Global Newbie Network (GNN)

Forum for discussing in game politics, village relations and matters of justice.

Re: Global Newbie Network (GNN)

Postby Amanda44 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:40 am

I get a lot of pm's from new players asking for advice and help, the two most common things they say to me is that the forums are hostile and they are afraid to post, the other, that I seem approachable and willing to help.

I fully understand this, I had played awhile before ever posting for exactly the same reasons and then when I did finally pluck up courage and post for the first time I made a mistake, was scolded and made to feel silly. I now look back and cringe myself at some of the questions I asked that seem so obvious in hindsight, so I get it's frustrating to established players, but we were all new once and shouldn't forget that.

Even if kakarot does want the glory - though if he's using an alt account that doesn't really make any sense, lol - what does that matter so long as he's helping people and new players can see a thread where they can ask for help and another person who is approachable and willing to help. I wish there were more threads like this to encourage new players into the community and the game.

I actually agree with Windmaker, if you can brag about kills, then you can brag about good deeds - not that I think thats what Kakarot is doing mind.

I'd also like to say that the majority of the pm's I get from new players are also extremely apologetic for having bothered me, seriously, is that how we want to come accross as a community?! If everytime anyone does try to send out a msg of help for new players they are made to feel bad about it how is that ever going to change?

Good luck Kakarot, don't give up and good job!
Koru wrote:
It is like in Lord of the Flies, nobody controlls what is going on in the hearthlands, those weaker and with conscience are just fucked.
Animal lovers - Show us your pets! - viewtopic.php?f=40&t=44444#p577254
Amanda44

Postby kakarot » Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:41 pm

it does not really matter what is said about me or my group, in this thread. If the PM's and or posts, requesting help/aid still come in then we will help. Opinions will always be formed and players always judged, I will not try to force an opinion of me or my group onto you, but I am trying to provide a silver lining to all those that are less fortunate then me and the large factions to those who are on the receiving end of their gluttony/rage... Not only this, it gives us a sense of purpose. After all, everyone needs a goal, ours just happens to be a helpful one.

@Simba, if you have truely changed your mind, no problem... but if you do want a spot in our humble little village, perhaps you could PM me and discuss the situation further.
Official Representitive of the GNN (Global Newbie Network)
kakarot

Postby Tonkyhonk » Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:42 pm

im usually against hiding identities, however, for some strange reason, we all know "heroes" never reveal their true identities. 8-)
Tonkyhonk

Postby kakarot » Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:12 am

Due to all the large requests for wrought and steel, it seems we will need to purchase some more. If you are mass steel/wrought producers, if you could PM me for trade, I'm happy to buy steel for 20pts and wrought for 10pts (wall grade of course)
Official Representitive of the GNN (Global Newbie Network)
kakarot

Postby BangPow » Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:41 pm

Wow you guys are doing a really great thing... Threads like this make people want to keep playing.... Great job guys!
Before enlightenment - chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment - chop wood, carry water. ~Zen Buddhist Proverb
BangPow

Postby lacucaracha » Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:58 pm

That is really nice of you. How can i get one newbie kit?
lacucaracha

Postby Emina » Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:02 pm

meh ramones i think your beeing a bit harsh here. Yea im not a big fan of bragging to much myself but i have had to get used to it on these forums but this wasnt that bad. And really, even if he did want some attention why would it not be ok to bragg a little about doing good deeds when it seems to be totally ok do all out bragging about bad deeds?

Anyway i do belive its good to make it public, so the noobs kan see where to turn to. at their own risk. but sometimes a situation makes it worth taking that risk when you have no where else to turn to.

However i would advice the OP to avoid putting up pics around the aria of people you are trying to help. beacuse it can put them in danger instead and draw bad attention to them. You dont know who lives near by that recognizes small things in your pics and is in for the luls and hoping to get some attention from messing with them here.

Another Advice is dont give new players "to" much or "to" good stuff straight away, due to my personal experience helping new players a loong time ago in world 3 they do tend to get boored and quit faster if you give them to much. You can give them a few basic things and help a little with security but most of all you can give them your experience and advice in how to do it them selves rather then giving them everything will keep them going a lot loonger and might make them stick around is what i found most effective.

in this world i am one of them noobs since i started late :) hehe, quite a different experience but atleast i know somewhat what im doing so im not in any real dire need of help, but who knows if i will need it at some point.

Anyway keep up the good work.
Emina

Postby Lord_of_War » Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:55 pm

karakot cares and that's all that matters. As for spoiling people I don't think he's really giving them enough.
One death is a tragedy; one million is a statistic. -- Joseph Stalin #1 Forum troll You mad bro?
"My soul is terrifying" "Some men just want to watch the world burn"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5f2M9t_tEhQ
Lord_of_War

Postby ramones » Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:35 am

Emina, there is a diference between noobs who want to survive and noobs who usually just don't care, play on their own and well "try" to enjoy. Those that want to survive and are looking longterm, will find help if its offered on forums or not. There are so many people helping out newbies, not sure if you're aware of that, many of them even being hardcore raiders.

I know that for some its hard to get a good start or find a good area to settle in, but I still think that threads like this don't help newbies in first place but promote their own. If thats bad or good, everyone can judge by themselves :)
W8 - Hermitage
W7 - Emerald City
W6 - Gomorrah
W5 - Pandemonium
W4 - Angkor
W3 - Angkor
ramones

Postby Robben_DuMarsch » Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:46 pm

I was a complete noob when an anonymous member of the GNN (before there was a GNN) helped me become a capable player. I wouldn't be here in the same state I am without the guidance I was provided - This isn't for self-promotion, because this is being done anonymously.
Robben_DuMarsch

PreviousNext

Return to In Congress Assembled