What makes a good area for building homes?

Ask, answer and discuss any and all topics about the hows, whys, wheres and whens of playing Haven & Hearth.

What makes a good area for building homes?

Postby Kipperds » Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:06 am

Hello everybody,

I've recently began playing this game for the first time and am enjoying it very much, I've managed to get myself a fishing rod, a nice "leaf hat", a boat and quite a set of skills. My recent play sessions have just involved me riding around on my boat, searching for a place to begin construction on my home. But I'm not quite sure where exactly is considered a "good" place to settle down. I understand it shouldn't be too close to the water, but that's about it. Should I keep my distance away from other player's structures (especially the relatively large ones)? And should I build my house in one of those plains I've seen throughout my travels? Is my method of mainly traveling by boat to find said area an efficient method? These are some the many questions I have and I hope some of you will be able to answer them.

Thank you.

-Kipperd(s)
Last edited by Kipperds on Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kipperds

Re: What makes a good area for building homes?

Postby TeckXKnight » Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:17 am

Generally your home will need ready access to resources that you need to not only sustain yourself but to advance in the game. For a new player this means establishing yourself somewhere with curiosities that you can readily gather, good soil to farm on, and some clay for basic production. If you can find somewhere near a mountain, swamp, and/or mudflat that would help you a lot. Security is a big issue so you'll want some access to wood to establish a palisade quickly but that can be imported as long as you know where wood is nearby. Food is the lowest priority since the bulk of your food production will be done within the safety of your home. Farming, herding, and cheese production tend to make up the bulk of food production for players. Foraging, fishing, and hunting are nice but they are usually an afterthought unless you specifically enjoy that type of play style, in which case prioritize them.

Ultimately your home needs to facilitate a fun experience for you. If you hate farming and absolutely love hunting? Build your home near a forest and go stalk bears. Nuts to everyone who tells you this is the wrong way to play the game. If you want a peaceful life producing silk, foraging for pearls, and trading for resources? Find a nice little lake and setup shop.

Best of luck to you.
TeckXKnight

Postby simimi » Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:29 am

Werever you make your home, you can always go find stuff by boat, so its not that important.
Just find a spot with a good balance between far from river to hide, and close to not have to much to walk to boat.
I prefer plains, cause there is not spawn of dangerous animals, and its good for fast foraging (no pathfinding problems, chikens, etc..).
Other nice quality of life tip is you soon will have to build a brickwall, that a ton of clay, so better be not far from a clay nod.
simimi

Postby LadyV » Wed Aug 19, 2015 5:04 am

A large source of wood, water, a clay node, and close to a river without being right upon it. :)
LadyV

Postby Amanda44 » Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:32 am

Hi, welcome to Haven. :)

As for other player bases, it's best not to build within eyesight of them, even friendly players will not want another settlement directly on top of them. My strategy is to build in an empty area and then once established with walls of some kind I go and make a point of introducing myself to other settlements I've seen or any new comers that arrive after me. With a bit of effort and good luck you can form trade relationships or friendships which make the hermit life more enjoyable and productive.
Not everyone will want to be sociable but at least you will know whom to avoid or be cautious of. :)

Good luck!
Koru wrote:
It is like in Lord of the Flies, nobody controlls what is going on in the hearthlands, those weaker and with conscience are just fucked.
Animal lovers - Show us your pets! - viewtopic.php?f=40&t=44444#p577254
Amanda44

Return to How do I?