Thinking small

Ask, answer and discuss any and all topics about the hows, whys, wheres and whens of playing Haven & Hearth.

Thinking small

Postby Agripeta » Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:00 pm

As w7 goes on longer, raiders skill numbers are getting crazy. Large village plots are an easy target if you dont have much manpower to defend.

For 1-3 players, keeping small helps stay unnoticed. I am looking for small, efficient, yet functional plot designs to support only 1-3 players.

Also looking to keep minimap footprint to a minimal as well. Thank you for the help!
Agripeta

Re: Thinking small

Postby shubla » Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:06 pm

Agripeta wrote:As w7 goes on longer, raiders skill numbers are getting crazy. Large village plots are an easy target if you dont have much manpower to defend.

For 1-3 players, keeping small helps stay unnoticed. I am looking for small, efficient, yet functional plot designs to support only 1-3 players.

Also looking to keep minimap footprint to a minimal as well. Thank you for the help!

Get far away from rivers and mountains, anything that might attract people. Away from centre of map . Dont leave any scents, even tresspass. Build brickwall and do ramchecks, dont afk outside. Dont chop trees or plant grass so people can see that there is something or somone living. You can also try live underground and have just small brickwall somewhere where you farm stuff.
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby Ninijutsu » Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:02 pm

Just encase everything in a brick wall and patrol it twice a day. Utilize a plot system where each plot is individually walled for extra protection if you wish. Congratulations, you're now invincible from outside threats.
Of another era.
Ninijutsu

Postby Agripeta » Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:49 pm

Thank you for the responses, however when I said for groups unable to defend themselves, I was including access to steel for BW. I think veterans forget inexperienced players starting from scratch can be in pre-steel phase for awhile, especially if playing alone or with groups this scenario would apply to.
Agripeta

Postby longfeather » Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:59 pm

Agripeta wrote:Thank you for the responses, however when I said for groups unable to defend themselves, I was including access to steel for BW. I think veterans forget inexperienced players starting from scratch can be in pre-steel phase for awhile, especially if playing alone or with groups this scenario would apply to.

Even in a small group, have one player who is a miner designated to do nothing but pick walls and prospect until you find iron. There are tons of nodes, even this late in the world.

This should always, in any scenario, be one of the things on the top of a budding village's list of priorities.

Without iron you will lack wrought and steel and, as already realized, lack protection from players who might wish you harm.
longfeather

Postby Ninijutsu » Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:53 pm

Agripeta wrote:Thank you for the responses, however when I said for groups unable to defend themselves, I was including access to steel for BW. I think veterans forget inexperienced players starting from scratch can be in pre-steel phase for awhile, especially if playing alone or with groups this scenario would apply to.

The reality of your situation is that it's foolish to expect ANY level of safety until you have a brick wall, no matter what precautions you try to take, therefore it should be your number one priority. It's not too hard to get one.
Of another era.
Ninijutsu

Postby venatorvenator » Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:58 am

An alternative is developing forager alts to gather flotsams and mountain curios. After that you make an idol and buy the metal and steel you need for the wall.

It is a better option if you don't already have a pickaxe and an iron node, and it might even be faster depending on how successful you are in finding those curios.

As for long-term ideas on leaving low footprint, make a small surface village for farming and a larger underground village in another supergrid. You won't draw that much attention, and even if you do you the damage will not be high.
Xcom wrote:Most good things last only a short time
venatorvenator

Postby Sylwa » Fri Apr 10, 2015 5:07 am

Agripeta wrote:As w7 goes on longer, raiders skill numbers are getting crazy. Large village plots are an easy target if you dont have much manpower to defend.

hi hi, I am not really experienced at all but I just wanted to say that I was able to mine enough iron in 2 weeks to build a brick wall for my place. I still haven't built said brickwall because I am actually having a harder time to make 5000 bricks than getting the iron (also it's boring so I procrastinate) so it can be done (or I was just lucky maybe)
Sylwa

Return to How do I?