Game Development: Pickling Brine

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Pickling Brine

Postby Oddity » Sat May 25, 2024 4:54 am

Robben_DuMarsch wrote:I wonder if Haven and Hearth sometimes makes Jorb cringe, as he remembers his youth, and the crazy shit he used to do.

I hope not. But I wonder.

why would he cringe about actually developing the game?
jadamkaz wrote:ah i remember my run in with odditown they are good ppl im sure the only reason they killed ME is because they are troll hunters and i was a troll
Oddity

Postby Robben_DuMarsch » Sat May 25, 2024 5:26 am

Oddity wrote:
Robben_DuMarsch wrote:I wonder if Haven and Hearth sometimes makes Jorb cringe, as he remembers his youth, and the crazy shit he used to do.

I hope not. But I wonder.

why would he cringe about actually developing the game?

Jorb has had lofty ideals about an unregulated sandbox game giving rise to self-regulating justice and something approximating civility.

I don't need to use words to describe what was actually cooked up. You might, if you were a bittervet, fixate on the developers being less active. It's true, Jorb is no longer in his mid to late 20s, he's now 40 and has heavily implied that he has more than one child. He's also got a day job, and no longer full times the game.

Do you not think that he looks back at his visions for how this would all turn out, 15 years ago, and is overcome with "cringe" when he turns his gaze back to the present and chooses to interact with his community? There is good here, but it's well hidden.
Robben_DuMarsch

Postby Zentetsuken » Sat May 25, 2024 11:23 am

JOIN THE OFFICIAL H&H DISCORD TODAY
Zentetsuken

Postby grumgrumganoe » Sat May 25, 2024 4:10 pm

Sniffen_DuFart wrote:Do you not think that he looks back at his visions for how this would all turn out, 15 years ago, and is overcome with "cringe" when he turns his gaze back to the present and chooses to interact with his community?

only @ you, champ
JOIN THE OFFICIAL H&H DISCORD TODAY
grumgrumganoe

Postby terechgracz » Sat May 25, 2024 7:52 pm

yes roben you don't need to use words if you have ass
terechgracz

Postby Oddity » Sun May 26, 2024 8:12 am

yeah, I remember that, and on some misguided level I still believe they think that could work

It's obviously a naive idea, but I still wouldn't cringe or be ashamed about it.
jadamkaz wrote:ah i remember my run in with odditown they are good ppl im sure the only reason they killed ME is because they are troll hunters and i was a troll
Oddity

Postby sMartins » Sun May 26, 2024 10:08 am

One way could simply be to limit resources.
For example, if minerals were fewer and more localised, the strongest would have dominance, and thus the only ones with weapons, equalling the exclusivity of violence.
It would be rather boring and people would leave the game even sooner, but in fact that is how order is maintained in reality.
We have had to put man in chains, ourselves, to relegate the danger of his passions, but to truly become free men, one must remove these chains by deciding for oneself not to commit evil, only then will this planet be a better place.
I sincerely hope that one day this will happen .... I can already see them coming, the free spirits, how beautiful!
I'd hardly call anything the Bible of our times » special thanks to MagicManICT
I only logged in to say this sentence. by neeco » 30 Oct 2018, 02:57
Default Client, Best Client!
sMartins

Postby Massa » Sun May 26, 2024 5:06 pm

one day soon even the post ironic shitposting i do won't be in vogue

JORB RELEASE WORLD 16
ImageImage
ass blast USA
Massa

Postby Robben_DuMarsch » Sun May 26, 2024 5:10 pm

Massa wrote:JORB RELEASE WORLD 16

Ngl, +1
Robben_DuMarsch

Postby popfor » Mon May 27, 2024 4:06 am

Jorb has had lofty ideals about an unregulated sandbox game giving rise to self-regulating justice and something approximating civility.
u know this is how things functionally worked, w3-6, there were plenty of vigilantes that u could pay to avenge you, and noobs would actually have fun playing the game in loose communities of 10-20 people, sure, someone could wrecking ball ur camp if u didn't use ur actual eyes to survey your claim, but honestly thats on you, we could pay a few pearls and pies and have some jackass with a q350 sling and 300 mm go and wall snipe the guy that set me back a month. i think the downward trend from this came from the custom client scene, which rendered the game more of a program than an actual game, people really play off their minimaps now instead of in the dark wielding a torch

my first mining endeavor required me to build a line of fires to illuminate my cave, hell yeah?

its been over 13 years since i first played and this game really is a "bro im harder than u u wanna touch tips my bots run 24/7 and play the game for me, but only i can have it bc im better than u" game instead of a whimsical "oh man i spawned and its dark i hope i can forage blueberries tomorrow so i can study this 200lp mantle, for now i just have this basket and lean-to", - that entire part of the game has been removed in favor of the whole 15 vocal people bitching about late game content.
self regulation comes with equalization and immersion

if you recall, new hearthlings originally spawned with a torch and bread
wonder why :roll:

tl;dr custom clients and nerfs to seige, as well as various reworks to only appease lategame nolifers, ruined the beauty of the game
if we all played on a client with no nightvision or bots it would be 1000x more involving and interesting
Image Image
my avatar is stolen without permission
#badboysclub
popfor

Location: E̹̙̺̬̖͈̘̭̙̘̔̈́̍͆͌̋̊̈́̀̎d̡̨̺̠̠̜̲̹͕̯̑̀͂͂̈̇̿̏͝͝g̨̙̻̼͎͖̱͔̗͙̐̅̇͗̈́̔͛̌̌͠ŷ͔̼͓̺̮̪̫̙̬̐͊̀́̊͆͝͝͝ͅ

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements