Having trouble starting the game

Ask, answer and discuss any and all topics about the hows, whys, wheres and whens of playing Haven & Hearth.

Having trouble starting the game

Postby asaphunter » Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:02 am

I am on a Mac and I downloaded the Ender client of the game and downloaded the JRE from Java to play it, but when I go to play it on the run.command it tells me the JDK doesn't support 32-bit. Have tried to download a whole boat load of different Javas to get it to work but never will. I got on my girlfriend's computer (also a Mac) and did the same steps and it works fine. Anyone have anything to help me? This game seems amazing and something I could get into if I could actually get it to work on my computer.

Edit: This is the exact message it gives me

Code: Select all
Error: This Java instance does not support a 32-bit JVM.
Please install the desired version.
logout

asaphunter

Re: Having trouble starting the game

Postby MagicManICT » Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:37 am

Some helpful information needed:

What version of Java is installed on these computers?
What operating system version is installed?

Odds are either the Java installation is different, operating system versions are different, or both.

If it's an older Mac, it could be running an outdated version of Java that had issues with 32 bit support. The solution is to either update Java, or if that's not possible, install Apple's Java 6. (The best solution would be to update the operating system if it is older, but again, that may not always be possible or practical.)

I'm not a Mac expert, but this was a frequent problem with Mac users and Java apps.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Re: Having trouble starting the game

Postby borka » Sat Mar 21, 2015 3:02 pm

As Magic said - check what OsX version you have and what OsX version is on your girlfriends Mac - check on both what Bit versions.
Java + Client have to be same Bit versions - so if you have a 32 Bit OsX you can only grab old Apple Java 6 32 Bit
https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1572?vie ... cale=en_US

and Ender will download the i386 libaries - if you create a run.command there needs to be the -d32 switch

You might look at this thread also
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=32796&start=130#p469308

Oracle Java 7 and 8 are 64 Bit only which need OsX 10.7.3 minimum
Java 8 - manually downloads - good to check for actual versions url here:
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=40331
Remember what the dormouse said: Feed your head Feed your head
borka

Return to How do I?