How do I get the metal to make a mine support?

Ask, answer and discuss any and all topics about the hows, whys, wheres and whens of playing Haven & Hearth.

How do I get the metal to make a mine support?

Postby Smoopadoop » Fri May 22, 2015 11:15 am

It seems like a catch-22. I need supports to mine, and I need a mine for supports.
Does the exit ladder provide the same amount of support as a built support (if any)?
If it does, then that's alright then, and I can get metal without getting squished.
Or do I need to trade/steal/beg/pray for some metal?
MODS ARE ASLEEP POST SMALL BART
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Smoopadoop

Re: How do I get the metal to make a mine support?

Postby Amanda44 » Fri May 22, 2015 11:22 am

No, the exit ladder doesn't provide any support, I'm afraid you will have to trade/steal/beg/pray for some metal. :)

Or maybe check round in some caves, lots are abandoned now without claims, leaving supports and nodes already available.
Koru wrote:
It is like in Lord of the Flies, nobody controlls what is going on in the hearthlands, those weaker and with conscience are just fucked.
Animal lovers - Show us your pets! - viewtopic.php?f=40&t=44444#p577254
Amanda44

Postby Smoopadoop » Fri May 22, 2015 11:29 am

Amanda44 wrote:No, the exit ladder doesn't provide any support, I'm afraid you will have to trade/steal/beg/pray for some metal. :)

Or maybe check round in some caves, lots are abandoned now without claims, leaving supports and nodes already available.

Okay then. There WAS a cave near me, but someone claimed it.
A few hours ago.

Oh well, I wasn't anywhere near ready for mining yet.
I only just started, and I didn't even have yeomanry yet :/
Smoopadoop

Postby Amanda44 » Fri May 22, 2015 11:50 am

In that case, might I make a suggestion .......... at this point in the world it is well worth travelling around a bit in search of a good place to settle, there are many abandoned places that you could just take over, not all are claimed, I remove claims from abandoned places near me and I know other players who do the same in their areas, on top of that some players remove claims anyway or remove them for the lp when they move on.

If you can find a cave, as mentioned previously, that will be a big step forward with regard to obtaining metals. I have two bases in separate area's and both now have abandoned cave nodes nearby, unclaimed with supports already in place.

It's a big map, no need to settle where you land, find yourself a good spot. :)
Koru wrote:
It is like in Lord of the Flies, nobody controlls what is going on in the hearthlands, those weaker and with conscience are just fucked.
Animal lovers - Show us your pets! - viewtopic.php?f=40&t=44444#p577254
Amanda44

Postby Smoopadoop » Fri May 22, 2015 11:59 am

But how do I really know if a spot is good or not?
Smoopadoop

Postby LadyV » Fri May 22, 2015 12:26 pm

Smoopadoop wrote:But how do I really know if a spot is good or not?

You don't have to have a cave. You can make a minehole. As for if a spot is good you never know till you start mining. But if you have lots of ruins or abandoned places around you you might be able to find a couple of nuggets to get you started if the other suggestions above are not a go.
LadyV

Postby Dzedajus » Fri May 22, 2015 2:42 pm

If you have village idol and really struggling with metals I can give you few bars for symbolic price to get you started.
Try prospecting with rustroot until you find something then try to look if that place has cave underground, if not the place minehole. First tiles around minehole ground are safe to mine except corners.
Dzedajus

Postby borka » Fri May 22, 2015 3:28 pm

Smoopadoop wrote:Okay then. There WAS a cave near me, but someone claimed it.
A few hours ago.

Oh well, I wasn't anywhere near ready for mining yet.
I only just started, and I didn't even have yeomanry yet :/

You may drop a runestone asking the claim owner for help or cooperation ...
borka

Postby RustyBuckitt » Fri May 22, 2015 4:05 pm

Smoopadoop wrote:It seems like a catch-22. I need supports to mine, and I need a mine for supports.
Does the exit ladder provide the same amount of support as a built support (if any)?
If it does, then that's alright then, and I can get metal without getting squished.
Or do I need to trade/steal/beg/pray for some metal?

Amanda44 wrote:I'm afraid you will have to trade/steal/beg/pray for some metal.

Sadly, it isn't that simple...

Since you can't build Mine Supports on the Tiles produced by the Mine-hole (I've tried several times before), you will need to mine out one tile for you to place a mine support. Recommended if your going to buy some metal for supports, you go but a pickaxe and a miners helm, otherwise, stock up on some leeches and bandages (gauze), you'll need them.

EDIT: Removed false info, thanks to Arcanist for pointing it out :)
Last edited by RustyBuckitt on Fri May 22, 2015 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Me and Stone gonna break your bones." In loving memorry of Stick

RustyBuckitt

Postby Arcanist » Fri May 22, 2015 6:30 pm

You can mine any tile while you are standing on a native cave terrain tile. If you find an iron vein in a cave this will give you enough metal to start.
If you build a mine hole, you can mine any tile from it that isn't in the corner.

NNYYYYYNN
N________N
Y________Y
Y________Y
Y________Y
Y________Y
Y________Y
N________N
NNYYYYYNN

Y = can mine
N can't mine

If you drop your mine hole in the middle of a vein then you can ge enough ore to start from there too.

RustyBuckitt wrote:Another thing a read a while back, was that your STR stat will affect the chances of a cave-in. Simply put, the more STR, the Less Cave-In.

This is false. There is 100% chance of a cave in if you mine a tile that is not safe, and 0% when mining a tile that is safe.
Arcanist

Return to How do I?