Game Development: Setting Icons

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Setting Icons

Postby czaper2 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:40 pm

loftar wrote:
Zentetsuken wrote:[turns on every possible piece of bottom ui]

If I DiD NoT mInD hAvInG aLl Of ThIs JuNk TaKiNg Up 1/3rd oF mY sCrEeN

:roll:

How dare he have chat, a map, and all the buttons needed to play the game visible.

What the fuck is his deal, amirite?
czaper2

Postby loftar » Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:41 pm

czaper2 wrote:How dare he have, chat, a map, and all the buttons needed to play the game visible.

Contrariwise, if he actually needs it all, there seems to be little reason to complain about it.

And, I mean, we could try to actually talk about things with some precision instead of obtusely trying to hint at it through vague memeing. Just my piece of critique and ideas.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby shubla » Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:45 pm

Did you remove clapping sound effect? I cannot hear it even on default client!
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby Gensokyo » Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:45 pm

Why are kritter icons oddly resized and stretched to what seems to be about 1.5x scale?
Gensokyo

Postby loftar » Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:48 pm

shubla wrote:Did you remove clapping sound effect? I cannot hear it even on default client!

That's a good question. I'm pretty sure it's not intentional. I'll have to look into that.

Gensokyo wrote:Why are kritter icons oddly resized and stretched to what seems to be about 1.5x scale?

Not sure what you're talking about. I don't see this anywhere. Please elaborate.
loftar

Postby shubla » Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:58 pm

I think that the reason why people like amber's minimap is that you can resize the map window to your preference and then see a bit farther away than with the small default client map.

Reason why the larger map in default client is bad option is that it is bloated with buttons etc. that you don't really need.

Having an option to disable the large thing on the right (like a button which expands/contracts it on demand) would be nice.

Also the larger map should have all of the smaller maps features, like icons. One could even completely replace the smaller map with the larger map.

But even with the large widget on the right disabled, the large map would still be considered too bloated by many, as the borders are stylized instead of being only few pixels thick which they are in custom client minimaps. But I'm not sure if that is something that should be added to the default client(minimalistic UI design that is) at all.
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby loftar » Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:02 pm

shubla wrote:Having an option to disable the large thing on the right (like a button which expands/contracts it on demand) would be nice.

That's a fair point. I do plan on trying to integrate more minimap features into the map window, so I'll certainly consider that when we do get around to that.

shubla wrote:But even with the large widget on the right disabled, the large map would still be considered too bloated by many, as the borders are stylized instead of being only few pixels thick which they are in custom client minimaps. But I'm not sure if that is something that should be added to the default client(minimalistic UI design that is) at all.

I might agree in the more general case, but in this particular case, I don't think it would be too egregious to just remove all the window decorations and display the map in the frame that it's already in, I think that looks pretty good without being too minimalistic. The only thing is that I'm not sure how I would make that remnant draggable, since drags in it normally drag the map rather than the window, but I'm sure we'll figure something out.
loftar

Postby Zentetsuken » Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:02 pm

loftar wrote:
czaper2 wrote:How dare he have, chat, a map, and all the buttons needed to play the game visible.

Contrariwise, if he actually needs it all, there seems to be little reason to complain about it.

And, I mean, we could try to actually talk about things with some precision instead of obtusely trying to hint at it through vague memeing. Just my piece of critique and ideas.

I don't know man, I think I was being pretty clear.

This is amber UI, I can keep chat and other shit small, unintrusive and organized, without stretching it to 1.5x, have a big minimap wherever I want, zoom in, resize and so on

This is your new and improved UI, stretched to 1.5x, taking up 1/3rd of my screen just so I can see a slightly bigger version of a minimap.

If you are telling me that you spent time and effort coding and redrawing stuff for UI scaling just to tell me I'm an idiot who should close my chat and action buttons if I want to enjoy the bigger minimap and not have 1/3rd of my screen covered, I dare say that you have just created a much bigger meme than I could ever hope to conceive
JOIN THE OFFICIAL H&H DISCORD TODAY
Zentetsuken

Postby loftar » Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:07 pm

Zentetsuken wrote:I don't know man, I think I was being pretty clear.

If what you want to point out is that you want to be able to resize the chat UI in the width dimension, and have it snap to the left of the screen when the minimap is hidden, you could have said that instead of talking about how huge everything is.
loftar

Postby jordancoles » Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:08 pm

jorb wrote:[*] The list as such, though not your particular settings, are kept server side, and you keep it if you clear your java cache or start playing on another computer, or whatever.
[*] The list is kept per account, rather than character, so all characters on a specific account share their icon list, and it should persist over world resets and the like!

..why? At that point why not just have it unlocked for all accounts.

>y wOULD u NEeD rESIZABLE MaP?
So that you can see what's ahead of you when travel8ng or running for your life. It helps you avoid dead end rivers, mountains and ridges
Last edited by jordancoles on Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Duhhrail wrote:No matter how fast you think you can beat your meat, Jordancoles lies in the shadows and waits to attack his defenseless prey. (tl;dr) Don't afk and jack off. :lol:

Check out my pro-tips thread
Image Image Image
jordancoles

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements