Lorddstead Sacked: Justice Sought

Forum for discussing in game politics, village relations and matters of justice.

Lorddstead Sacked: Justice Sought

Postby maloncanth » Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:31 pm

I'm reporting here that our small hamlet of Lordsstead was raided moments ago by a solitary raider and the spirits of its fallen seek justice from beyond the grave. Hopefully, making the plea here, even if most people laugh at it, will inspire one amongst the many to help bring civility back to the land.

Lorddstead has existed for only about four or five days and was founded mostly by two hearthlings who settled after seeing a vision on the heavenly tubes. We both read the wiki and the Sevenless guide and felt we took every reasonable precaution - we built back from the river, beelined for the palisade tech and built it all in one go, sealed the vulnerable posts and generally tried to maintain good discipline with the key (which is why we still have it and why I suppose "raided" is probably a better term than "sacked" come to think of it...). The raider ambushed us while the palisade was open for logistics - we were both online at the time but had no way to defend ourselves.

The perpetrator could not be recognized in the time we had to respond (which was no time at all, obviously). He wore a bear hat is about all we could see. I saw some damage numbers and they were around 90-130. We were unarmored near starting characters with all stats well below 20. I tried to make to make an alt (called Key Alt more or less) to lure him off but he could not be dissuaded from slowly murdering the fallen.

The murderer did not say anything nor took anything, simply killed us, then chased the false alt upon which he was promptly locked back out of the palisade by the real key alt having taken smelly clothes and four rabbits for his trouble. We have been falling a strict policy of isolation and had not previously encountered any actual live players before this. We took care to avoid touching anything that wasn't ours, including obviously abandoned objects out in the wild and had crime turned off at all times so as far as we understand the crime system, we did not do anything to provoke the hostility nor were warned or otherwise informed by the attacker of any such.

Our coordinates on the map were roughly (-50,4): http://sabinati.com/HavenMap/

The sleepers are partners who didn't wind up liking Haven & Hearth. They weren't killed either.

We've decided even though materially we kept almost everything, that the location is no longer secure and are restarting elsewhere. My key alt will shortly open the gates and drown herself and then I'll release claim. Anyone who comes to investigate can help themselves to what they like (though there isn't anything really - our most valuable object is literally a spider). Hopefully, someone can bring the murderer to justice.
maloncanth

Re: Lorddstead Sacked: Justice Sought

Postby Phaen » Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:44 pm

Well I have no interest in fighting for justice or whatever but I'm glad you're not giving up! Keep trying to survive =)

I'm happy to see someone new around the forums that can speak in full sentences :roll:

When you link the sabinati.com map, you should copy the url on the page itself http://sabinati.com/HavenMap/?x=-50.57&y=4.07&zoom=9
Phaen

Postby maloncanth » Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:13 pm

I'll certainly keep trying though I don't know if I have any friends that will. I'm currently assuming that it wasn't a coincidence and trying to look at what we might have done that could have indicated we were active in the area. I mean even my partner was getting annoyed because I was obsessively removing stumps to obscure evidence of logging. Maybe we were just spotted doing other things without us noticing but I keep the Ender client zoomed all the way out most of the time.
maloncanth

Postby Snk » Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:05 pm

A thing i though worth pointing out is, by looking at minimap of your character, if you can see river then obviously outline and structures of your settlement can be seen from a river. It looks most likely to me that someone beeing a general ass-hat traveling through river saw a settlement he hadn't raided before and decided to check it out, unluckily for you when you had your gate open. From safety point of view, you built too close to that river.
Snk

Postby jordancoles » Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:10 pm

Building "off a river" means when you're in a boat on the river, your base cannot be seen anywhere on the minimap. Even when pressing the boat up against the shore. Hell, even if you get out of the boat and run a screen in to forage or w/e
Duhhrail wrote:No matter how fast you think you can beat your meat, Jordancoles lies in the shadows and waits to attack his defenseless prey. (tl;dr) Don't afk and jack off. :lol:

Check out my pro-tips thread
Image Image Image
jordancoles

Postby Kaios » Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:52 pm

Phaen wrote:I'm happy to see someone new around the forums that can speak in full sentences :roll:

hey wat u mean
Kaios

Postby Seldon » Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:33 pm

Just take solace in the fact that your deaths weren't entirely in vain.
Human behavior is economic behavior. The particulars may vary, but competition for limited resources remains a constant. Need as well as greed have followed us to the stars, and the rewards of wealth still await those wise enough to recognize this deep thrumming of our common pulse. —CEO Nwabudike Morgan, "The Centauri Monopoly"
Seldon

Postby Sevenless » Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:18 am

We all learn the hard way about safety habits, even when we take every seemingly reasonable precaution. You reacted very well to the situation and mimized your losses as much as you could. Good job and keep trucking. Good luck if someone wants to wipe out said noob killer, but there's no guarentee.

Welcome to the hearthlands :)
Lucky: haven is so quirky
Lucky: can be so ugly, can be so heartwarming
Sevenless: it is life

The Art of Herding
W15 Casting Rod Cheatsheet
Explanation of the logic behind the cooking system
Sevenless

Postby Grog » Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:03 am

Welcome to Haven and Hearth!

This is a nice story to read and it reminds of many stories of new players, yet with a slightly better end and very well written.
Im glad you were able to at least secure your belongings!
I can assure you: You did nothing "wrong" in the case of the crime system.
But you are never a 100% safe in this game and all securing systems are just for reducing the chance to get hit. Considering you did even live behind a thiket it seems you have some bad neighbour.
Anyway Jordancoles is somewhat right, living away from the river means some bigger distance. The map shown by you indicates the rather safe zones - they are the white and (somewhat) undiscovered ones.

The Hearthlands are unforgiving and some people hat to travel several hours to get in safer areas, yet there is always hope on some peaceful times.
Stay safe!
Favourite thread: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3388
Grog

Postby Tonkyhonk » Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:17 am

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7116
this has always been my bible since world 3. some may be outdated, but you should still take a look.
(i cannot say i always followed everything it said, but still.)

good luck onto your next journey!
Tonkyhonk

Next

Return to In Congress Assembled