Game Development: Rednosed Yule

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Rednosed Yule

Postby ChildhoodObesity » Mon Dec 25, 2023 2:59 pm

DonVelD wrote:
ChildhoodObesity wrote:Situations like this are quite rare though.

well before that you said it never happens, now its rare apparently? :geek:

it maybe, just maybe could mean that it does involve skill to click da rabbit and situations like this happen more often than you think

Also I wouldn't really say situations like this depict that it is skill based tbh. I feel as if that'd be a WEIRD opinion to walk away with after watching these. The first video displays about 20 people who DONT fuck this up and 1 person who does retardedly among also not using any defenses. It's pretty much what I've said from the beginning. There isn't really skill disparity or varying levels of skill it's 0 to 1. This person is at the 0. The Felix video is a better example of like a MAYBE planned strat going wrong. I don't even know this is like such an exceptional situation that it almost seems as if they were throwing intentionally. It seems more like a "this would be really funny if it worked but it probably wont" type thing.
ChildhoodObesity

Postby DonVelD » Mon Dec 25, 2023 3:05 pm

thats fair i cant read, anyway the pawcio thing was him unironically wanting to make a cool play
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
JOIN THE OFFICIAL H&H DISCORD TODAY
DonVelD

Postby DDDsDD999 » Mon Dec 25, 2023 5:02 pm

ChildhoodObesity wrote:I feel as if I made it pretty clear I don't even think it should be fully removed, just changed. I'm just pointing out the lack of skill disparity in it that features help reduce even more. I never assumed people had the type of bots you're suggesting I did.

Yeah the devs should fix the mechanic, but let's be real about the chances of them going back to fix a mechanic and how long it'll take to happen.

And brodgar retards were saying in the devs stream chat that autoclick kritter bots were a thing. It's hard to tell when they don't know better or are just lying though.

Also the clips posted are the most egregious examples. In practice poor kritter clicking typically results in gaining like 5 tiles over a minute. But you can't post a 5 minute clip of slowly closing the gap on someone.
DDDsDD999

Postby springyb » Tue Dec 26, 2023 12:15 am

Just listening to you guys talk about critter chasing has made me think it's a good idea to get rid of it. It sounds so fucking dumb lol I'm sorry. I can't imagine anyone hearing how that works being like oh heck yeah that sounds like a game I want to play.

However the need for skill expression in PvP is important so I would look to make a more intuitive and understandable way to gain movement speed advantages in combat. Maybe something simple like action that gives you a movement speed buff in exchange for combat cooldown. Or maybe buff base movement speeds and then make heavier armor give movement speed penalties instead of agility.
springyb

Postby SnuggleSnail » Tue Dec 26, 2023 12:38 am

Jorb and Loftar literally don't PVP, and according to them on stream (and judging by a lot of previous changes) can't identify who is good enough to take advice from in private.

It is stupid to discard a working and generally well liked system because ///maybe/// they will do better, or it sounds a little bit silly to an outsider. Describe any fucking mechanic in minecraft and it sounds silly to an outsider, but nobody has a problem with that.

Cheat sheet for Jorb and Loftar:
necessary: revert the speed bonus change to forager
optional: revert the bunny slipper change, or tie it to something else if you think it's "ugly"
stretch: nerf storm of swords
stretch2: bring swords back to their early world 12 stats when basically everybody would agree the meta was in its best state
double stretch muddying the water: 0 armor pen on all bows/arrows

^ I guarantee you if you surveyed all "relevant"/active PVPers the OVERWHELMING majority would agree with this. None of these are contentious statements. There would be devil's advocates suggesting huge overhauls and those 2 guys that like swords/bows but legitimately >95% hard agree with these requests.
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
http://www.seatribe.se/
SnuggleSnail

Postby Cajoes » Tue Dec 26, 2023 1:14 am

SnuggleSnail wrote:Jorb and Loftar literally don't PVP, and according to them on stream (and judging by a lot of previous changes) can't identify who is good enough to take advice from in private.

Here is a hint, it is probably not you.
Cajoes

Postby SnuggleSnail » Tue Dec 26, 2023 1:27 am

It's a little cringe to say "no u", but I don't know who you are and in a community this small that actually means you're really bad.

Half right, though. As far as PVPbois go I'm pretty mid. I wouldn't come to me for """competitive""" balancing advice unless it's to check if something is so egregiously broken even I'm upset.
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
http://www.seatribe.se/
SnuggleSnail

Postby DonVelD » Tue Dec 26, 2023 1:30 am

spoiler: hes a WB cuck, opinion discarded
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
DonVelD

Postby springyb » Tue Dec 26, 2023 1:39 am

SnuggleSnail wrote:stretch: nerf storm of swords

But what about PvE? I know it's a meme to most of you but playing solo, having a strong AoE move has been wonderful and it feels like it's appropriately strong enough considering the sometimes absurd amount things that attack you at once. Full circle just doesn't cut it and punch em both falls off after 3+ targets.

Cajoes wrote:Here is a hint, it is probably not you.

I genuinely believe a majority of snails ideas are good. He actually does love this game regardless of if you agree with the way he plays it.
springyb

Postby DonVelD » Tue Dec 26, 2023 1:44 am

springyb wrote:
SnuggleSnail wrote:stretch: nerf storm of swords

But what about PvE? I know it's a meme to most of you but playing solo, having a strong AoE move has been wonderful and it feels like it's appropriately strong enough considering the sometimes absurd amount things that attack you at once. Full circle just doesn't cut it and punch em both falls off after 3+ targets.

it just opens for too much and takes too much IP, it can still be decent but its way overpowered right now at its state

also, armor slowing you down in a movement based combat is a bad idea, people just wouldn't use the armor that'd slow you down and the people that don't know any better would just suffer because of it
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
DonVelD

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements