Game Development: Bugskatchewan

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Bugskatchewan

Postby chrisrock » Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:27 am

LOVE the changes with the barley and flour, i've been complaining about this to myself and didn't know everyone else thought the same way.
just a couple days ago i expanded my farm A LOT just so i could get enough flour to feed myself +1.
i didn't wanna have to have a huuuuuge crop of anything. some of us like to live simpler lives.
chrisrock

Postby Lunarius_Haberdash » Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:35 am

MagicManICT wrote:I can't speak for barley without looking it up (48 lbs to a bushel), but typical wheat harvests in my neck of the world is about 40 bushels (60 lbs, or 27.25 kg) per acre (4046 sq m). An acre would be around 63x64 tiles. US Ag report says barley is about 45 bushels per acre. Have fun doing the math if you want "realistic" numbers.

Using Colorado's average it's 25 bushels of Barley an acre (though it can be as high as 40, in particularly fruitful years). That comes out to about 3.36 tiles per pound (or approximately 7 tiles per KG) for a 1 KG loaf of bread for 25 bushels per acre, or 2 tiles per loaf of 1kg bread on a 40 bushel an acre field.

In short, these new yields are STUPID, and the previous one was far more accurate. 2.5 loaves of 1kg bread per tile is just over the top.
jorb: I don't want *your* money. You are rude and boring. Go away.
Sevenless: We already know real life has some pretty shitty game mechanics, it's why we're here instead.
Avu: The end is near it has finally come to pass: I agree with Lunarius...
Shubla: There are also other reasons to play this game than to maximize your stat gain.
Lunarius_Haberdash

Postby RickyP602 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:48 am

Lunarius_Haberdash wrote:
MagicManICT wrote:I can't speak for barley without looking it up (48 lbs to a bushel), but typical wheat harvests in my neck of the world is about 40 bushels (60 lbs, or 27.25 kg) per acre (4046 sq m). An acre would be around 63x64 tiles. US Ag report says barley is about 45 bushels per acre. Have fun doing the math if you want "realistic" numbers.

Using Colorado's average it's 25 bushels of Barley an acre (though it can be as high as 40, in particularly fruitful years). That comes out to about 3.36 tiles per pound (or approximately 7 tiles per KG) for a 1 KG loaf of bread for 25 bushels per acre, or 2 tiles per loaf of 1kg bread on a 40 bushel an acre field.

In short, these new yields are STUPID, and the previous one was far more accurate. 2.5 loaves of 1kg bread per tile is just over the top.

who cares.
RickyP602

Postby Shiala » Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:56 am

Love the change to flour. Thanks for the update!
Shiala

Postby LadyV » Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:10 am

Lunarius_Haberdash wrote:

We are talking medieval farming. and average year mighr be 5-7 bushels and acre while a good year might be 8-12. Agro science, pesticides, genetic modification of crops... do not exist yet.

Besides its a game and in order o be fun something have to be suspended in reality. :)
LadyV

Postby Shoeeee » Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:45 am

Bone quality is insanely better now. Time for some quality overkill bone arrows.
Shoeeee

Postby Granny » Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:49 am

Thanks for the change of flour, that was a very welcome change. I still think it should give as much as in Legacy, but this is at least better. Next up for barley is to work on growth time I hope. It is painfully slow.
Granny

Postby Lunarius_Haberdash » Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:54 am

LadyV wrote:We are talking medieval farming. and average year mighr be 5-7 bushels and acre while a good year might be 8-12. Agro science, pesticides, genetic modification of crops... do not exist yet.

Besides its a game and in order o be fun something have to be suspended in reality. :)

The counter-argument can be made that reality can enhance fun by deepening immersion. But that's an argument that doesn't hold water here, unfortunately.

We all have our tastes, mine run to the simulator aspect... But there are few to no MMO simulators, so one must choose the best of all possible options.

Haven is, and remains, that.
jorb: I don't want *your* money. You are rude and boring. Go away.
Sevenless: We already know real life has some pretty shitty game mechanics, it's why we're here instead.
Avu: The end is near it has finally come to pass: I agree with Lunarius...
Shubla: There are also other reasons to play this game than to maximize your stat gain.
Lunarius_Haberdash

Postby Itanu » Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:19 am

Not realistic enough? If I wanted a medieval life simulator, I would go and do backbreaking menial labour for 12 hours a day in the fields just to feed my self and family a meagre diet of shitty bread made of whole grains mixed in with dirt so they wouldn't get so hungry.
But actually, I would rather just play an idealised version of medieval history: Haven. Where I don't have to face the reality that medieval life sucked for most people.
Itanu

Postby Avu » Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:31 am

Can we take the larpers behind the shed and shoot them now? 20 by 20 field is small to you? Wtf. Try farming on your own plot. Our plots are quite large and that's still one full quarter of it just for barley theres a lot of other crops, trees animals houses to fit in. Do we need to have 100 by 100 plots now to please the larpers? God damn it man. If you have too much barley plant less damnit.

Oh yeah what fep/ingredients do the badger sausages give?
Also want more sausages.
"Since all men count themselves righteous, and since
no righteous man raises his hand against the innocent,
a man need only strike another to make him evil."
Avu

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements