have the 'NEED' not 'DESIRE'. When you do much enough, villager will comprehend and help you as well.

9) Hunters ( 6 / 6 ) Skill & Attribute Related : (200) Survival, (100+) Marksmanship, and some perc
*) Oh I want to be hunter ! because it is fun killing animal and shit. AGAIN, HELL NO !
*) Proper hunter will understand to take care of the 'mess' after finished hunting. What is this mess ? It is BUTCHERING the animals ! Put their skins on
rack, collect some meats and intestines for meathouse, collect bones at bulk storage house. Woot, seems to be easy ! No shit, doing once is easy, but how
about 50 animals a day ? I will say you will quit not long after. [OP Note: My crazy ass hunter killed 100 animals in one night (no mouflons no aurochs). You
will spend your damn whole day just to butcher.]
*) OH I think I can handle butchering after all. Wait, you forgot to tan the leather you dried long ago. 99% Playerbase would dislike tanning, you'll grow
bored after repeating it more than 5 times. Leather is never sufficient for proper production. It is a virtue when you do things from the very start until
the very end, not half-assed.
*) Still got extra time ? Of course, you can always roast the bear meats, roasted bear meats is the best total STR FEP based foods compared to any other
foods that is using a bear meat to make.

10) Silkmaker ( 1 / 10 ) Skill & Attribute Related : - (You will need to ask crafter to turn filament to thread, cocoons q = filament q)
*) First, read this http://ringofbrodgar.com/wiki/Silk
*) 1 Difficulty ? and 10 Responsibility ? Yeah, doing silk is as easy as that, but you need the utmost dedication for it. If you screwed up, it'll be a very
huge blows as your highest q eggs would die.
*) Several tips:
-) 1 Cupboard can only handle at max 6 couples of Silkmoths, 5 couples best.
-) 1 Cupboard can efficiently hold 12 worms with 48 leaves inside.
-) You only have approximately 3 hours irl before your worms dies IF you ever misses the time to move the worms to cupboard.
-) Don't ever forget to handle (sort) the male-female Silkmoths at the closest range possible quality in 1 cupboard to get best result.
-) For people who are busy with works, best time to do this 1 cycle :
a) Put eggs at the Herbalist Table before you sleep at night. Make sure you have cupboards filled with 48 leaves each depends on how many worms you're
expecting
b) When you woke up, make sure you move the worm is moved to the cupboards filled with leaves, 12 worms per 1 cupboard.
c) Around lunchbreak time, make sure you separate the breeding cocoons (higher Q) and cooking cocoons (lower Q).
d) AFK cooking cocoons while working (dunno if you can do this, if can't you need to organize with people for this).
e) After you came back from work, pair the Silkmoths to the closest range quality to get the best result.
f) Do this once every 2 days, don't force yourself to immediately continue the cycle. But you can always refill the cupboards with leaves.

11) Cheesemaker ( 4 / 4 ) Skill & Attribute Related : -
*) Cheese, Cheese ! Cheese is always a pleasant food to have. First thing first, if you can't at least somehow get 100L of milk (a barrel) at the very very
tiny least per day, it's not worth doing. The hard thing about cheese only at the setup. After you get the setup done, to produce is an easy job.
*) So, you will need to read this http://ringofbrodgar.com/wiki/Cheese
*) The most finite areas for cheese and the most important is cellar area, make sure all cellar area at your cheesehouse production is filled with
cheeserack.
*) Simplest tips if you don't know what to make, just make Creamy Camembert and Brodgar Blue Cheese. It will always needed no matter what.

12) Trader ( ? / ? ) Skill & Attribute Related : -
*) Trader, manages the village resource and trading them worldwide for the villager needs. Only 1 trader recommended for each villages, or factions. While
some major factions has more than 1 official trade thread. [OP Note: According to my personal experience, having more than 1 trader per village will usually
cause an issue somehow.]
*) The difficulty and reponsibility counts while depends on the size of the village, the smaller it is, the easier it is.
*) Skill & Attribute related is actually your 'connection' towards people. The more people you know, the more powerful that trader is.

That's all for now !
Hope it's enjoyable and useful.
Thanks !

Note: Due to request from some people for this thread, the few last part is abit rushed and published, I'm too busy with my work lately. See ya ! :lol:
Last edited by Ranma on Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Everything the light touches, is my kingdom.
Ranma

Re: Beginner Guide to Village Roles

Postby caz » Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:52 pm

Great thread, super helpful as I am planning to make a few alts! :D
caz

Postby NOOBY93 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:14 pm

Pretty awesome, thanks Ranma! Now, to get that lawspeaker alt a true warrior needs.
Jalpha wrote:I believe in my interpretation of things.
NOOBY93

Postby Amanda44 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:59 pm

Another excellent piece of writing, so informative.

Sadly I think work is always going to prevent me from running a big successful village but it's still interesting to see how the different roles are determined and established. Also, it was great to read that even as a hermit I am doing some things right, lol, and there's a lot to be learned from it even as a single player.

I have already read this twice and just like the last one i've no doubt i'll come back to it for reference again.

Thanks Ranma, sorry I made you rush it, :lol: , it's still awesome! :D
Koru wrote:
It is like in Lord of the Flies, nobody controlls what is going on in the hearthlands, those weaker and with conscience are just fucked.
Animal lovers - Show us your pets! - viewtopic.php?f=40&t=44444#p577254
Amanda44

Postby Takiari » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:03 pm

That was really valuable information, thank you! Even though I am not planning to join a village any time soon, just knowing the different roles will help me to play the game more efficiently.
Takiari

Postby Eemerald » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:15 pm

its a good take on what the roles are, although some towns do certain things slightly differently.

Very good piece of work!
A (bad) Haiku
I heart Emerald
She hates villagers with lives
Leads with iron fist
Eemerald

Postby Flyrella » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:33 pm

wow, you did a great job. That was very interesting information :)

though and I have a different opinion about some minor points

peppercorn and tobacco are not useless, tobacco of nice q restores your travel weariness significantly and increases PSY, yea wine does the same but overdrinking decreases stats while smoking doesnt
and peppercorn can save you TONS of relatively rare food like cavebulb butter meaning you can get more PSY with the same amount of cavebulbs. It is slow to grow and annoying to produce pepper but with descent q of it you need 2-3 times less amount of food

CHA is usefull for some attack moves so some people want this crap

I didnt understand why farming has 9 difficulty and silkmaking has 1

also I dont agree with having one "crafter" person, because it looks like he or she just needs all the stats and loosing a crafter would be a catastrophe for a village. It should be separated like metall-jewerly crafter who also can be a miner for a small village or sewing-pottery person who can take care of silk.
Flyrella

Postby MagicManICT » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:57 pm

Flyrella wrote:I didnt understand why farming has 9 difficulty and silkmaking has 1

Agree. Although farming in general is much more time intensive and prone to needing a bot if you have much to do, silk tends to be 5-10 minutes here and there until it's time to process cocoons every few days. That lack of a clickfest is accompanied by the need to be on at very specific times and track server downtimes which can result in a major loss if you miss a log in time by more than a couple hours.

Flyrella wrote:peppercorn can save you TONS of relatively rare food like cavebulb butter meaning you can get more PSY with the same amount of cavebulbs

Anyone who fails to recognize the power of high quality pepper is doing it wrong. It's not just for foods like cave bulbs, either. You can grind up a lot of str and con with less cheese if you use good pepper and hemp. Sure, it's a bit more work, but then how many crops are you not having to harvest to keep several more cows? How much storage space are you saving or managing fewer cheese racks and how many more alts can you jump up quicker?

So many of these roles shouldn't be "roles". If game mechanics were truly group friendly, everyone would be able to get out and help with the harvesting, with the mining, etc, without needing an army of alts. I think this post shows some of the weaknesses of the game. (There would still be armies of alts just on the off chance someone got killed, but it wouldn't be forced by skill mechanics.)

Trader- I'd put at 5/5. You need to be somewhat professional (at least not a complete ass) and aware of etiquette. You also need to be attentive to the forums, so you might not need to be in game as much, but you do need to at least stay up with things. Given game mechanics, it's not a simple thing to understand for newer players, but blue-eyed alts can be used for trading mules (the ones that haul the goods).
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby borka » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:08 am

This is not intended as a Guide for Pros / Vets (that already get bored by clickfesting because playing in different worlds now) but a Beginners Guide : we should keep out all Bot stuff discussion here please as it doesn't help those Beginners but confuses them...and to be honest in my opinion that clickfest is part of the whole HnH experience for Beginners ...
Java 8 - manually downloads - good to check for actual versions url here:
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=40331
Remember what the dormouse said: Feed your head Feed your head
borka

Postby Ranma » Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:47 am

Even with clickfest, for peppercorn i'd still rather 'BUY' some more cavebulbs rather than producing some peppers....
Because it's the least needed, there's another crops which is more important to replace.
You need some damn setup and some herbalist table for it. imo not worth the investment and trouble
better than investing on herbalist table, buy some great table / symbels instead.
Because for some reason i don't find massing the food needed is hard.
But then, probably those pepper will work good only for Creamy Cock : Dex, the hardest crap to raise

That is how my 'boss' crafter leveled up, superbly. :mrgreen:

Farming has 9 difficulty because you need to do it efficiently in terms of storage and setup to be able to do it.
For me, i'll use 2 clients for farming (no bots no). And spam click-harvesting on both.
When people start needing cha, there will be q90+ merch robes already which they will have already enough imo
And with crafter person, you will have a rich city like Emerald City, because there's Yuffie there, legendary crafter ! Nothing ever caps her crafting until too-crazy grinding phase.

For example: there's hemp and grapes. What to do ? they're processed differently and has their own tricks to do it faster.
and For example: 2 trav + 1 merch + 1 flask + 1 water buckets (specialized to collect grapes and press them while the other wear sickle and harvest grape)
that's another way to do it efficiently. There's so many ways to do it nevertheless, keep that to each to their own.
Everything the light touches, is my kingdom.
Ranma

Next

Return to How do I?