Game Development: Prelude pt. II

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Prelude pt. II

Postby Amanda44 » Sun Feb 21, 2016 6:16 pm

LadyV wrote:
Amanda44 wrote:Idk, I'm beginning to agree with Dani and V, world seems too small with almost 600 players, world 7 had like 300 dropping to like 200, there are people everywhere, lots of griefing and stealing and some of the new resources are way overpowered, which is great if you found any but not so much for everyone else who just find them stripped clean.

Balance has been lost and forced interaction of this nature is not a good thing ... I'm hanging in there atm but life is hard in the hearthlands unless you are part of a bigger group.

It's always a bad sign when seasoned players leave the game, if we can't hack it knowing the game as we do, then the newbies have no chance. :(

Welcome to Havendome, are you Max or Master Blaster?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6_JONVYwQ0

:lol:

LadyGoo wrote:It is a bit uncomfortable, indeed. But on the other hand, once you will have your palisade up, you are safe until the end of the world. Resource claiming happens in any worlds as well.
As for my folk, we found this world much more fun than hafen 1.

Well, you know me, lol, always one to dig my heels in when threatened. :)

I found one of my tormentors dead today .. yay! .. only about 12 more to go! :lol:

Anyway, that and having all my stuff stolen yet again has made the defence (stubbornness, lol) kick in. I'm not leaving this island now, it's time to make a stand. Claim is active, have another one other side active in 12hrs or w/e it is now, hopefully can actually get some hides and leather safely stored and then up goes idol and pali.

They picked the wrong girl! :D

Also, thanks LG, that helped too. :)
Koru wrote:
It is like in Lord of the Flies, nobody controlls what is going on in the hearthlands, those weaker and with conscience are just fucked.
Animal lovers - Show us your pets! - viewtopic.php?f=40&t=44444#p577254
Amanda44

Postby MagicManICT » Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:29 am

5x5 was fine in the beginnings of the game, but it's just a bit cramped. I think, for now, 7x7 really is the way to go for the number of players. Last world was definitely way to large. It felt emptier than when I started w3. If I recall correctly, it had been expanded to 11x11 at that point, and was about the same number of daily logins as we've seen in all the long running worlds.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby boreial » Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:59 am

My observations of W9 so far,

Even after traveling for 14 hours, I have found it too crowded for my game play style. (dedicated Hermit) If I have a neighbor within an hours walk from me that is too close for what I like, (personal opinion).

As for the new resources/wonders, whatever they will be finally called by the player base, I think they are a touch silly, I understand some players relish having something to fight over, but again, just not my style, I firmly believe in defending your home, but not in fighting over abstract resources. again, just my personal opinion.

I do give kudo's on the river system, especially traveling through mountainous regions, the panaramics in said cases are superb. yet with the map size at it's current size, just too many rivers and inter-connecting lakes means that finding a remote area is again just seemingly impossible.

With 2 Bronze accounts until August or September, I suppose I won't be just dropping the game, however I am sorely disappointed in the direction that I see the game heading, with a map base too small, and the siege/warfare introduction, at this juncture I sincerely doubt I will be renewing.
boreial

Postby MagicManICT » Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:31 am

But it's the same size map as every world since the game went online*. The difference is that people are spawning in all corners of the map instead of being dropped centrally.

*with the exception of w8. Also will note that w3 on have had extensions added at some point after starting with worlds ending at sizes from 7x7 to 11x11 or larger.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby dvsmasta » Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:52 am

abt79 wrote:
shubla wrote:I think that resource nodes should disappear every now and then and pop on different location.

Thus defeating the purpose of settling near them and making them equally available to everyone.
What's the point then?

This would be nice - as it is currently large factions will bot them all and no one else will ever get any of them. I see no point in a non-botter claiming any of them as the bots will pull the resources as soon as they spawn.

Found all sorts of resource nodes, the only one that had anything was a clay pit and the heart tree. Both are the more pointless special resources (currently)
dvsmasta

Postby Audiosmurf » Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:59 am

dvsmasta wrote:
abt79 wrote:
shubla wrote:I think that resource nodes should disappear every now and then and pop on different location.

Thus defeating the purpose of settling near them and making them equally available to everyone.
What's the point then?

This would be nice - as it is currently large factions will bot them all and no one else will ever get any of them. I see no point in a non-botter claiming any of them as the bots will pull the resources as soon as they spawn.

Found all sorts of resource nodes, the only one that had anything was a clay pit and the heart tree. Both are the more pointless special resources (currently)

While I don't necessarily think the current implementation of these nodes is great, you're misunderstanding how they work, I think. Loftar has already stated that they only refill from a global pool, you're not draining other nodes by harvesting from an individual one.
jorb wrote:Audiosmurf isis a fantastic poster/genius and his meatintellect is huge

NORMALIZE IT
banok wrote:i've been playing hnh thru 10 years of involuntary celibacy and I always build my palisade in 5 minutes so if a new player cant figure it out straight away they can get fucked and chug bleach
Audiosmurf

Postby Rance-sama » Mon Feb 22, 2016 4:04 am

boreial wrote:My observations of W9 so far,

Even after traveling for 14 hours, I have found it too crowded for my game play style. (dedicated Hermit) If I have a neighbor within an hours walk from me that is too close for what I like, (personal opinion).

As for the new resources/wonders, whatever they will be finally called by the player base, I think they are a touch silly, I understand some players relish having something to fight over, but again, just not my style, I firmly believe in defending your home, but not in fighting over abstract resources. again, just my personal opinion.

I do give kudo's on the river system, especially traveling through mountainous regions, the panaramics in said cases are superb. yet with the map size at it's current size, just too many rivers and inter-connecting lakes means that finding a remote area is again just seemingly impossible.

With 2 Bronze accounts until August or September, I suppose I won't be just dropping the game, however I am sorely disappointed in the direction that I see the game heading, with a map base too small, and the siege/warfare introduction, at this juncture I sincerely doubt I will be renewing.

You should probably stick to single player games, MMOs aren't for you.
Rance-sama

Postby Glorthan » Mon Feb 22, 2016 4:21 am

boreial wrote:With 2 Bronze accounts until August or September, I suppose I won't be just dropping the game, however I am sorely disappointed in the direction that I see the game heading, with a map base too small, and the siege/warfare introduction, at this juncture I sincerely doubt I will be renewing.

The new siege system could have been a lot less forgiving on hermits, as it is implemented current raiding noobs probably won't happen so much (as I had feared with a siege overhaul) due to the cost and amount of time required to do so for no gain. It's far more forgiving than when palibashing existed.
Glorthan

Postby naosnule » Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:48 am

MagicManICT wrote:But it's the same size map as every world since the game went online*. The difference is that people are spawning in all corners of the map instead of being dropped centrally.

*with the exception of w8. Also will note that w3 on have had extensions added at some point after starting with worlds ending at sizes from 7x7 to 11x11 or larger.

Yes, due to the random distribution, instead of having concentrated areas, we got spread out, which means that it is much harder to get far away from people despite the world size being the same.
naosnule

Postby Turtlesir » Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:03 pm

you now start starving under 2000 energy. major mechanic change missing from OP, jorb.
Turtlesir

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements