Wiki 'Getting Started' page discussion

Ask, answer and discuss any and all topics about the hows, whys, wheres and whens of playing Haven & Hearth.

Wiki 'Getting Started' page discussion

Postby MagicManICT » Sat Feb 07, 2015 6:05 am

re: http://ringofbrodgar.com/wiki/Getting_Started

I'm not sure if there is anything we can add to this, make it more noticeable, or otherwise help newer players figure out how to get information out of the wiki better. Some people are very computer literate and the wiki is exceptionally well laid out. Others not so much and they're going to struggle a bit until they grasp the tree concept a bit better.

I've debated on posting this here or on the wiki's discussion page, and this won out only because of visibility. Seems that anyone other than wiki editors and power users don't bother looking at discussion pages. Vets aren't going to look at the start page at all, let alone likely to keep an eye on the "recent changes" list and see there have been changes or a request for changes.
Last edited by MagicManICT on Sat Feb 07, 2015 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Re: Wiki start page discussion

Postby Ninijutsu » Sat Feb 07, 2015 6:15 am

Replace it with sevenless' guide. It's basically flawless.
Of another era.
Ninijutsu

Postby MagicManICT » Sat Feb 07, 2015 6:37 am

That came up in discussion about his guide. He didn't want it posted to the wiki. I, at least, will honor that. Besides, it's not going to remain flawless for much longer. It certainly wouldn't hurt to have a link to the guide there, though, and will do that now. (Why nobody has thought of that before, I don't know.)

I suppose I should say I am starting this discussion in regards to the following post as it's not the first time I've heard similar statements. I think there's a knowledge gap between those that are wiki (computer) literate and those that don't think in the same way, so maybe there's something we can do to help out and get people into the game faster and decrease the frustration levels.

LadyV wrote:The best one is have a section to each item that lists all the sub-skills needed to get it. Like for leather you need leather working but before that animal husbandry... That where most people get tripped up. Its nice to have your clickable links on recipe items but people unfamiliar may get off track in the process of reading. Maybe a list of direct skills and then prerequisites. I know its a lot of linking to each item but most questions really are how do I make this I have the skill it says, when they are missing a prerequisite.

And on page one please put "You must discover every item yourself to make most recipes or items." That would answer question number two most commonly occuring. lol

Those are good first step I think. :)
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby Ninijutsu » Sat Feb 07, 2015 6:46 am

All the information is there, I don't think there's anything we players can do about new players being confused that we aren't already doing. Short of forcing players through a tutorial, people will continue to ignore the (already existing) vast depth of resources available to hold their hand through the majority of their questions (for reasons I still cannot fathom).
Of another era.
Ninijutsu

Postby LadyV » Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:04 am

Well Im a bit different minded than some of the others. The goal of a wiki is to educate even if it means Haven for Dummies. We can not affect laziness or an individual's navigation skills but we can present a clear picture of each topic. Some may find it redundant to have links and descriptions but for a new person it can seem overwhelming when they only want a simple answer. So how do you solve that? You give them a simple answer.

You don't assume they understand or will grasp it in time. The wiki is a tool to learn. If they can't get what they want will they use it?

I agree Sevenless' guide is very nice. But if he does not want it there we should respect that. A general walkthrough is helpful though.

A good start page should have a level for clueless new players and a depth for veterans. Obviously a "New Players Start here" section. (Beyond the everything gives LP section there now.) Even adding the multitude of tips suggested here in the forums. Someone was collecting them in a thread at some point. Use them!

Add an environment link so people can learn which zone they are in. From a new players perspective they can very easily make cone cows if they are in a broadleaf forest. Add starting tip to those environments.

The wiki is very informative but getting to the layer you need to answer a question is not easy to the unfamiliar player.
LadyV

Postby mvgulik » Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:34 am

MagicManICT wrote:I've debated on posting this here or on the wiki's discussion page, and this won out only because of visibility.
Thank you.
(+ No need for players/forum_users to also create a wiki account to just take part in the discussion.)

General stuff that comes to my mind at the moment:
- Any information book(or Wiki) is as useful as its index(user targeted) is.
- An perhaps a good concise overview before guiding the user into the detail.
-- Images can help out here a lot, if done correctly.
Both sound easy, but 'in my view' there are not.

---

LadyV wrote:present a clear picture of each topic.
this. (like whole post after fully reading it.)
mvgulik

Postby mvgulik » Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:51 am

PS: Suggest title change to something like "Wiki 'Getting Started' discussion". Unless your also targeting the main RoB wiki 'Start page'.
mvgulik

Postby CheetosPotato » Sat Feb 07, 2015 2:08 pm

Something I just wanted to throw out there. I noticed a few new players, myself included at one point, having trouble putting items in building signs. I kept clicking the build button, and so did they, confused as to why we couldn't build it despite the fact that we had everything we needed. I had to go through a fair bit of fishing to find out how that worked. Anyway, just remember that when creating a newbie's guide.
CheetosPotato

Postby mvgulik » Sat Feb 07, 2015 4:05 pm

Note: Knowing the reason(s)/misconception(s) that a new player had when they where trying to do something, that they thought should work, but didn't. Is way more useful.
mvgulik

Re: Wiki 'Getting Started' page discussion

Postby borka » Sat Feb 07, 2015 5:22 pm

mvgulik wrote:PS: Suggest title change to something like "Wiki 'Getting Started' discussion". Unless your also targeting the main RoB wiki 'Start page'.

this - the 'Getting started' page sure can use some overhauling

CheetosPotato wrote:Something I just wanted to throw out there. I noticed a few new players, myself included at one point, having trouble putting items in building signs. I kept clicking the build button, and so did they, confused as to why we couldn't build it despite the fact that we had everything we needed. I had to go through a fair bit of fishing to find out how that worked. Anyway, just remember that when creating a newbie's guide.

While every RoB Wiki buildings page mentions the drying time ... :roll:
borka

Next

Return to How do I?