Game Development: My Log has Something to Tell You

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: My Log has Something to Tell You

Postby Gensokyo » Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:30 pm

jorb wrote:
APXEOLOG wrote:Seriously, jorb, what was the reason to reject the new combat system?

It was on balance not good enough to merit the upset that launching it causes. Also the problem wasn't that PvE was impossible, but that there was nothing to it what-so-ever.

Jorb this makes me wonder two things, do bats use special attacks (the ones that cause the annoying wounds) at all times (when enough IP is gathered) or only around a certain defense?
And are quests generated around the hearth when summoned by hearth magicks?
Gensokyo

Postby Ozzy123 » Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:31 pm

What about implementing the same ua and mc weight as in legacy? Same ua/meele etc for animals, wouldn't that work?
epicbuds wrote:just got this game a bad review on my website and will post on every forum and game page i can think of to tell people to stay away from this site this game is a joke

viruseg wrote:Kill all new players for no reason. Polish scum came running and killed me with a crowd. Suck fuck fucks..
Ozzy123

Postby Kaios » Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:36 pm

jorb wrote:Ok. So if I implemented a system that simply compared stats and assigned a winner by means of some weighted random, say, that would be fine with you, as it is only slightly to the side of what we have now?

Yeah, no.

No I just said what we have now is already to the side of click to kill and what I mean by that is, for the most part, 90% of players are clicked on and then they are killed. There isn't any strategy involved, they don't try to out manuever the person chasing them or something because they CAN'T do that. You have not given any players that aren't end game statted and equipped the tools or the means to fight back and win or competently escape anyone that knows what they are doing.
Kaios

Postby APXEOLOG » Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:37 pm

jorb wrote:
APXEOLOG wrote:Seriously, jorb, what was the reason to reject the new combat system?

It was on balance not good enough to merit the upset that launching it causes. Also the problem wasn't that PvE was impossible, but that there was nothing to it what-so-ever.

But jorb, you cannot just pull fully-balanced system out of your mind. You will always need a lot of proper feedback and patches to make it balanced. What i see right now, is that you not touch current system nor the new one, and it makes me upset
W10 Meme Plot | W9 Mantis Garden | W8 Core | W7 Ofir | W6 the City of Dis | W5 Vitterstad | W4 A.D. | W3 Mirniy
jorb wrote:All your characters will be deleted, and I will level every village any one of them were ever members of.
APXEOLOG

Postby jorb » Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:40 pm

Kaios wrote:Stuff

You don't need to convince me that the current combat system isn't up to snuff. I am well aware of that.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby Zeler » Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:42 pm

jorb wrote:
Kaios wrote:Stuff

You don't need to convince me that the current combat system isn't up to snuff. I am well aware of that.

Implement new combat to the live server and balance it around that? The world is at its brink anyways.
Zeler

Postby jorb » Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:43 pm

APXEOLOG wrote:What i see right now, is that you not touch current system nor the new one, and it makes me upset

We're just taking a bit of a breather and trying out some more actionable ideas. We spent a month on combat and I'd like to step back for a minute or two, is all.

I can tell you this much: There will not be a new world before there is a new combat system.

I agree that we should try to be as iterative as we can when approaching combat.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby APXEOLOG » Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:00 pm

jorb wrote:We're just taking a bit of a breather and trying out some more actionable ideas. We spent a month on combat and I'd like to step back for a minute or two, is all.

I understand it, but i think you can throw the new system into the live server anyway and gather the feedback while doing another stuff.
W10 Meme Plot | W9 Mantis Garden | W8 Core | W7 Ofir | W6 the City of Dis | W5 Vitterstad | W4 A.D. | W3 Mirniy
jorb wrote:All your characters will be deleted, and I will level every village any one of them were ever members of.
APXEOLOG

Postby shubla » Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:21 pm

APXEOLOG wrote:
jorb wrote:We're just taking a bit of a breather and trying out some more actionable ideas. We spent a month on combat and I'd like to step back for a minute or two, is all.

I understand it, but i think you can throw the new system into the live server anyway and gather the feedback while doing another stuff.

I think that when worlds get old and player counts go low. Devs should experiment even with little bit crazy ideas on main server.
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby Kaios » Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:22 pm

jorb wrote:You don't need to convince me that the current combat system isn't up to snuff. I am well aware of that.

I know but does the new one attempt to address any of those issues or is it merely an attempt to make combat more "complicated" or rather to add some strategy; which of course there is nothing wrong with except if it only ends up limiting new/inexperienced players more than the current one.

I don't think some new approaches to combat would hurt, add some dynamics. Allow players who don't have the stats or equipment to actually contribute meaningfully to a combat scenario in other ways beyond an extra guy to spam punch.
Kaios

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements