Game Development: Breath of Air

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Breath of Air

Postby LadyGoo » Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:07 am

As for the balance between the factions and the noobs:
Hermits and noobs cannot compete factions regardless whether they can compete stat-wise or not. It takes more than a good character to be able to defend your village. First of all, you'll need to know the right moves and the latest pvp strategies: what to expect, how to move and etc. Moreover, you'll need the numbers as well. The only chance of yours is to ally/ask for protection from another faction. So, everything will end up as another faction war and your village warriors participating as some sort of scarecrow meat.

The new factions emerge only when experienced players split out from their original group and recruit new members.

So, a fresh group of hermits, a large village of inexperienced players have never stood a chance without an experienced pvp player among them. With or without the stat caps.
Last edited by LadyGoo on Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hafen Helpdesk Skype Conference [Eng]: https://join.skype.com/mxo3yVNbrCK9
Справочная Конференция [Ru]: https://join.skype.com/fnAcsc0srDBN

Trade Conference [Eng-Ru]: https://join.skype.com/gNT6Rs92PTtM

W10 Queen of Dis fiancée of Leanne69 (Lolo)
W9 Hive [Ruler]
W8 Dis [Chieftain]
W7 Ofir [Lawspeaker]
W6 Dis [Chieftain] & Disneyland
W5 Vitterstad [Lawspeaker]
W4 A.D. [Fighter]
W3 Garden of Metallurgists [LS]
LadyGoo

Postby Potjeh » Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:08 am

jorb wrote:[*] Removed level caps.

Nice tango development, one step forward two steps back. The game is bleeding players because it doesn't support casual playstyle (I personally burned out because I couldn't take a week or two break without losing my livestock), so you double down on poopsocking as if that's gonna increase real player count (it'll massively increase bot count though so server pop will look better). And as a bonus you turn the game P2W, nice job.

As for PvP, has it occured to you that it's not happening because it kinda sucks and player pop has dropped too low for PvP to happen? I mean, who's gonna go cruising for kills when you can go days without running into another hearthling? This is why there's a lot of PvP early world - there's a lot more people running around in the woods.
Image Bottleneck
Potjeh

Postby Grog » Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:13 am

LadyGoo wrote:As for the balance between the factions and the noobs:
Hermits and noobs cannot compete factions regardless whether they can compete stat-wise or not.

Who stated they should the first place?

The new factions emerge only when experienced players split out from their original group and recruit new members.
So, a fresh group of hermits, a large village of inexperienced players have never stood a chance without an experienced pvp player among them. With or without the stat caps.

Are you deliberatly ignoring all grey zones?
Favourite thread: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3388
Grog

Postby jorb » Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:23 am

Potjeh wrote:As for PvP, has it occured to you that it's not happening because it kinda sucks and player pop has dropped too low for PvP to happen?

How can it not occur to you that is precisely what has occurred to me? Thus: The statcap no longer matters.

We implemented the stat cap to evaluate it. Now we removed it to evaluate that. None of this is indicative of some intended final form.

We work. You complain and whine. The game moves steadily and always forward. All is well with the world.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby Hasta » Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:26 am

Grog wrote:Are you deliberatly ignoring all grey zones?

Ofcourse, why do you even ask? Literally every single person who is "ok" with statcap removal is either a dedicated shitter with no intention on reaching triple-digits in any stat, or a faction member with nearly unlimited food supply.
Hasta

Postby Hasta » Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:29 am

jorb wrote:We implemented the stat cap to evaluate it. Now we removed it to evaluate that. None of this is indicative of some intended final form.
We work. You complain and whine. The game moves steadily and always forward. All is well with the world.

That's borderline delusional, but hey, it's "your game, your money and you can take it all back!!!" © Fallout.
Just make sure you don't run out of guinea pigs.

@Everyone: Peace. I'm out.
Hasta

Postby Grog » Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:30 am

jorb wrote:The game moves steadily and always forward.

Like a bull in a china shop though.
Favourite thread: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3388
Grog

Postby Potjeh » Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:31 am

Except you had ~7 years to evaluate the no caps option. IDK about Sweden, but where I come from moving steadily forward doesn't involve going backwards every couple of steps. But hey, if you think that ignoring complaints and whines will make the very real underlying problems go away, go for it. I see there's no salt at all involved in the mod changes.
Image Bottleneck
Potjeh

Postby LadyGoo » Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:35 am

Potjeh wrote:
jorb wrote:[*] Removed level caps.

Nice tango development, one step forward two steps back. The game is bleeding players because it doesn't support casual playstyle (I personally burned out because I couldn't take a week or two break without losing my livestock), so you double down on poopsocking as if that's gonna increase real player count (it'll massively increase bot count though so server pop will look better). And as a bonus you turn the game P2W, nice job.

As for PvP, has it occured to you that it's not happening because it kinda sucks and player pop has dropped too low for PvP to happen? I mean, who's gonna go cruising for kills when you can go days without running into another hearthling? This is why there's a lot of PvP early world - there's a lot more people running around in the woods.
Are you mad because you've lost your mod position? 8-)
PvP is not occurring because losing your character is more painful that it was in legacy. Period. The old combat system was also faulty and too hard for the casuals to learn. However, people have adapted to it regardless, since they had a way of coming back into the game (ancestors). You may have the best pvp system in the world, but no-one sane will keep rebuilding characters for months for the sake of 1 hour long action.
There is a lot of PvP in the early world because it does not hurt to lose 1 week of effort, in comparison with months of work in the late-game.

Also, the devs are addressing the issue of people having no motivation to go outside by introducing the quests, increasing the importance and use of experience points (local resource visiting gives you higher experience).
You've got to realize, that you cannot predict what will happen after the stat cap removal. The devs have seen what happens if the stat caps were implemented (people stopping playing actively because they have the stat-capped character, food losing its value greatly, which affects farming, animal husbandry, trade, cheese-making and etc.). Now, as the server population has decreased, it is time to try something more invasive, since it'll hurt less people and will help to make the game better. (lol, jorb posted while I was writing this post)

So far, I am happy with the direction the game is going. Nothing is or should be perfect in the way you want. Also, there is a difference between whining and providing constructive criticism. The first one is something like "PvP is shiet", "Farming is shiet", "The game is too hardcore", "Noobs have no chance". The crits. are based on actual observations, examples, proofs of your words and suggestions.

@Groq, sorry, you have to explain you questions. Not sure what do you mean.
Hafen Helpdesk Skype Conference [Eng]: https://join.skype.com/mxo3yVNbrCK9
Справочная Конференция [Ru]: https://join.skype.com/fnAcsc0srDBN

Trade Conference [Eng-Ru]: https://join.skype.com/gNT6Rs92PTtM

W10 Queen of Dis fiancée of Leanne69 (Lolo)
W9 Hive [Ruler]
W8 Dis [Chieftain]
W7 Ofir [Lawspeaker]
W6 Dis [Chieftain] & Disneyland
W5 Vitterstad [Lawspeaker]
W4 A.D. [Fighter]
W3 Garden of Metallurgists [LS]
LadyGoo

Postby Atamzsiktrop » Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:39 am

jorb wrote:We work. You complain and whine. The game moves steadily and always forward. All is well with the world.

It's all a social experiment.

Good patch, the market will finally become in game market since food is more valuable than tokens now, not to say stat caps limited qualities too - so now hql items will actually be worth something.

Lol at all the hermits crying that they don't stand a chance against raiders as if they ever did. When you stat capped your 1 char a faction stat capped 9 mains and 9 alts and they could literally continue to siege forever without giving a fuck about your cap. You need to actually try to get allied with a faction or join one if you want to be protected from raiders OR become a trader as they are usually neutral and no one fights them.

Lol at potjeh, salty because of losing his green status and implying this game should be "casual". If you want your livestock to not die if you don't feed it for weeks then go play farmville, and while I usually don't like when people use that argument it just fits perfectly here. This game is not for you, clearly.
Atamzsiktrop

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements