Game Development: My Log has Something to Tell You

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: My Log has Something to Tell You

Postby Pan_w_okularach » Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:12 pm

Potjeh wrote:It has potential for those things, though. So it's really high time to stop scrapping stuff and starting from scratch and start building on existing stuff. The best system in Haven (FEPs) was built that way. The current combat system is a card game, so it could be improved by taking ideas from real card games. As it is we only have creature cards, give us lands and enchantments and all that good stuff and tactical depth will come with it (unless you think real TCGs don't have tactical depth). IMO the test server combat was taking the wrong direction, the number of options barely increased while the base set of rules got a lot more convoluted just for the sake of being more convoluted.

tbh i never tried to get into any card game
i don't see the appeal
and yeah, i think the reason why these games are so popular is because people like collecting stuff and if you remove the disparity coming from the fact that players have different sets of cards it probably all boils down to just luck, with a few strategems that everyone knows anyways
am i wrong?
Memories of pain
Pan_w_okularach

Postby Potjeh » Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:51 pm

They're just about luck as much as poker is just about luck.
Image Bottleneck
Potjeh

Postby Kaios » Wed Aug 10, 2016 2:12 pm

Moisture wrote:I feel bad for the old PvPers.
How frustrating it must be to insist that the old system is more skillful, tactical and just overall better only to get told "Nah, you're wrong" despite you being no doubt the most well versed on the subject.

the fact of the matter is between sling hunting, movement hits, ranger bows and incredibly high str characters with crazy punch & sword/b12 damage there was really never any reason for anyone to care about a majority of the moves except for the dudes going balls deep in to fights where they are outnumbered and that would probably still be the case
Kaios

Postby shadowchris » Wed Aug 10, 2016 2:30 pm

So any news on when you'll be shipping out the new combat system? It's been Weeks since you iced it.-.
W8 HLTU W9 Tartarus,Alfheimer,Niflheim W10 RiP, Dis
shadowchris

Postby MagicManICT » Wed Aug 10, 2016 2:54 pm

shadowchris wrote:So any news on when you'll be shipping out the new combat system? It's been Weeks since you iced it.-.

Before the next new world. ;) Can you really expect a date on something like this?

Back to the recent topic... Personally, I like the possibilities of the combat system that currently exists, but there needs to be some solid work on it, I think. Maybe a way to cycle cards, more variety of cards, some nerfs and buffs, a minimum deck size,interface rework, etc.

About the interface rework... the player can assign cards in their deck to a new hotbar that replaces the current one (see WoW warrior/druid combat form changes et al) along with any other "important" actions--drink, attack, etc. This gets it out of the way of the play screen, players aren't getting lost with keys that override other keys (though it can be worked around, it's something you have to plan for), specific actions remain fixed to specific keys when the card is in hand so a player doesn't accidentally queue up the wrong move (unless they just have butterfingers).
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby Grog » Wed Aug 10, 2016 4:28 pm

shadowchris wrote:So any news on when you'll be shipping out the new combat system? It's been Weeks since you iced it.-.

When it's good.
Favourite thread: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3388
Grog

Postby Enjoyment » Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:25 pm

jorb wrote:...I hope we can get back to a somewhat regular schedule after that...

So bad, you can't make your hopes become true. I'm still on your side, but it seems like you're trying to get "some new mechanics" w/o even knowing, how they should fit.
New gilding system was an interesting solution, and you swear to make it brilliant, but no any steps in that direction (affination system still unbalanced).
New combat system was tested and forgotten. Yeap, you "have to take a breath", and I'm still want to trust you can do it, but facts tell us - nothing were done.
New quest system seems interesting but was implemented in the way too far from even acceptable, with many game-breaking elements, which could be fixed by like 10 minutes. And you had feedback of it, but 2 weeks have passed, and still no any fixes - we still have q-givers beyond map edges and still 90% of quest is "just visit another q-giver to gain a quest to visit another one".
And brilliant idea of Material Colors was forgotten being far from done. I swear the community will greatly appreciate diff-mat cupboards (for stocking differnt types of stuff)/barrels (dividing liquids from seeds (yes, they have signs, but still))/ herbalist-tables (for q or non-q based tasks)/ hide-racks and etc. Why did you stop?
Too much "NEW GREAT FEATURE!!!" in game-dev. I don't mind it, if we are speaking about post-release or DLC patches, but for games in deep alpha, I prefer fixing known issues instead of adding new features in like 4/1 percentage.
All the way I follow your game since w8 you, J&L, were most focused on improving QoL for players, spending a lot of time in "C&I" or "Bugs" topics, but since this May you decided to enclose your mind and your vision, and most of the deeds were based on this cry-babies - "ded gaem", "bring bak legasy kombat", "archery OP" and so on.
Seriously, LadyGoo spent like a week, posting some outstanding suggestions (Im talking about form, not content) with some of the main game problems and several possible solutions (and now Im talking about content) - no devs answers at all. But once some "very adult 17-years PvPer" says "PeeVeePee sucks" and Jorb spent like 3 hours of his life in discussions with this idiot.I shall repeat - Jorb didn't visit ANY of LadyGoo's threads. Why am I talking about it? I think, that Lady's projects keep the actual player-base of this world alive much more than those PvP-GODS-kids... And I think devs are focused on wrong way...
Even Jordancoles stopped to post "new stockpile" threads.
I do trust the devs, and I do trust in H&H future, but I want to see any steps in this future.
All this PvP-Gods looks like 13-years children, crying about too small child-bicycle, cause it doesn't fits his size no more. And more of that, other little kids still can have fun with this bicycle, and that make him mad - he wants to persue devs to make this old child-bicycle fit him, instead of grow up and try some new adult-bicycle.
TL;DR: Devs shoudln't focus on combat but mor on QoL.
English is neither my native lang, nor my best side...
Enjoyment
Under curfew

Postby jorb » Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:13 pm

"Stop releasing half-finished things..."

Why? Anything functional is better than nothing at all. If we can't work iteratively then you won't see much progress at all. I get that you want the world and everything, but you underestimate the scope of the systems involved. Big systems take time, and I disagree entirely that we should prioritize QoL over them.

I have read all of LadyGoo's post with interest.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby Zeler » Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:20 pm

Enjoyment wrote:
jorb wrote:...I hope we can get back to a somewhat regular schedule after that...

So bad, you can't make your hopes become true. I'm still on your side, but it seems like you're trying to get "some new mechanics" w/o even knowing, how they should fit.
New gilding system was an interesting solution, and you swear to make it brilliant, but no any steps in that direction (affination system still unbalanced).
New combat system was tested and forgotten. Yeap, you "have to take a breath", and I'm still want to trust you can do it, but facts tell us - nothing were done.
New quest system seems interesting but was implemented in the way too far from even acceptable, with many game-breaking elements, which could be fixed by like 10 minutes. And you had feedback of it, but 2 weeks have passed, and still no any fixes - we still have q-givers beyond map edges and still 90% of quest is "just visit another q-giver to gain a quest to visit another one".
And brilliant idea of Material Colors was forgotten being far from done. I swear the community will greatly appreciate diff-mat cupboards (for stocking differnt types of stuff)/barrels (dividing liquids from seeds (yes, they have signs, but still))/ herbalist-tables (for q or non-q based tasks)/ hide-racks and etc. Why did you stop?
Too much "NEW GREAT FEATURE!!!" in game-dev. I don't mind it, if we are speaking about post-release or DLC patches, but for games in deep alpha, I prefer fixing known issues instead of adding new features in like 4/1 percentage.
All the way I follow your game since w8 you, J&L, were most focused on improving QoL for players, spending a lot of time in "C&I" or "Bugs" topics, but since this May you decided to enclose your mind and your vision, and most of the deeds were based on this cry-babies - "ded gaem", "bring bak legasy kombat", "archery OP" and so on.
Seriously, LadyGoo spent like a week, posting some outstanding suggestions (Im talking about form, not content) with some of the main game problems and several possible solutions (and now Im talking about content) - no devs answers at all. But once some "very adult 17-years PvPer" says "PeeVeePee sucks" and Jorb spent like 3 hours of his life in discussions with this idiot.I shall repeat - Jorb didn't visit ANY of LadyGoo's threads. Why am I talking about it? I think, that Lady's projects keep the actual player-base of this world alive much more than those PvP-GODS-kids... And I think devs are focused on wrong way...
Even Jordancoles stopped to post "new stockpile" threads.
I do trust the devs, and I do trust in H&H future, but I want to see any steps in this future.
All this PvP-Gods looks like 13-years children, crying about too small child-bicycle, cause it doesn't fits his size no more. And more of that, other little kids still can have fun with this bicycle, and that make him mad - he wants to persue devs to make this old child-bicycle fit him, instead of grow up and try some new adult-bicycle.
TL;DR: Devs shoudln't focus on combat but mor on QoL.

TL;DR: you are a retard
Zeler

Postby shadyg0d » Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:03 pm

How can you not trust the devs after 9 worlds? Hasn't the game always moved in the right direction regardless of minor setbacks/disagreements? People freak out the second they don't like something as if it's permanent and wont improve. Can anyone argue that Hafen hasn't made lightyears of progress?

I'm sure they want to see the game finished just as much as everyone else. Telling them their own priorities seems pretty silly.
shadyg0d

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements