Brodgar! - Mankind's Last Hope

Forum for discussing in game politics, village relations and matters of justice.

Re: Brodgar! - Mankind's Last Hope

Postby NaoWhut » Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:53 pm

windmaker wrote:Why do you play?

Perhaps if you were to lose a character or watch the world end you would truly understand what you enjoy about this game.

fixed that for ya? i think?
ImageImage
NaoWhut

Postby Amanda44 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:56 pm

windmaker wrote:respond yourself...

or maybe need someone to kill you ,or loftar make a new world for discover that.

I don't understand what you are trying to say ...... I have been killed, I've been through 3 worlds now and I have been raided and had everything destroyed, I'm still here.
If playing were a waste of time, I wouldn't be.
The enjoyment for me comes from many aspects.
Maybe one day i'll get to the point where I don't think it's worth it anymore ...... but then, obviously, i'd stop.
Koru wrote:
It is like in Lord of the Flies, nobody controlls what is going on in the hearthlands, those weaker and with conscience are just fucked.
Animal lovers - Show us your pets! - viewtopic.php?f=40&t=44444#p577254
Amanda44

Postby windmaker » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:00 am

amanda...
then why you can't understand about the waste time?

one thing is : not understand why you waste your time, and other that you like to waste your time.

to naowut.
enjoy the game or not, they have nothing to do with it being a waste of time. mix two totally different concepts.... (imo)
Image #swag
windmaker

Postby Amanda44 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:07 am

windmaker wrote:amanda...
then why you can't understand about the waste time?

one thing is : not understand why you waste your time, and other that you like to waste your time.

No, it's because I don't see it as a waste of time. I enjoy the game, I get satisfaction from it and I enjoy the creativity - therefore, to me, it's not a waste of my time.
It's far more preferable to me than wasting my time watching mindless tv or doing housework, lol, that last one is a joke, I do do housework, normaly when the server crashes. :D
Koru wrote:
It is like in Lord of the Flies, nobody controlls what is going on in the hearthlands, those weaker and with conscience are just fucked.
Amanda44

Postby windmaker » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:12 am

i do it more easy for you...
imagine what you can make with your time if you not play hnh ...

...btw I love waste my time in the game.. but not playing exactly ;)
Image #swag
windmaker

Postby Amanda44 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:23 am

windmaker wrote:i do it more easy for you...
imagine what you can make with your time if you not play hnh ...

...btw I love waste my time in the game.. but not playing exactly ;)

You don't understand, I do have a very active life, I work long hrs, travel a lot, I have many activities I do socialy and many hobbies other than hnh, I enjoy all of them but hnh is probably one of the most relaxing, it's time when I can be apart from the real world, time to gather my thoughts and time for a bit of peace and quiet, lol, one of the reasons I hermit.

Although I visit the forum most days, ppl i'm kinned to will tell you i'm not in game everyday. Though I do try to log on for curios if I can. The last lot of steel I made reset 3 times! :)
Koru wrote:
Amanda44

Postby Snackish » Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:22 am

I've resigned as Chief, I'm just making this public as people have been pming me recently.
ImageImageLet's fight, like gentlemen.
Snackish

Postby windmaker » Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:21 am

Amanda..
i dont care if you have or not a active life, i only say "play is a waste time" not matter if your enjoy or not, or if you dedicated 24/7 or 5 min daily... not is productive, just that.. dont make a stupid drama for this..
Image #swag
windmaker

Postby Yolan » Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:34 am

First, a thanks to Snacky for the time we spent playing together. We had a lot of fun.

Now I just want to put forward my opinion on what is the biggest weakness with a Brodgar style city that I have observed.

The problem is not security, it is the isolation of the player character.

It all comes back to this. I know a lot of people who experienced the heavy raiding that happened in W6 Brodgar might think that is what is going on again in W7, but honestly, it hasnt been that big of a deal. W7 Brodgar security is better because we have a keep, we have crossroads, we mildly restrict people joining the town to people who own plots, and we dont give away signposts. Most people who have dropped off havent done so because of getting killed in W7. In actual fact, we don't have 100 abandoned plots and 10 active ones because of raiders. We have 100 abandoned plots because people hit a wall right about when they get their house and palisade up.

The problem is that the player gets a house, gets a palisade, and then asks... now what? If you are clever, you might attempt to specialize into one area, use a bit of initiative, and run some kind of business using trade stalls in the keep. I think the keep definitely has helped out in that regard. But the fact remains that you are mostly tinkering around in your own small little plot like a hermit, without a larger goal (strength, wealth) that you might get from a more cohesive group.

Brodgar was the most fun during the first few weeks. Finding a location. Marking out streets. Recruiting new people. Getting an idol. The early game has a lot of things to do, but also it is quite communal. Once you have a developed character, what do you do? You log in, farm for twenty minutes, refresh your curios, log off. A certain type of person who is quite fine with hermit life can handle it. Most people get bored. That's the problem.

So....?

Well, I think there has been some interesting developments. The keep is one. Using a village skype chat was another. Even now we still have an active bunch of people doing things despite the town being declared "dead" a month ago or something. But honestly, I think I have learned that the individual walled plot "do everything yourself" design just wont work with the game the way it is now.

The future?

IF there was a reason to make another Brodgar, for example, a world reset, I would move towards the following...

1) Large town wall. Yes. Unfortunately.
2) Policy of being permanently open to immigration. Restriction being you spawn a new character in the town, or you have character references if it is a preexisting main character.
3) People keep their individual plots, but they are kept at a much smaller size of 10x10. Room for a wall and a house, and the smallest of gardens.
4) Have some crafting and low-q farming zones set up that are open for anybody to use, and high quality fields and tree farms in restricted areas for people who have been around a while and have the appropriate farming skills.
5) Put energy right from the start into having a gathering place in-game where people gravitate to eat and talk instead of staying in their homes. This is likely to lead to more fun and the development of a community consciousness.
Yolan

Postby ramones » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:16 am

1. walls walls walls
2. good CR system allowing people to port to places they need to and not use they keyalts (doh!)
3. public things like cooking area (48 ovens for such big place), smelting area (12-24 smelters), crafting area (curios, other)
4. LS simply needs to have access to people plots, it should be a rule that a key needs to be copied and given to trusted LS (this can be neglated if there are outside walls, since then you can freely ram the plot when needed due to innactivity or what not)
5. active, very active leadership who would make it happen for everyone that number 3 would be running smoothly, organise wall building, help providing people needed materials for uses etc.
6. active people who would devote their chars to crafting abilities so everyone could rent/buy their services and quality would be up (i remember someone offering me q15 doughs like 2 month into the world...)
W8 - Hermitage
W7 - Emerald City
W6 - Gomorrah
W5 - Pandemonium
W4 - Angkor
W3 - Angkor
ramones

PreviousNext

Return to In Congress Assembled