Game Development: Whitemetal Rain

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Whitemetal Rain

Postby Rogltroper » Sat Aug 27, 2022 8:39 pm

Pan-Seared Fish crafted with chives gives agility +1: 0, fix pls
Rogltroper

Postby Uriel » Sat Aug 27, 2022 9:09 pm

Rogltroper wrote:Pan-Seared Fish crafted with chives gives agility +1: 0, fix pls

What is the recepie?
Uriel

Postby Agrik » Sat Aug 27, 2022 10:07 pm

jorb wrote:feel free to suggest things rain should do.
Make roads, until paved, impassable. OK, crawl speed at most. Carts and wagons get stuck, you can free them by using a shovel, when the rain ends. While in other times a dirt road should definitely allow to move quicker than on a grassy (or woodland) terrain in general.

Upd.: Perhaps I imagined a bit too much heavy and long rain... :roll:

If the rain is heavy, it may extinguish fires. And then good luck to light, for example, the fireplace again. Filled with wet firewood (perhaps it should be removed first?)

Rain can also fill recesses (not sure if this is the right word; maybe "depressions"?) in the landscape. Like, you dug a 10-meter hole in the sweet spot of a clay terrain, now you have a nice and deep pool.

jorb wrote:fill up open containers
You mean boats? Yeah. Bucket should be a must.

Or you mean actual containers: crates, urns, old stumps? Agree, an urn could be filled twice, first with items, then with water. And drinking from an old stump filled with water may have strange effects on hearthling. Somewhat random, perhaps. And questgivers may ask you to get a specific one.

jorb wrote:"Soaking Wet" debuff causing internal bleeding and
Hmm. I first thought of such state for objects (and especially materials) left outdoors.

jorb wrote:We also want to make the effect localized,
Localized seasons when?

jorb wrote:add some clouds to the horizon
That'd be cool. Wait. Perhaps add a sky first?

jorb wrote:meter to indicate it
...Meter? METER? What's that, a life simulator from the first world, where you know about rain by looking at your weather-notifying device, not by looking at the clouds?

Jokes aside, the rain is cool.

VDZ wrote:Sounds like a good moment to bring back Call Down the Thunder, now as hearth magic!

On a more serious note, it could be a cool hearth magic to light fires, strike trees and/or insta-destroy something on your claim (e.g. a quicker way to dispose of the kiln you're about to replace, obviously only on claims where you have vandalism permissions)
At random. :twisted: As the called lightning strikes are imprecise, and may miss by, like, 5 meters. Or 10. Counting from the person invoking the magic, of course.

loftar wrote:and when we're a bit more out of the testing phase, it should probably rain less than that.
Depends on the season when it happens, probably. I mean, shouldn't it be season-dependent? For example:
- Rains of moderate length and intensity in the spring, but sometimes up to thunderstorms.
- Less raining overall in the summer, but when a rain happens, it is heavier with much higher thunderstorm percentage.
- Long rains in the autumn, but mostly only up to moderate, without (natural) thunderstorms.
- Other kinds of precipitation in the winter, also early spring and late autumn.

Though now I suspect the weather I described is a regional thing...

VDZ wrote:We already have drying racks. What if rain resets drying progress? :twisted:
What do you mean by "if"? It definitely should.

shubla wrote:Empty barrels should indeed fill with water.
Non-empty liquid-filled barrels should also become filled with mostly water, though slowly. Open ones, of course.

VDZ wrote:Regarding collecting rainwater, what if the collected water is just the quality of the water node at that location (i.e. what you'd get from a well at that location)? Rainwater collection could serve as a cheap but very limited well, only gaining a limited quantity of water over time (in contrast to an expensive well which has infinite supply).
Looks somewhat illogical, but seems to be quite a good addition to the gameplay.
Agrik

Postby veme » Sat Aug 27, 2022 10:12 pm

Could you at least add the possibility to turn off the rain visually? I know it's cool etc. but it's getting quite annoying and reduce the visibility
veme

Postby shubla » Sat Aug 27, 2022 10:14 pm

With higher render scale rain doesn't behave well as the droplets become very small.
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby Alitis » Sat Aug 27, 2022 11:34 pm

Will it EVER stop raining ? it's summer ffs, I am getting depressed...
Alitis

Postby sMartins » Sun Aug 28, 2022 12:19 pm

Wow ..... congrats!! This is what the game needs!! More fairy dust and beautification pls!!

I'd personally love the well know "better rapresantation of height" ... but probably this is a tough one and require world reset .... pls for the next world!!!

Really good job .... most of all for your perseverance!!!

This game, more than just a game!!
I'd hardly call anything the Bible of our times » special thanks to MagicManICT
I only logged in to say this sentence. by neeco » 30 Oct 2018, 02:57
Default Client, Best Client!
sMartins

Postby Pills » Sun Aug 28, 2022 2:28 pm

thunderstorms and thunderstruck tree curiosities when plz
Pills

Postby Redkat » Sun Aug 28, 2022 2:33 pm

I Swear

You guys have sync'ed the rain in game with the weather in Ørslev, Denmark... it's raining in game and in RL .. for the 3 time today.. and stops at the same time too...
:O
Redkat

Postby sMartins » Sun Aug 28, 2022 4:14 pm

This means snowing flakes are also possibile now?
I'd hardly call anything the Bible of our times » special thanks to MagicManICT
I only logged in to say this sentence. by neeco » 30 Oct 2018, 02:57
Default Client, Best Client!
sMartins

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements