[Programming] Halp with Lumin brightness.

Forum for alternative clients, mods & discussions on the same.

Moderator: Phades

[Programming] Halp with Lumin brightness.

Postby Oddity » Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:39 pm

I need to mod the client's Lumin object, but the whole rendering thing is too complicated for me to understand without diving into it deeper.

Currently, this is how bright a single object with a Lumin is (in pitch darkness):

On the right side of the picture, you can see how bright a second Lumin overlayed over the first one is.

I want a single Lumin to look more like maximum daylight brightness:

Currently, stacking a whole bunch of Lumins on top of each other just gives me this:

Been playing around with ILM.java for a while, but haven't managed to get the effect I want yet.
jadamkaz wrote:ah i remember my run in with odditown they are good ppl im sure the only reason they killed ME is because they are troll hunters and i was a troll
Oddity

Re: [Programming] Halp with Lumin brightness.

Postby Xcom » Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:28 pm

If I get bit of breeding room from uni I'll give it a go. Hope it wont be to late by then.
Xcom

Postby Oddity » Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:08 pm

I can get the desired shape by changing the ILM.java static block to this:
Code: Select all
static {
   int sz = 400;
   BufferedImage lb = new BufferedImage(sz, sz, BufferedImage.TYPE_INT_ARGB);
   Graphics g = lb.createGraphics();
        Color c = new Color(255, 255, 255, 128);
        g.setColor(c);
        g.fillOval(0, 0, sz, sz);
   ljusboll = lb;
    }

But playing with the color values hasn't helped me change the amount of brightness per Lumin mask. :(

The maximum brightness I can attain with repeated Lumins is also rather low still:
jadamkaz wrote:ah i remember my run in with odditown they are good ppl im sure the only reason they killed ME is because they are troll hunters and i was a troll
Oddity

Postby boshaw » Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:33 pm

You adjust the ambient color of ILM
boshaw

Postby Nummy » Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:00 pm

Here is your solution m8. Just reverse color or blending and you should be fine. Dark outside and bright inside :)
Nummy

Postby Oddity » Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:05 am

Nummy wrote:Dark outside and bright inside :)

Yeah, got that part figured out. But I can't get it to be as bright inside the circle as maximum daylight (eg. if you have nightvision enabled). Even if I overlay 1000 of them on top of each other, it still won't be very bright (and I'd like to just have a single Lumin object be that bright — perhaps with adjustable strength as the Lumin object would lead you to think is possible).

Current max brightness with a size of 400: http://puu.sh/aYoBv/d7f0d2f5bf.jpg
Oddity

Postby Oddity » Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:09 am

boshaw wrote:You adjust the ambient color of ILM

You mean this line?

amb = new Color(0, 0, 0, 0);

Thoroughly playing around with its values didn't have any effect.
Oddity

Postby boshaw » Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:54 am

Oddity wrote:
boshaw wrote:You adjust the ambient color of ILM

You mean this line?

amb = new Color(0, 0, 0, 0);

Thoroughly playing around with its values didn't have any effect.

That's because amb is set to the glob.amblight everytime MapView is drawn which changes based on what you send to the client through the server.

but as Nummy said you basically have to get the blending right so that the dark areas stay dark but the areas that should be lit up are brighter (aka: more transparent so that it doesn't block out the tiles/objs drawn below it)
boshaw

Postby Oddity » Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:02 am

boshaw wrote:but as Nummy said you basically have to get the blending right so that the dark areas stay dark but the areas that should be lit up are brighter (aka: more transparent so that it doesn't block out the tiles/objs drawn below it)

I'm not even sure where to start. I might have to learn a bunch of OpenGL and study loftarb's rendering pipeline unless somebody can help me out. :P
Oddity

Return to The Wizards' Tower