Brodgar!

Forum for discussing in game politics, village relations and matters of justice.

Re: Brodgar!

Postby zacty » Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:34 am

sounds about right ;)
i really need to find a good signature
zacty

Postby Yolan » Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:52 am

After talking it over with some people, I've finally reached a decision on the direction to go with for Brodgar in W7.

I have decided that I will be making a town without a surrounding wall after all. Instead, it will have a walled 'keep' which will hold the vidol, a bit of park land, and people's trade stalls. The keep can function as a place for people to port to in times of danger, especially when they don't have their own wall up yet. It can also help make trade with other villages safer.

Everything outside the keep will be the usual set up of private land and roads, allowing for easy expansion of the town and seamless movement from 'inside' to 'outside' the town.

Some differences with W6 Brodgar...

- Default plot size increased from 20x20 to 25x25
- Streets increased in size to 10 tiles in width, with main boulevards (north, east, south, west) at 20 tiles (including room in the middle for trees and authority objects)
- Town location will be near or on the corner intersection of 4 supergrids, allowing for long roads to head in each direction for lumber and traffic.
- Walled Keep (won't necessarily be placed in the dead center of town, but closer to water so that people can boat about).

Regarding security, it would be nice if we had a wall that surrounded the whole town, but functionally the protection given by a wall is also highly dependent on knowing that you can trust the people who are on the inside (i.e. that they wont let people in using scent abuse, or mine holes). Ultimately the town is defined by the fact that you are living right next to people you don't really know, and can't necessarily trust. Do you really want to be inside a wall with those people? Over time, it is hoped, you come to create bonds of community, and the bad apples are revealed and dealt with. People are killed. Others live. Some come. Some go. It's chaotic, and messy, but hopefully kind of fun. Maybe a walled keep plus some active fighters and nublet training programs will help reduce the death rate to a point where fun can be maximized.

Maybe a person who is skilled with combat could make some general suggestions for a kind of training program that could be given to Brodgar residents on how to stay safe. The program might have two components...

1. Precautions

- Try and use a secondary character for wood collection/walking about town etc.
- Don't go outside with your palisade key.
- Don't let strangers get too close, especially if they look strong.
- Don't idle outside of your house.
- Carry a few buckets of water.

2. After being aggroed by a raider

- How to create enough distance that you can port to the keep
(frogs? various escape techniques)

I think there are also options for hermit type people who want to be affiliated with Brodgar, but don't necessarily want to commit their main characters to living there. Let's say that you are normally a hermit, or live with only a few friends, and don't exactly want to take the long term risk of living in the town itself. Because the town has a -fairly- unrestricted authing policy, you can take advantage of this to have the best of both worlds. For example, start off the world in Brodgar with your friends, and together develop a 25x25 shared palisade plot. Help out a bit and get to know people, making some contacts. Then, once the vidol is up and you are authed, head out a bit from town (i.e. 10 minutes walk or more, not 2 minutes) and start up a regular little settlement. You keep your pali in town, and you are still authed to the village, but you can have a somewhat safer spot to live in (maybe with node access) and more space for farming and what not. When you have tradable goods, you can simply make a trade stall in Brodgar keep, where not-so-serious players/nublets can sell you blueberries/leather etc. in exchange for your nature or industry goods.
Last edited by Yolan on Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yolan

Postby painhertz » Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:53 am

I think they are probably removing teleportation. Plan accordingly.
"I shall PERSONALLY witness for you at the shiny, chrome gates of Valhalla!"
painhertz

Postby nabie » Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:58 am

painhertz wrote:I think they are probably removing teleportation. Plan accordingly.

Then there's no hopes. Imagine how painful it would be to mine, to hunt and to dig clay for bricks.
nabie

Postby Yolan » Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:38 am

painhertz wrote:I think they are probably removing teleportation. Plan accordingly.

Christ. I know I have advocated for that, but only in the case of a game redesign that includes stuff like new gate mechanics/town management etc.

Oh well. If teleportation is removed entirely then plans will have to be changed somewhat.
Yolan

Postby painhertz » Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:38 am

I'm just guessing......
"I shall PERSONALLY witness for you at the shiny, chrome gates of Valhalla!"
painhertz

Postby Yolan » Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:54 am

I took one last stroll around the town and what do I find? ;-)

Thanks devs.
Yolan

Postby Taxaso » Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:09 am

:/
Taxaso

Postby mvgulik » Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:51 am

Where did they put that thing ... ?
mvgulik

Postby Taxaso » Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:05 am