Info for Village recruiters.

Company of Dwarves seeking thief for dangerous mission. Find a group or village to play with here.

Info for Village recruiters.

Postby joojoo1975 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:47 am

Greets all

I am seeing a lot of villages experience the horrors or "new villager griefer", that new guy you just invited to your village who now just stole all your pearls and put all that HQ straw into his mansion sorta stuff. So I would like to give a few tips on how to minimize these bad events.

so before i begin this mountain of text, take a look at Avu's post. It's Very Helpful! viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7116

A. Get to know of your new villager

#1. Postcount counts! Take a look to the right at my name and avatar, and look below it, do ya see the Posts: 825 That's your first indicator on if this is a dedicated player or some peep's Alt or random new guy. now the postcount doesnt mean he's a good player or whatnot, but the more posts he/she has, the better you have with rule #2.

#2. Research the character. Now once again take a look to the right at my username joojoo1975 now left click on the name and you'll be taken to another screen which gives more stats about me. now look roughly to the middle right and you should see search user's posts this may take a while but skim through a bit of the user's posts and see what kinda person he/she is via the posts they leave. you can also see what other people say about them, and also descide for yourself if you agree with this poster or with those who are disagreeing with said poster.

now #1 and #2 are not a sure thing, but it will help you have a beter picture of who your possibly getting.

B. Talk to your new villager

#1 Voice servers anyone? If you do not have it, I would suggst you get Skype at the very least and lern how to use it. http://www.skype.com/intl/en-us/home with this Free tool you'll be able to talk or text with prospective villagers. You get a chance to see if the prospect knows what he's talking about in your PM's as well you can begin to get a "gut" feeling about him. I prefer to talk to people rather than text. but that's my choice. they say a picture is worth a thousand words, well to be able to talk to your teammates could mean life or death. other voice programs are Mumble, TeamSpeak and Ventrilio

#2 Keep them PM's a coming it is ill advisable to accept a new villager on his entry post. take some time to get a PM conversation a going to see if how this person believes will fit in with how your village functions. What is his priorities pertaining to Curios?(does he believe that a character should always have the max amount of curios on his study board at all times? Does Village upgrades and repairs get first priority when dealing with crafted curio Mats?) how does he feel about Black skills and why! these are just a few things to ask the prospective villager.

C. Village Damage Control.

The "bad seed" will get in No matter how much you prep, there is no Failsafe guarantee to not get these Ass hats. but you can do some preventative maintance to ensure that they can't rape you silly.

#1 make a recruit section in your village that is part of the village but it does not have access to the village supplies or permanent fixtures(ovens, kilns etc). in this section you should have a CR that leads out of the village and a house or 3(with basements if your able) with communal beds and other amenities that a new player will need(like wine and glasses. basic low Q tools, materials so they can make thier HF(with a strict policy that they are not put outside) as well as beginning(Int, Perc, Str) low to mid Q foods and such) also during Step A or B they are told that there is a probation period that they will live in the Recruit area and do menial tasks(clear cutting and log transport. Boulder removal etc etc) until they earn the right to become a full villager.

#2 Lets take a walk shall we. Have your combat characters check in on your recruits from time to time. talk to them and see how they feel about your village, as well as re-supply thier amenities. also make sure they are constantly supplied with low to mid Q Curios. you want your recruits progressing and feeling good. so make sure they have enough crafted and foraged Curios on hand. during these walk throughs check to see if anyone is Hoarding stuff(a common no no)

#3 Gated Community The village idol should have a wall sealing it in with 2 doors, one leading to the recruit center and one leading to the rest of the village. this way, incase your new villagers do hearth to village, they have no where to go but to thier hearthfire. Of course you should have a Key Alt who has the keys. and the only time you should open the door(s) is when the recruit has passed the probation period or you are bringing an experienced player from abroad(who also lives in the recruit center till he can be trusted). and there should be Fan fare on this Joyous occasion. the Fan fare being all your combat members be online and there in Full gear at the door to the Village idol.

With these simple steps your gonna make it harder for the Ass Hats to get in, while at the same time giving a safe, secure place for your recruits to thrive.

Hope this helps!
To Protect The Helpless From The Heartless
joojoo1975

Re: Info for Village recruiters.

Postby Mcporkins » Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:16 am

this is really sound advice, but may i interject with some piece of my own?

1.) if your village is small with limited resources, store your valuables secretly on an alt. you should never leave anything you want pinched in plain sight.

2.) always watch and interact with your recruits. from many people and past experiences i have seen and heard, the less face time you have with the recruits the more likely they would fall prey to the chance of turning bad.

but like joojoo said, its mostly common sense. a buddy of mine said its nice to trust, until your lying dead and your village is in ruins.
"To be a man you must have honor, honor and a penis!" -shin chan-

May God shine his light on our path forever.

Beware when fighting monsters, that you do not become one yourself. Stare long into the abyss and the abyss will stare long into you.
Mcporkins

Postby furgarr » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:48 pm

i would like to make some add to jojo, ive seen it happens new guys comes in and steals a lot of stuff, so leader kick all the noobs who where in from last week. So here is my advice.
1. dont give your stats info. that too important give your ennemis if you can be kill
2. dont give how many ppl are good in killing ( as in your man power in defending your town)
3.be alert check your noobs even if you have to make a noob your self and play whit time 2 hrs per day. they dont know its you and its okay.
4. check there name and Question. if the guy name is extraman or thethief be a bit more alert... and if the guy ask you where is your mine what is your level what can you harvest there surley not noobs. ( im a noob and i dotn even know whats in a mine expect what wiki tells me)
5.keep low Q stuff available if you notice that they are being rob manage a trap to get your thief.

and enjoye the game :) im still an hermit but im begining to be good at it :p LOL
furgarr

Postby jaybo777 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:06 am

when I was recruited to winterfell I had to go build up 2 other villages with other newbies with one or 2 main winterfell members in the mix as a test. Those who played enough and seemed trustworthy went to the 2nd village , and those that passed the 2nd village made it to winterfell. pretty safe that way.
jaybo777

Postby Kurundo » Wed May 30, 2012 1:27 pm

Also if you can, it is always great if you can flat out avoid doing recruitment on the forums. I was always a fan of watching noobs start up around my villages and if things go well for them start trade relations, and if those go well then invite them to join your ranks. I'd also mention trying to stick to friends you know and trust and have been talking with for a while but not all of us have weaved those kind of connections yet.
Kurundo

Return to Dwarves & Thieves