Game Development: Rednosed Yule

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Rednosed Yule

Postby MightySheep » Mon Dec 25, 2023 1:04 am

ChildhoodObesity wrote:TLDR:
Locking the speed bonus behind credo/slippers uninuitive/bad. Would be better to add something very intuitive that achieves the same effect with no barrier to entry.

Sure, but they didnt do that though did they? and theres no indication that they plan to do that.

So all they have done is take this pvp system with minuscule levels of skill and depth, found 1 tiny element of skill and depth and removed it, replacing it with nothing :roll:

What ideas even are there for adding depth to movement? I havent heard any good ones, its hard to think of something as impactful as this critter thing. I dont even understand who wanted it to be removed? Its a pvp change that I dont see any pvper asked for
MightySheep

Postby VDZ » Mon Dec 25, 2023 1:19 am

MightySheep wrote:I dont even understand who wanted it to be removed? Its a pvp change that I dont see any pvper asked for

It comes up in C&I every so often, also from PvPers (example). Nearly everybody at least agreed that the boosts being in Forager and on Bunny Slippers was retarded, not everybody agreed it should be removed altogether.
VDZ

Postby ChildhoodObesity » Mon Dec 25, 2023 1:21 am

MightySheep wrote:
Locking the speed bonus behind credo/slippers uninuitive/bad. Would be better to add something very intuitive that achieves the same effect with no barrier to entry.

Sure, but they didnt do that though did they? and theres no indication that they plan to do that.

So all they have done is take this pvp system with minuscule levels of skill and depth, found 1 tiny element of skill and depth and removed it, replacing it with nothing :roll:

What ideas even are there for adding depth to movement? I havent heard any good ones, its hard to think of something as impactful as this critter thing. I dont even understand who wanted it to be removed? Its a pvp change that I dont see any pvper asked for

I would hope they would rework it to still be in the game in a way that makes more sense. I trust our developers to do what's right :)

Also I think it could be neat if they disabled the push-off mechanics while in PVP. This would bring back clipping/movement in a very significant way. Honestly I'd be surprised if there were anybody participating in PVP who would be against it.
ChildhoodObesity

Postby jordancoles » Mon Dec 25, 2023 3:47 am

ChildhoodObesity wrote:
MightySheep wrote:

I would hope they would rework it to still be in the game in a way that makes more sense. I trust our developers to do what's right :)

Also I think it could be neat if they disabled the push-off mechanics while in PVP. This would bring back clipping/movement in a very significant way. Honestly I'd be surprised if there were anybody participating in PVP who would be against it.

Push-out really did fuck over a big part of pvp. A huge part of legacy combat was going in for combos and then peeling off by clipping them on trees and shit to reset your bars -- now people can just fat finger spam click through terrain

Also maybe unpopular opinion but slowing down when you drink is dumb as fuck and I've always hated it, thx
Duhhrail wrote:No matter how fast you think you can beat your meat, Jordancoles lies in the shadows and waits to attack his defenseless prey. (tl;dr) Don't afk and jack off. :lol:

Check out my pro-tips thread
Image Image Image
jordancoles

Postby DDDsDD999 » Mon Dec 25, 2023 6:42 am

ChildhoodObesity wrote:There also isn't much skill disparity involved in taking advantage of this, it's literally a 0 to 1, either you don't use it or you do use it (knowing the situations in which it can be used is involved in this).

The skill is knowing which kritters to take, which kritters to prioritize in an area, not getting lead to shitty areas by kritters, when to stop following a kritter, when you should switch direction because of a favorable kritter, getting close to the kritter to make it run and then swap to a kritter away and out of render from that one, etc, while trying to get to allies, safe pali, snekk, or just far enough away, all while not panicking. You don't just click every kritter that shows up on your screen, there's often multiple at a time.
DDDsDD999

Postby ChildhoodObesity » Mon Dec 25, 2023 8:36 am

DDDsDD999 wrote:The skill is knowing which kritters to take, which kritters to prioritize in an area, not getting lead to shitty areas by kritters, when to stop following a kritter, when you should switch direction because of a favorable kritter, getting close to the kritter to make it run and then swap to a kritter away and out of render from that one, etc, while trying to get to allies, safe pali, snekk, or just far enough away, all while not panicking. You don't just click every kritter that shows up on your screen, there's often multiple at a time.

It seems odd to attribute any of that to "skill" to me over knowledge you gain after doing it literally 1 or 2 times. It's literally. "IF KRITTER IN DIRECTION YOU'RE RUNNING OR CLOSE ENOUGH THAT IT'S NOT A COMPLETE DIRECTION SWITCH, THEN CLICK, IF KRITTER DEVIATES FROM SAID DIRECTION SWITCH TO BETTER KRITTER OR RUN NORMALLY." To me it's incredibly hard to argue that there is VARYING levels of skill involved in kritter clicking. I can somewhat see why it being another thing on the to-do list to scan for/do in combat makes it somewhat harder as it's just another thing to focus on among all the other things like, stamina, openings, direction you're running, terrain, etc but to me the skill involved is incredibly binary. It's also something that people have MANY different client features just to even do so. At this point most of skill that may have even been involved is no longer required of the player.

Anyways I'm not actually against having it in the game I just think the skill aspect is 0 to 1 essentially and that its impact on escaping a chase against equal players is incredibly low as the other variables involved are what have always been what allows for people to escape in such situations.
ChildhoodObesity

Postby strpk0 » Mon Dec 25, 2023 1:27 pm

ChildhoodObesity wrote: It's also something that people have MANY different client features just to even do so.

if you mean making them easier to click, yes, most clients now have a feature for this
if you mean some wizard shit with automatically clicking critters, no, this is cope, and I have no idea why anyone would want/need this when it can easily get you KOed and the benefit wouldn't nearly be worth it

just seems to me like the usual crybaby shit with making up bots that don't exist so they can say "this is easy for you because bots" and "this should be removed from the game because bots"
Last edited by strpk0 on Mon Dec 25, 2023 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Granger wrote:Fuck off, please go grow yourself some decency.

strpk0

Postby ChildhoodObesity » Mon Dec 25, 2023 1:33 pm

strpk0 wrote:
ChildhoodObesity wrote: It's also something that people have MANY different client features just to even do so.

if you mean making them easier to click, yes, most clients now have a feature for this
if you mean some wizard shit with automatically clicking critters, no, this is cope

I mean the giant indicators that stick out immediately that you can also click that make it easier, scripts to auto equip slippers immediately upon rabbit click then swap back to plate boots, alarms on rabbits while in combat, etc. While I'm unaware of anything to automatically click the critter, you and I both know it's definitely possible to make a feature that could scan for critters within a certain radius directly in front of the character that it clicks on immediately upon hotkey press or in favorable set conditions. Anyways yeah that's not what I meant though. The above features I was hinting at are features in my client and yours and Nightdawg's I believe which do greatly reduce the difficulty.

I feel as if I made it pretty clear I don't even think it should be fully removed, just changed. I'm just pointing out the lack of skill disparity in it that features help reduce even more. I never assumed people had the type of bots you're suggesting I did.
ChildhoodObesity

Postby strpk0 » Mon Dec 25, 2023 1:54 pm

yeah, I mostly meant that other people have brought up "bots, somehow" as a reason why critters were bad

I do agree that at the very least default client should have a toggle (on by default) to make them easier to click, needing to have a custom client for a crucial feature is bad
Granger wrote:Fuck off, please go grow yourself some decency.

strpk0

Postby DonVelD » Mon Dec 25, 2023 2:14 pm

ChildhoodObesity wrote:
DDDsDD999 wrote:The skill is knowing which kritters to take, which kritters to prioritize in an area, not getting lead to shitty areas by kritters, when to stop following a kritter, when you should switch direction because of a favorable kritter, getting close to the kritter to make it run and then swap to a kritter away and out of render from that one, etc, while trying to get to allies, safe pali, snekk, or just far enough away, all while not panicking. You don't just click every kritter that shows up on your screen, there's often multiple at a time.

It seems odd to attribute any of that to "skill" to me over knowledge you gain after doing it literally 1 or 2 times. It's literally. "IF KRITTER IN DIRECTION YOU'RE RUNNING OR CLOSE ENOUGH THAT IT'S NOT A COMPLETE DIRECTION SWITCH, THEN CLICK, IF KRITTER DEVIATES FROM SAID DIRECTION SWITCH TO BETTER KRITTER OR RUN NORMALLY." To me it's incredibly hard to argue that there is VARYING levels of skill involved in kritter clicking. I can somewhat see why it being another thing on the to-do list to scan for/do in combat makes it somewhat harder as it's just another thing to focus on among all the other things like, stamina, openings, direction you're running, terrain, etc but to me the skill involved is incredibly binary. It's also something that people have MANY different client features just to even do so. At this point most of skill that may have even been involved is no longer required of the player.

Anyways I'm not actually against having it in the game I just think the skill aspect is 0 to 1 essentially and that its impact on escaping a chase against equal players is incredibly low as the other variables involved are what have always been what allows for people to escape in such situations.

youd be surprised how many people click a rabbit that leads them into 20 fighters
JOIN THE OFFICIAL H&H DISCORD TODAY
DonVelD

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements