Game Development: Seasons Greetings

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Seasons Greetings

Postby Ejnekor » Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:04 pm

Exp excuse is strange. If exp is an issue - there always a lot of low-exp curious. I more agree with essence issue than this.

I manage my husbands account right now, since he is not active due to work. His exp was low as hell (always is, since i have no time to run around on his char), so at the day of the patch he went into -200 negative. Couple of minutes send him back at 800-ish right away. The bug with it going negative can be fixed, other than that its fine.

The fact that autostudy people will keep doing that is fine. Look at people who DON'T use autostudy please. It is us, who benefit from this system more. Tweaking exp to depend on wear would be great, but then again, I rather not have increased wear on items from stat, but stable wear, balanced with exp change based on that wear and maybe two stats to play role in lp gain (formula or depending on what i higher). Maybe decrease exp cost by third stat. Mental weight is useless and wear increase is strange thing to balance around (better to have static and balanced number there anyway).
Ejnekor

Postby dafels » Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:07 pm

This was just too good to be true. :cry:
Revert back the revert pls

BTW: I've never had issues with XP before and during this patch, because I'm actually playing instead of just logging in to put some curios then log out.
Last edited by dafels on Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dafels

Postby Asgaroth22 » Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:09 pm

Kaios wrote:It doesn't really matter what you do or I do to be honest, if I want to log in and just mine for a few hours and log out again why can't I do that? That is the point I am trying to get at, they've created a system where players are learning what gives the experience and they are running through the list regularly. I don't want to do that, I shouldn't have to do that and that is certainly not what I would consider to be a well thought out implementation. Experience is the problem and it has always been an issue. The simple fact that you or someone else has 10k-20k experience points while another person is sitting in the negatives is PROOF that it does not work the way it should.

I agree, the experience system favors hermits over villagers, just because they need to do all and everything by themselves. Though i'm a hermit and i get ~300-500 exp a day, i still think it should be looked into. I have over 25k exp on my main.
However, i have a farmer alt that does nothing else but farm/boil cocoons/sew, and he's keeping up with the experience (mostly sitting around 4k).

warri wrote:The players who autocuriod before will still need to do so. The low timer items like feather trinket and bat wings and bark boats and glimmer seers bones etc ALSO have low wear. So after 2h, that is 1 cycle, my feather trinket is already down to 90%. So i just use a new one again. Why waste my XP and time for 90%. I never had trouble to fill them when they were one time use so there is no change here. Bat wings have 4 or 5 wear. So after 1 cycle of 4h or what was it, they are garbage. I just use a new one.

So what? just use a new curio. If you want to get that 10% edge, just do what you've been doing all this time and put in new curios whenever they finish.

I also think this patch was great, and the curio system was a very good concept, however it needs tweaking. I think wear should be a constant, and not scaling with quality. Glimmersmosses shouldn't have 40 wear with them being so common. Perhaps reduce the wear values, and change the lp reduction so it caps at 75%?
“The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.”

Douglas Adams

W3-W13 - mostly hermit, with a few brief periods as a crafter/farmer to various villages
Asgaroth22

Postby loleznub » Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:14 pm

jorb wrote:Ok, so, regarding the curio change.

The idea on our part was to reduce the amount of management needed for curios, not increase it. We are going to revert that change, quite simply. We might revisit the idea of multiple use curios as such at some point. Sorry about that!

This has been one of the best additions to HnH. Why remove it?

Just scale the XP to a %

So if glimmermoss has 20 charges, the LP you get is reduced by 5% each time, the XP requirement should also reduce by 5%.

Simple fix for a good addition..
loleznub

Postby Kaios » Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:16 pm

Ejnekor wrote:Exp excuse is strange. If exp is an issue - there always a lot of low-exp curious.

I manage my husbands account right now, since he is not active due to work. His exp was low as hell (always is, since i have no time to run around on his char), so at the day of the patch he went into -200 negative. Couple of minutes send him back at 800-ish right away. The bug with it going negative can be fixed, other than that its fine.

Some of the low experience curios are already the good curios, and the problem isn't that I couldn't maintain enough experience to use what I have each day it's the fact that each wear uses the same amount of experience every time despite less LP gain and that combined with going negative makes it much worse. Also 800 experience is not very much.

It's just annoying that they already went ahead and reverted it rather than fix the actual issues but I guess while reverting nice changes falls under the purview of acceptable "holiday" work, fixing real problems does not.
Kaios

Postby Ejnekor » Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:21 pm

Kaios wrote:Some of the low experience curios are already the good curios, and the problem isn't that I couldn't maintain enough experience to use what I have each day it's the fact that each wear uses the same amount of experience every time despite less LP gain and that combined with going negative makes it much worse. Also 800 experience is not very much.

1000exp in two minutes is pretty good i would say, regardless of total number! It makes his study to be learned 5-6 times until he reaches 0.

And yes, I would like to exp change with that system, as I mentioned earlier, but I don't think this issue was revert-worthy at the same time. It is good even in this state for casual players. Plus we didn't have much time to test it either way.
Ejnekor

Postby Asgaroth22 » Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:22 pm

Kaios wrote:
Ejnekor wrote:Exp excuse is strange. If exp is an issue - there always a lot of low-exp curious.

Some of the low experience curios are already the good curios, and the problem isn't that I couldn't maintain enough experience to use what I have each day it's the fact that each wear uses the same amount of experience every time despite less LP gain and that combined with going negative makes it much worse. Also 800 experience is not very much.

It's just annoying that they already went ahead and reverted it rather than fix the actual issues but I guess while reverting nice changes falls under the purview of acceptable "holiday" work, fixing real problems does not.

I think reverting this was a good idea. It was a major change that shouldn't be implemented just before they went off on holiday. I hope they come up with some nice ideas to tweak this when they're back.
“The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.”

Douglas Adams

W3-W13 - mostly hermit, with a few brief periods as a crafter/farmer to various villages
Asgaroth22

Postby springyb » Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:32 pm

jorb wrote:Ok, so, regarding the curio change.

The idea on our part was to reduce the amount of management needed for curios, not increase it. We are going to revert that change, quite simply. We might revisit the idea of multiple use curios as such at some point. Sorry about that!

The idea was a good one, I hope it doesn't get put off completely.

Everybody else, chill the fuck out and wait a bit. They're on vacation, let them revert it and fine tune it when they get back into things.
Last edited by springyb on Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
springyb

Postby Ejnekor » Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:36 pm

Asgaroth22 wrote:
I think reverting this was a good idea. It was a major change that shouldn't be implemented just before they went off on holiday. I hope they come up with some nice ideas to tweak this when they're back.

Hope so too. Idea was in the right place I would say. Maybe we should provide feedback of what we liked what we didn't like? To sum it up basically. They could use it in their future iteration.

Pros:
- Easier management for long-afk periods.
- Less need to "dressup to put curios in".
- Easier management of "rarer" curios. Especially for villages.

Cons:
- Wear influence lp gain, but not exp costs. Leads to basically wasted exp in many cases
- Lp gain is now linked to one stat, which makes curious from the wild worse, unless you found exactly essence spot for them. Create even bigger gap between crafted and gathered curios.

Suggestion from me is to make wear a static stat for curios and balance it with exp and lp decrease as well. Also agree with suggestion above that maybe reduction in LP (and exp) should not go bellow certain number - 75% as suggested above seems good enough reason to replace curio with new one if able but not to harm players who unable to gain better one. Also balance lp gain not on one stat after all... maybe highest stat should be taken into consideration, for example.
Ejnekor

Postby sabinati » Fri Dec 18, 2015 6:00 pm

Well, I liked the overall concept of the curio change. I agree that XP should scale along with LP, and some further tweaks may be needed. I hope to see the system back soon.

With regard to essence only being the LP modifier, I'm not sure if that is a problem or not. It gives people some items to trade, and since most groups may have essence nodes for some items and not others. Hard to tell since we only have played with the system for 1 day.
sabinati

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements