Game Development: Bring out yer Dead

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Bring out yer Dead

Postby dafels » Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:54 pm

einher is lame
but nice work at the other death mechanic
dafels

Postby NOOBY93 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:16 pm

dafels wrote:einher is lame
but nice work at the other death mechanic

+ and +
Jalpha wrote:I believe in my interpretation of things.
NOOBY93

Postby GamingRAM » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:08 pm

MagicManICT wrote:
GamingRAM wrote:So....
The base % retained is reduced from 30% to 15%, but you can make sacrifices to gain back points?

Be glad to write up the math for you if you're interested. It's pretty simple algebra. Most people just aren't familiar with the easy way to do this problem.

If it's in your convenience I would appreciate that. Would be useful for a project I'm working on.
World 12: Quit at some point.
World 11: Community Fair Worker
World 10: Co-Founder of the Northern Kingdom, Resident of Emerald City, Founder and Mayor of the Hole of Glory, RamZ's Art Emporium at CF, Member of the CFL Rams.
World 9: Founder of SnoopVille, Resident of Emerald City
World 7: Hermit and Neighbor to a dead Korean
GamingRAM

Postby MagicManICT » Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:08 pm

GamingRAM wrote:
MagicManICT wrote:
GamingRAM wrote:So....
The base % retained is reduced from 30% to 15%, but you can make sacrifices to gain back points?

Be glad to write up the math for you if you're interested. It's pretty simple algebra. Most people just aren't familiar with the easy way to do this problem.

If it's in your convenience I would appreciate that. Would be useful for a project I'm working on.

Anyone interested in further reading, it's called "summation" or "sigma notation." It's a means of simplifying adding a series of numbers. When it's a regular pattern, such as 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + ... + x = ?, it can be simplified to x * ( x + 1 ) / 2

For Haven skills, the LP cost of going from 1 to a number x is: x * ( x + 1 ) * 50 - 100
It's * 100 as that's the base multiple you work with. I simplified out the 100 LP cost multiplier and the division by 2. You don't need to pay the first 100 LPs to get a value of 1. Use this to calculate how many LP you spent in a skill and then by the % you get back for your burial (or lack of) on inheriting. You can then solve for x when you know the number of LP you're getting back.

For calculating the amount you'd have lost under the old system, it would have been the difference between what your total skill cost was (x1) and what it is now (x2) or : ( x1 * (x1 + 1) * 50 - x2 * (x2 + 1) * 50
After doing the math, you'd see the returns were actually less than what it was changed to. With the exception of State Funerals, which are less than now.

An example I have 100 UA, that means I spent 503900 LP to get to there. I die. I inherit without being able to bury my body. I get 75585 LP back towards my skill, or 38 UA. (It's a bit shy of another point.. not sure if that remainder is saved or dropped or what.)
Last edited by MagicManICT on Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: dropped a 0 in my first calculation; fixed
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby GamingRAM » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:06 pm

MagicManICT wrote:
Anyone interested in further reading, it's called "summation" or "sigma notation." It's a means of simplifying adding a series of numbers. When it's a regular pattern, such as 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + ... + x = ?, it can be simplified to x * ( x + 1 ) / 2

For Haven skills, the LP cost of going from 1 to a number x is: x * ( x + 1 ) * 50 - 100
It's * 100 as that's the base multiple you work with. I simplified out the 100 LP cost multiplier and the division by 2. You don't need to pay the first 100 LPs to get a value of 1. Use this to calculate how many LP you spent in a skill and then by the % you get back for your burial (or lack of) on inheriting. You can then solve for x when you know the number of LP you're getting back.

For calculating the amount you'd have lost under the old system, it would have been the difference between what your total skill cost was (x1) and what it is now (x2) or : ( x1 * (x1 + 1) * 50 - x2 * (x2 + 1) * 50
After doing the math, you'd see the returns were actually less than what it was changed to. With the exception of State Funerals, which are less than now.

An example I have 100 UA, that means I spent 50400 LP to get to there. I die. I inherit without being able to bury my body. I get 7560 LP back towards my skill, or 11 UA. (It's 140 LP shy of another point.. not sure if that remainder is saved or dropped or what.)

Thanks!
World 12: Quit at some point.
World 11: Community Fair Worker
World 10: Co-Founder of the Northern Kingdom, Resident of Emerald City, Founder and Mayor of the Hole of Glory, RamZ's Art Emporium at CF, Member of the CFL Rams.
World 9: Founder of SnoopVille, Resident of Emerald City
World 7: Hermit and Neighbor to a dead Korean
GamingRAM

Postby MagicManICT » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:08 am

A thought occurs to me now that someone asked about Nidbanes in HDI... How does Einherjer Aspect affect the nidbanes? If not at all, doesn't that make nidbanes almost useless now? Or is the Nidbane UA/MC/other stats a mirror of the target at the time of combat?
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby DDDsDD999 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:59 pm

MagicManICT wrote:How does Einherjer Aspect affect the nidbanes? If not at all, doesn't that make nidbanes almost useless now?

Are you seriously expecting people to grind 40 numen each time they have to fight a nidbane or something? What.
DDDsDD999

Postby MagicManICT » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:45 pm

What I'm saying is if you use Einher to cheese a nidbane, does the nid get affected by it, or is it now like some noob just sent a q1 nid at you? My point is "Is it worth the effort of stockpiling Numen so when someone sends a Nidbane at me, I don't have to ever worry about it, even if they get sent at me continuously."

I'd test this myself but in no position to do so. No ancestors strong enough to make it worth the effort.
MagicManICT

Postby Leafstab » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:17 pm

MagicManICT wrote:What I'm saying is if you use Einher to cheese a nidbane, does the nid get affected by it, or is it now like some noob just sent a q1 nid at you? My point is "Is it worth the effort of stockpiling Numen so when someone sends a Nidbane at me, I don't have to ever worry about it, even if they get sent at me continuously."

I'd test this myself but in no position to do so. No ancestors strong enough to make it worth the effort.

don't nidbanes use your base stats? so id assume that they aren't affected by the spell. Although I don't think its too big of an issue, getting numen points for every nidbane fight I don't think is practical.
Leafstab

Postby MagicManICT » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:45 pm

My assumption, too, but you know what you get when you assume... :lol:
MagicManICT

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements