What if we made the client view orthogonal, just for fun?

Forum for alternative clients, mods & discussions on the same.

Moderator: Phades

What if we made the client view orthogonal, just for fun?

Postby ScrodumGod » Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:11 am

Since the haven client is opensource, I was thinking that we could make the view orthogonal, instead of isometric.

Although the isometric view looks better, an orthogonal view is more efficient by:

1. The direction that you walk actually goes with the map.
  2. Orthogonal tiles are smaller than isometric ones.
  3. When you want to look at the whole map by zooming out, the corners of the maps are far off the edge, you have you zoom out way more than necessary, and this causes a bit a of lag.

Sure, this is not very generic, but people could use it for performance reasons, like zooming out to the point where the objects load without zooming too much, and the player and objects are big enough to interact with.

I'm not a java programmer, but maybe, people who are could work together in github. But it really depends if the java developers here are willing to contribute, and this could be fun for the artists too, because we need new sprites.
We would probably do this from the ender client code.

Like, why not?
ScrodumGod

Re: What if we made the client view orthogonal, just for fun

Postby windmaker » Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:21 am

this forum is worst each day..
Image #swag
windmaker

Postby DDDsDD999 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:33 am

ScrodumGod wrote:Like, why not?

Because it would take way too much time and effort for no reason except fun? If you want to do it, go ahead; if you plan on others doing it, I expect you to be disappointed.
DDDsDD999

Postby Ninijutsu » Mon Sep 29, 2014 3:06 am

Who's the "we" here, bud?
Of another era.
Ninijutsu

Postby Xcom » Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:51 am

The problem is the arts. Making it non isometric is a few lines here and there and its done. But nothing will look even remotely normal till someone draws every single sprite. there are maybe 300 tile sprites that have to be redrawn and about 1000 total. No joke of a matter.
Xcom

Postby ScrodumGod » Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:05 pm

Xcom wrote:The problem is the arts. Making it non isometric is a few lines here and there and its done. But nothing will look even remotely normal till someone draws every single sprite. there are maybe 300 tile sprites that have to be redrawn and about 1000 total. No joke of a matter.

...Art is not an issue, like I could draw all the sprites if you want(but no one is going program it from the looks of it ;w;), and there are many, many more images that could be reused, like all the sprites, trees, poles, corpses/skeletons, pots, rocks, fireplaces, and all the images that could be dropped down, all the sprites for clothing, effects, etc.

Xcom, the tiles, houses, walls, container and other non circle objects needs to be redrawn (I'm not sure what you mean by 300 tile sprites, I can only think of like 10 tile types :/), honestly anyone can create a decent placeholder for it (which will be refined by someone who is better at art), and I honestly thought that you guys would complain more about programming this than art...
ScrodumGod

Postby Xcom » Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:26 pm

The amount of tiles in the game are insane, if you ever opened the tile folder for the haven res collection you will understand what Im talking about. Every tile have about 100 different images and there are 25 different types. Unless your talking about top down its going to be a whole lot more complex code making it tilted from one side too.

Maybe if the game was in development it would be an interesting test to recode the client on a different graphics engine. But news might hit next week that haven is being retired and everything gotta be scrapped. Its to much wasted effort starting on something big right now.
Xcom

Return to The Wizards' Tower