Planned downtime: Server move

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Planned downtime: Server move

Postby loftar » Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:14 pm

Now far be it from me to want to put a damper on a spirited and engaging discussion, but let's try and keep in mind that this is not a thread about world resets or changes to fundamental mechanics.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby Okocim » Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:16 pm

Lunarius_Haberdash wrote:
Okocim wrote:Is fixing "enormous stats" even possible?
If you cap it at some point it'll just make ppl create multiple characters with max stats and nothing will never change.
And regular resets would remove any future from the game, at some point ppl wouldn't want to start over anymore knowing that at some point all their work just going to be wasted.

I don't think that's as universal an opinion as you seem to think. Restarts are exciting and fresh and one of my favorite times in the game.

And yes, people will make multiple characters with max stats but that *still* means that there's a point where you *KNOW* you're going to be in even competition with the strongest characters in the game. That's not something any new player has any hope of now, period. You will be outrun on the uphill climb, and 10k Str proves that even diminishing returns isn't sufficient deterrent to make keeping up possible.

We need stat caps, we need stat decay, we need stat decay to accelerate with increasing stat size so that maintaining the highest stats is a costly and Sisyphean task.

Fresh starts are sure exciting, but at some point knowing that anything you do will be gone at some point will make you don't want to even bother anymore.
Well maybe your right about having remote chance against strongest chars with stat caps, but in the end it wouldn't rly matter as even if you win once or twice those guys will just come with another character, your risking your only good char while others are using disposal characters without any sense of risk.

and imho many players would quit with stats decay. Those ppl who are not staying ingame 24/7 wouldn't have any chance of catching up. going for vacation will make you even further behind. as not only you don't improve, your even getting weaker.

You don't spend all your free time in-game your falling behind, but why even bother, in a while it's just going to be wiped. Let's just wait for the wipe, Play for 3 weeks until some faction settles advantage quit and wait for another wipe? This type of gameplay only suit tryhards, those who just want to relax playing game would just quit, and playing in a deserted world isn't fun.

loftar wrote:Now far be it from me to want to put a damper on a spirited and engaging discussion, but let's try and keep in mind that this is not a thread about world resets or changes to fundamental mechanics.

Was in the middle of writing but your right, this place would be more suitable viewtopic.php?f=48&t=59210
Okocim

Postby Granger » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:00 pm

loftar wrote:Now far be it from me to want to put a damper on a spirited and engaging discussion, but let's try and keep in mind that this is not a thread about world resets or changes to fundamental mechanics.

Apart from that:
dafels wrote:
loftar wrote:I suspect that if all we had were beginnings all the time, especially just for the sake of the reset without any accompanying significant development, that would get old pretty fast.

I think fixing most of the bullshit we have right now (enormous stats,satiations etc etc etc) would be a significant progress in game development to reset the world

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over, without a change, and expecting different results.

Your suggestion would be to keep the problems and just let us go through them again, again.
⁎ Mon Mar 22, 2010 ✝ Thu Jan 23, 2020
Granger

Postby dafels » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:02 pm

Granger wrote:Your suggestion would be to keep the problems and just let us go through them again, again.

no, hence I said FIX the problems first
dafels

Postby Granger » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:08 pm

dafels wrote:
Granger wrote:Your suggestion would be to keep the problems and just let us go through them again, again.

no, hence I said FIX the problems first

Then I misunderstood what you said or how you said it. Sorry.
⁎ Mon Mar 22, 2010 ✝ Thu Jan 23, 2020
Granger

Postby WowGain » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:32 pm

solution: re-balance curios and FEPs/satiation around a concept of diminishing returns in regards to stats. upgrading your stats/abilities needs to grow harder and harder as you climb in numbers, increasing quality of items beyond a certain point doesn't provide much more from it, etc etc.
Essentially, create an endgame where the times between upping stats become large enough that your rate of growth can't leave you constantly outpacing new players or late starters to a point of making it useless to even try getting into the world late if you're interested in things like pvp or competition. Niantic's leveling structure in games like Ingress might be a good study point for a system like this.
W7 Hermit, Honorary Ruskie
W8 Hermit
W10 Hermit
W12 Hermit
W13 Oppidian, Lawspeaker of Duckshead Bay, Straumfjord
W14 Oppidian, Aldermann of Aldorice Reodcomba, Lord of Eirinsk, Duke of Sasheim
WowGain

Postby Redlaw » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:47 pm

the game already has rules for diminishing returns.
Redlaw

Postby Chebermech » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:47 pm

can we (still) expect an interesting patch once the server goes back up?
Chebermech

Postby shubla » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:00 pm

But the forum is a place for discussion. HnH forum is not that active, when some discussion finally starts it should not be stopped. Although it might be unpleasant if it happens in a strange place like this thread.
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby WowGain » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:15 pm

Redlaw wrote:the game already has rules for diminishing returns.

clearly not enough when people are easily just chugging along at 15k+ stats
W7 Hermit, Honorary Ruskie
W8 Hermit
W10 Hermit
W12 Hermit
W13 Oppidian, Lawspeaker of Duckshead Bay, Straumfjord
W14 Oppidian, Aldermann of Aldorice Reodcomba, Lord of Eirinsk, Duke of Sasheim
WowGain

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements