Confused about Tracking, please help explain

Ask, answer and discuss any and all topics about the hows, whys, wheres and whens of playing Haven & Hearth.

Confused about Tracking, please help explain

Postby bexy » Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:38 pm

I've been playing about a week and a half now. Two weeks? Something. Anyway, we started to have people stealing from us (:(). We ended up moving in search of better soil and to avoid robbers, but we're getting stolen from AGAIN! I'm really frustrated. We're working on building a palisade but it's a slow process, obviously.

Anyway, which direction am I actually supposed to go when I am tracking a scent? People keep talking about the "pie slice," and I see that. I assumed that I pursue a direction indicated by the largest part of the "slice," because it's showing the variable range in which the tracked thing could be. But people are saying "where the pie slice points," so I'm not sure if that's right anymore. Also, one of the scents I collected gave me 4 instead of 1. Why is that? And then I was tracking in the water and I'm pretty sure I temporarily saw two slices in opposite directions, in different colors. What.

Please help me understand. I'm really frustrated and just want to have fun with my garden and silk moths and making cheese :(

If any high leveled players want to collect some of the scents from my house that would be cool. Is it possible for other people to see the scents I put in a cupboard and them track them?

Thanks so much to everyone who takes the time to read this
bexy

Re: Confused about Tracking, please help explain

Postby Ninijutsu » Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:51 pm

The pie slice you see is the range in which direction they could be. You can get a more clear direction if you stand still and track the scent multiple times. The area where they overlap is a more accurate representation of the perpetrator's direction.

If you picked up multiple scents at once, it means multiple crimes were committed, possibly by the same person. For instance, if they stood at a cupboard and stole 5 different items, there would be 5 separate scents when you picked it up, because each item he stole was its own crime.
Of another era.
Ninijutsu

Return to How do I?