Brodgar! - Mankind's Last Hope

Forum for discussing in game politics, village relations and matters of justice.

Brodgar! - Mankind's Last Hope

Postby Yolan » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:52 am

http://youtu.be/N7NjE3UXuP8

NOTE: If you wish to join the town, please don't PM me. The town is always open to new immigrants. Just make a new character at...

BrodgarOne
BrodgarTwo
BrodgarThree

Please read up about the town before immigrating at : viewtopic.php?f=36&t=31376

Note, personal plots must be placed according to the city plan. We strictly enforce 25x25 tile size also.

ORIGINAL POST

Welcome to World 7 everyone.

As with World 6 (and many of the previous worlds), I will be organising the founding of Brodgar city. W6 was more than I had hoped for, with more buildings/pclaims than possibly any other town in the game world (over one hundred), but let's see if we can't make an even better one this time. If you are interested in helping out, please PM me. There is also an IRC chat room at haven-Brodgar. Once the palisade wall for the keep is up and finished, I will establish spawning points with publicly avaliable hearth secrets.

For those of you who don't know, the basic idea behind Brodgar is to find a way for a settlement to grow beyond the restraints found in a typically organised village with a clear distinction between who is in and who is out.

A few key points...

1. Brodgar will have no outer wall.
2. Everybody has their own plot to live in of 25x25 tiles (assigned when asked).
3. Immigration is always open to anybody regardless of experience or how often they can play (no hard limit to expansion), although LS/Chief should exercise some control to minimize the number of assholes.
4. There are few shared valuable resources, but instead the aim is to promote people who know eachother helping eachother out, and for trading to take place.

In this Brodgar, World 7, we will be experimenting with a somewhat new design which includes a keep for housing an idol, village trade stalls, and some parkland. I am hoping that this also function as a bolt hole in the case of raids, and to promote people coming in to trade from other villages using the typical authing method. Everything outside the keep will be the usual set up of private land and roads, allowing for easy expansion of the town and seamless movement from 'inside' to 'outside' the town.

Some differences with W6 Brodgar...

- Default plot size increased from 20x20 to 25x25
- Streets increased in size to 10 tiles in width, with main boulevards (north, east, south, west) at 20 tiles (including room in the middle for trees and authority objects)
- Town location will be near or on the corner intersection of 4 supergrids, allowing for long roads to head in each direction for lumber and traffic.
- Walled Keep (won't necessarily be placed in the dead center of town, but closer to water so that people can boat about).

Here is an initial plan for the town design (not showing river location).

http://puu.sh/36CS3.jpg

A town without walls is dangerous. If you do immigrate to Brodgar, please be aware that we -will- be a target for raiders. Consider taking precautions if you will live there with your main character. For example:

- Claim your stuff.
- Build yourself a palisade asap.
- Use a secondary character for wood collection/walking about town etc.
- Don't go outside with your palisade key.
- Don't let strangers get too close, especially if they look strong.
- Don't idle outside of your house.
- Carry a few buckets of water for running away.

2. After being aggroed by a raider

- Create enough distance that you can port to the keep (use escape techniques - placing leanto build signs etc.)

I think there are also options for hermit type people who want to be affiliated with Brodgar, but don't necessarily want to commit their main characters to living there. Let's say that you are normally a hermit, or live with only a few friends, and don't exactly want to take the long term risk of living in the town itself. Because the town has a -fairly- unrestricted authing policy, you can take advantage of this to have the best of both worlds. For example, start off the world in Brodgar with your friends, and together develop a 25x25 shared palisade plot. Help out a bit and get to know people, making some contacts. Then, once the vidol is up and you are authed, head out a bit from town (i.e. 10 minutes walk or more, not 2 minutes) and start up a regular little settlement. You keep your pali in town, and you are still authed to the village, but you can have a somewhat safer spot to live in (maybe with node access) and more space for farming and what not. When you have tradable goods, you can simply make a trade stall in Brodgar keep, where not-so- serious players/nublets can sell you blueberries/leather etc. in exchange for your nature or industry goods.
Last edited by Yolan on Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:50 pm, edited 35 times in total.
Yolan

Re: The Founding of Brodgar

Postby popfor » Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:01 am

Shouldn't this be in D&T?
Image Image
my avatar is stolen without permission
#badboysclub
popfor

Location: E̹̙̺̬̖͈̘̭̙̘̔̈́̍͆͌̋̊̈́̀̎d̡̨̺̠̠̜̲̹͕̯̑̀͂͂̈̇̿̏͝͝g̨̙̻̼͎͖̱͔̗͙̐̅̇͗̈́̔͛̌̌͠ŷ͔̼͓̺̮̪̫̙̬̐͊̀́̊͆͝͝͝ͅ

Postby borka » Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:01 am

politics...
borka

Postby Yolan » Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:50 am

popfor wrote:Shouldn't this be in D&T?

I'll open a recruitment thread once the we have the location found and some basic plots outlined. This thread will be used for discussion about the town.
Yolan

Postby Sardte » Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:12 am

Good luck don't suck
Sardte

Postby Yolan » Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:59 am

Location has been found. We are beginning work on laying out the city.

PM me if you want to help out.
Yolan

Postby Jackard » Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:31 am

Best of luck.
Jackard

Postby ramones » Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:49 am

Good luck and I'm glad you wont have any griefers too quick :)
W8 - Hermitage
W7 - Emerald City
W6 - Gomorrah
W5 - Pandemonium
W4 - Angkor
W3 - Angkor
ramones

Postby RubyRed » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:21 pm

I am planning on coming to live there by traviling there when I am ready to travel (or feel I am). Shoot me a PM so I can maby see what I can nab on my way over when its time. Plus knowing wear to go will help lol.
RubyRed

Postby Yolan » Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:06 pm

RubyRed wrote:I am planning on coming to live there by traviling there when I am ready to travel (or feel I am). Shoot me a PM so I can maby see what I can nab on my way over when its time. Plus knowing wear to go will help lol.

Welcome aboard!
Yolan

Next

Return to In Congress Assembled