Game Development: Colorful Crucible

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Colorful Crucible

Postby loftar » Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:55 pm

I can't say I've had a lot of direct experience, but I've always been told to stay well clear of moose since they are supposed to be quite aggressive. Perhaps that refers specifically to their fall rut, but that isn't something I've been explicitly told.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby abt79 » Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:57 pm

jorb wrote:
They are less aggressive than boars, fwiw.

That doesn't mean much to us players since we don't really know how animal aggression works in general. Does the chance for an animal to attack roll every time you come within x distance away from it? Once every x seconds? Only once per animal, or per player, both?

Practically speaking, players only care if an animal is aggressive or isn't, giving a wide berth to any aggressive animals and not taking any such caution for non-aggressive ones.
Last edited by abt79 on Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
abt79

Postby Robertzon » Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:57 pm

as a hunter IRL I can confirm that moose charge you when threatened
Robertzon

Postby TheTylerLee » Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:07 pm

Soukuw wrote:Literally told my brother this morning I wasn't going near a moose because I don't trust like that. "Oh no they don't aggro"

Clearly a good decision.

Found my first moose last night, I knew to stay away from it. Thing is, moose have been docile in this game all up until now... And it's an easy change to overlook.. I expect many people will learn of this new update in person
Discord: XiliX#2791
TheTylerLee

Postby Resture » Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:15 pm

jorb wrote:[*] You can now bury whole bodies, i.e. you need not wait for them to skeletize before burial.

As someone who had to wait the 24 hours before leaving my walls after dying because I didn't want to die a second time. Thank you for this change!
Resture

Postby jock » Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:30 pm

[*] Added variable materials to "Crucible". The Crucible can now burn both coal and ordinary fuel (e.g. wood), but some processes may require coal. We had not intended to make nuggets strictly dependent on coal.

[*] "Plumb-Bob" now requires lead.
[*] "Wishbone" no longer counts as Fine Bone.

[*] Moose can aggro and are occasionally lethal.

LoL how to add more confusion and less access to players :D

For NO reason. nice troll.

10/10 dev
jock

Postby MagicManICT » Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:37 pm

loftar wrote:I can't say I've had a lot of direct experience, but I've always been told to stay well clear of moose since they are supposed to be quite aggressive. Perhaps that refers specifically to their fall rut, but that isn't something I've been explicitly told.

Even whitetail bucks can become very aggressive during the fall rut, and they're the little, cute ones (aka Bambi).
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby Sevenless » Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:46 pm

abt79 wrote:
jorb wrote:
They are less aggressive than boars, fwiw.

That doesn't mean much to us players since we don't really know how animal aggression works in general. Does the chance for an animal to attack roll every time you come within x distance away from it? Once every x seconds? Only once per animal, or per player, both?

Practically speaking, players only care if an animal is aggressive or isn't, giving a wide berth to any aggressive animals and not taking any such caution for non-aggressive ones.

Movement adjusted, proximity based, time based.

It's not hard to experiment with it when you're not scared of a boar aggroing because you can jog away from it if it attacks.
Lucky: haven is so quirky
Lucky: can be so ugly, can be so heartwarming
Sevenless: it is life

The Art of Herding
W15 Casting Rod Cheatsheet
Explanation of the logic behind the cooking system
Sevenless

Postby RainbowMoostache » Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:37 am

Moose being able to aggro is fine given the way they behave IRL, but the idea of them outright being able to kill you is maybe a bit too much at this stage. There's already plenty of mobs that do, and it will take a good amount of time to get used to an additional animal to veer away from on walks, especially with new people/people who don't read the forums who are consistently behind on what's happening with the game.

Also, if wishbone isn't going to count as a 'fine bone' anymore, then please reconsider buffing its values as a curio to offbalance the change.
RainbowMoostache

Postby Harthel » Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:46 am

The "Pitbaked Goods" recipes now take significantly longer to turn to ash, because they always did.

About 30% of the pitbaked goods I make turn to ash, so this is great news
Harthel

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements